Thread: about moose....

Default about moose....

i observed a young bull moose late this fall with his right horn busted at his skull! i swear i was seeing brain matter in the binos...didnt get any pictures unfortunately but it was very interesting, though a bit of a sad sight. i wouldnt think he could have made it much longer. he was in poor shape when i saw him come down a little drainage directly below me as i glassed for bear. watched him at sixty yrds or so with my spotting scope and it was absolutley broken at the skull...anyone else seen this.

he was in the same country with a bunch of larger bulls and i think he picked his last fight.

anybody observed this. i've seen a bunch of moose, and lots of broken horns, but never at the base. my boss has observed this as well...more than once. that's just gotta hurt. crazy what a guy will do for a shot of tail!

bears had a good last meal before denning up most likely. Though I have seen some deer survive this. If it is really broken too deep though and they live they would have malformed antlers on that side or none at all. Definitely a bad way to go. And the Anti's say we are cruel for shooting them and making a clean quick kill, I would love to force them to watch that bull die slow, or maybe what happens when a pack of wolves gets a herd of caribou cornered right after they have calved!!!
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Yeah ive found sheds that were very bloody and still had a part of the skull attached to the burr on a moose twice now, once on a elk and several on deer, on one of moose the i found both sides in a draw, and followed the blood trail down the hill, there he lay frozen solid dead from what i can guess bleeding to death or internal head trama. caint figure out why it happens or how they do it, fighting or in the case of shedding trying to knock them off?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    Yeah ive found sheds that were very bloody and still had a part of the skull attached to the burr on a moose twice now, once on a elk and several on deer, on one of moose the i found both sides in a draw, and followed the blood trail down the hill, there he lay frozen solid dead from what i can guess bleeding to death or internal head trama. caint figure out why it happens or how they do it, fighting or in the case of shedding trying to knock them off?
    Moose sex change gone wrong......

Well I dont know if this is what happened, but one Winter me and the kids watched two bull moose in Kincaid park. A 30 inch bull kept poking and challenging a 45 incher who was calmly feeding on willows. Finally he turned and gently pushed past the harasser and started eating some new bushes. He seemed oblivious, but we couldnt believe that small moose. He was sooner or later going to get his lunch handed to him and would look something like you are describing!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Is it ethical and/or legal to end it quick for him at that point? If I'd seen that, I would have had the conversation with the little angel and demon on each shoulder about what to do.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Got in a fight with the missus and her new boy, and was beating his brains out, lol ( could'nt resist)

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Is it ethical and/or legal to end it quick for him at that point? If I'd seen that, I would have had the conversation with the little angel and demon on each shoulder about what to do.
    ummmm, definitely not legal as it was after season...and in a perfect world, yeah i'td be nice to put him down...but it aint a perfect world ya know? nature happens and im not sure i'd have picked that particular animal to fill my tag with on the basis of putting him out of his misery to tell you the truth. i'm not sure what i'd have done had i been hunting for personal meat....a highly agitated mortally wounded bull might not be my first pick, were it an any bull area (it wasnt)..........but....it sure would've been hard not helpin the little guy out knowin that i could....i'm not sure what i would have done. interesting question.

Can you kill a moose like that (walking with a death sentence) and give it to charity or the state (knowing it gets given away charitably) without penalty?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Can you kill a moose like that (walking with a death sentence) and give it to charity or the state (knowing it gets given away charitably) without penalty?
    If you hit it with your car first. It would be a slippery slope if the general public started making those decisions on a regular basis. It really sucks, but nature has to run it's course sometimes...

Not unless you called the troopers and they responded or gave you permission to do it. (Or the bio at F&G) I had to do it once with a 45 inch moose that came out second best to a 65 inch bull while I was on Elmendorf. We had to call to get permission to put it down. It went to charity.

while we're talking about it....a few years back i watched a group of eight wolves (seven blacks and a big gorgeous gray) corner a pregnant cow moose in the river and keep her there for nearly seventy two hours, not letting her get to the bank or dry land....the moose was very visible, and some townsfolk saw the moose and raised a big stink about putting the moose out of it's misery. it was left up to the local trooper and he opted for shooting the moose and donating the meat?!?!?!? to a local church. i thought it to be the very worst decision that could have been made under the circumstances. horrible meat for the church, and by doing so it only pushed those eight wolves (that very much needed the meat after three days) to go find another big, slow, perfectly healthy cow moose to murder...an odd decision by the trooper.

side note: i missed that **** big gray...led him just a hair too much in a stiff crosswind at dawn the second day they were harrassing the moose...i was layin on the river bank getting sandblasted in a thirty knot crosswind and compensated too much, shot right in front of him.....needless to say after i pulled the trigger they didnt show themselves in the light of day the rest of the ordeal...*******s.

anyway, that was an example of a special permission given by the authorities to interfere with nature. so i assume they can make those calls...but we cant.

in my opinion this is a good example of why it's usually not the best to intervene...granted, what sets us apart as human beings is the ability to have compassion and a sympathetic plight...but we should also use the more complex brain we've been given to understand the big picture, and in this particualar scenario the big picture dicatated that if the moose was taken from the wolves, and killed anyway, then it would merely push those same wolves (now even hungrier) to find another moose...
    no one gained...
    not the church (bad meat, and they werent starving people...just church people)
    not the wolves (had to go find another moose to feed eight hungry wolf mouths)
    not the moose, as she ended with the same results and i'll garauntee another prego cow was found and killed by the pack within the week.

In that situation I would have definitely shot the wolves, not the moose.
    I'm just considering that people do shoot a road-injured (not yet dead) moose up here and arent cited for it. This is all pure conjecture just for the heck of it, but I dont see the difference when people put a moose out in that situation. It probably does depend on which LEO you deal with, and his particular mood that day.

A friend and I found a cow moose caught in a wolf snare once. The old girl had her mouth wired shut and front leg all tangled in the snare. I took all kinds of photos for evidence, shot her, gutted her, cut her in 1/2 for easy transport later, tarped her over, flagged it, and called the troopers. The trooper didn't give me any grief. He retrieved the cow and donated it to charity - I hope!

I'd say you had better have darned good evidence (photo) that the animal is absolutely suffering and doomed. Of course, maybe he didn't give me grief because she was caught in a man-made device as opposed to natural causes - hmmm? Of course another trooper whom I told the story to said he would have written me a ticket. He was a cheechako and I would have raised holy hell if ticketed for that. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I knew somebody had to have dealt with this before. jpost: I certainly would try to get a pic or some sort of evidence. If a moose had his head split open the evidence is attached but could be fabricated after the fact. Touchy.
    If I had seen ninefoot's moose, and it was really bad, I might consider shooting him, butchering him and anonymously dropping him off with the troopers.

even shooting a road kill is technically illegal On ly the troopers are supposed to do it. If a trooper wanted to he could cite you for illegal out of season harvest. it would be stupid, but he could. I was threatened with it once when I hit a moose and broke its back. Troopers said they would be a few hours, so I said I would shoot it so it didn't suffer all that time. They said if I did they would charge me. I said fine I won't shoot it and hung up then cut the moose throat instead. I have little tolerance for arrogance and stupidity that makes an animal suffer like that. I waited for the troopers and told the older senior trooper what I did. The younger one wanted to charge me the older one said I was ok. Sometimes you do the right thing and get lucky, but it could go the other way too and then you might not hunt for awhile.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else