Thread: 1996 bearcat engine swap

Default 1996 bearcat engine swap

I have a 1996 bearcat with a 340. I have been thinking of putting a 440 f/c engine in it. My plan was to find a 440 f/c and rebuild it. Would this be a simple swap pull the motor hook up the wires, carb, exhaust, ect and drive? The 340 had electirc start, but I really don't need it so I was going to leave it off. I really like the snow-go for trapping, but if I could get a engine for the right price and rebuild it with new seals, bearing, pistons, ect it would be a new machine without the price tag. I was thinking the little extra power would be nice also. Does anyone know if the only difference is the jug size between these two engines. Thanks for any info on this.

Biggest issues will be engine mounts (are they the same) and clutch alignment. If you are a good welder you can move the engine mounts, but that would be major modification. If you clutch alignment is slightly off, you will eat up belts on a regular basis.

If A/C offered a 440 for that year it may be an easy swap. The rebuild is no big deal, 2-strokes are a piece of cake.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

They had a 340, 440, and the bigger 550 or so. i have a repair manual andit is the same for the 340 and 440. That is what I was thinking that they are same lower half of the engine and maybe just bigger jugs on the top end (if that makes any sence).

I like bigger jugs!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    They had a 340, 440, and the bigger 550 or so. i have a repair manual and it says for the 340 and 440. That is what I was thinking that they are same lower half of the engine and maybe just bigger jugs on the top end (if that makes any sťance).
    i used to do a lot of swapping of the ZRT chassis's building mtn sleds and such... mos of the the chassis are the same in similar year models.. what you may find is that the Engine mounts drop right in... you may need to pull the mounts out of the donor sled as well.. ( brackets could be longer) but the chassis bolt holes will be the same....

dropping a larger engine in may also need to include the driven shaft...

exaple..

800 zrt triple into 600zrt triple slot...

direct drop in.

every thing on right matches up great... drop in new can..

drive clutch is 2 inches further over from where it should be as the crank is longer on the 800 then the 600...

remove driven clutch brake disk and chain case... install longer shaft and put back together...

the point is.. each year model chassis is designed to take each engine for that chassis and others...however there may be some accessory bolt on additions that may need to be included... brackets, shafts, exhaust cans... pips... etc etc..

and DO NOT forget the exhust from the donor sled... 340/440 have different pipes. and flow rates. you'll burn pistons mixing them up
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Is this something that a amature snow go repair man can do? I have rebuilt old snow machines 1974 and didnt have that hard of a time, but have never swaped out an engine. I dont even know if I can find a engine yet. I'm looking for one that needs to be rebuild and turn it into a winter project. I figured I would use the 340 this winter while I rebuild the new engine and then drop the engine in next summer.

Yes it is. But do as the other guys have said, and check to make sure before you leap in with both feet. Go onto the AC parts websites and check the part numbers for the motor mounts; same numbers = easy swap and no changes. Find another sled like yous with the bigger motor, check the dimensions. Are the part numbers for the 340 and 440 upper/lower case halves the same? How about the connecting rods? Check that out. If the numbers are all the same except for the pistons and jugs (larger diameter), then you are in-like-Flynn. Check the part numbers on the pipes and Y-pipe too to make sure the pipe will be the same. Since you have the repair manual, you can check the center-to-center distance for the clutches and alignment.
    A few hours of well though-out research will save you a pain in the butt and $$$$ spent.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

swapdonkey, I have a 97 bearcat with the 550 engine in it. I live in anchorage so you could come and look and measure anything you need to

shoot me a pm if interested

You may also call John at 90s and older in the valley. He is very sharp and might even have what you need.

After looking at a few things, I don't know if it would be worth the swap over. If I could get a engine for cheap then yes I would do it, but it would have to be for a few hundred dollars. It seems with the price of snow gos that I would be better off just getting a bigger snow machine. I thought it would be a fun project, but more then likely wouldn't be cost effective. I figure that once I get to the 4000 mile mark I will just rebuild the top end and drive it like I stole it. New pistons, rings, bearing. I have also thought that I will more then likely take off the oil injection and just premix my gas. I have seen more then one of them fail and that seems to be one of the weakest links on most snow gos. I have done that on all of my tundras and it has worked well.

In my opinion, the weakest link on any sno-go out there would be the rider, not parts. Lack of maintenance will kill any sled.

Agreed. I have never heard of an oil injection system failing. The owner may have mixed incompatible oils, or not changed the little oil filter, or other, but not the system itself.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...