Thread: Taurus PT145

Default Taurus PT145

Seems like a nice little carry gun. Any first hand experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Seems like a nice little carry gun. Any first hand experience?
    I bought a PT 111 (similar model but in 9mm) in '97 or '98. I quickly determined that they missed the model designation; should have been POS 111. I returned the pistol for warranty work and they replaced my pistol (took about 3 months)--they determined it was "unrepairable"; I couldn't disagree with their diagnosis. I've had other bad experiences with various Taurus handguns and will not and cannot recommend them for carry. Maybe a nice shooter, so long as going bang when you pull the trigger is considered optional. I know that others love their Taurus handguns, to each his own, but I've bought my last Taurus.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

This is my experience: I've had 2 Taurus PT 145's. Was pinched for money one time and sold it. Bought another one after a bit. I like the gun a lot and haven't had any problems with it shooting or reliablility. Granted, I don't shoot a bunch through it but I shoot it enough to feel comfortable shooting it. I like it's ergonomics and size. It's not the most accurate but then again, it's a pistol. I take care of it, keep it clean and use good ammo. Not as sexy as a 1911 but not a bad gun either.

Of the two taurus that I have owned both have been great guns, I owned a pt99 and it never failed to shoot no matter what ammo I put in it, I have now a 44 mag revolver and i have had people who own S&W 629s say they would rather have my gun in the forest then theirs. Just like anything you buy you can get a lemon.

I own a PT745 and it performs flawlessely. The wife was using it for her carry weapon until I purchased the PT 138 Pro (380) and she liked it better, less kick. And then she decided she needed a pink carry gun so we bought a pink PT 24/7 Pro C (9mm), and she really likes it too. Back to the PT 745, I have shot reloads and commercial rounds through the pistol without any problems and no fail to feeds. The wife did limp wrist it one time, but no other problems. Easy to break down and clean. I also have the Taurus 738 TCP (380), the wife wanted it in pink and I said no, because I was pretty sure she would not like it...being all double action blow back finger hurting little gun I thought it would be, and it was. The first one I had was complete and total "dud". It fired two shots and would not recycle the hammer so it could fire again. Sent it back to Davidson's and they sent me a new one. This one has fired well over 200 rounds and hasn't missed a beat. I know, I went off on a "tangent" but hey, I did talk about all Taurus pistols, and they are all compacts, and they are all for concealed carry. I would trust any of these to go bang! if and when I needed them too. Hope this helps.

I work on guns for most of a living. Taurus products in general seem to have a high failure rate. The solution is to send them back to Taurus in Miami, Florida. For a few more dollars you can buy a higher quality, more reliable product. Take a little more time and don't let low price be the deciding factor in what you get. In the end, buy what you like, even if it is a Taurus. It is your money after all. But I would advise against it. I don't use or buy them. I just work on the stuff. Rant off.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Snyd-
    You asked for 1st hand experience on the PT145. I picked one up several years ago, I liked the ergonomics, high capacity. I had several 'failures to fire' with the firing pin failing to strike the primer far enough to fire - even when the slide/barrel were fully in battery. I really wanted to like the gun - but the bottom line after putting 500 rounds through it, was that I could not trust my life to it. I also was concerned about quality reports on the frame cracking near the slide on the frame. I have one other experience with a Taurus PT101, which again I liked the whole idea of the gun. I just couldn't get past quality issues.

Bottom Line: As cool and interesting ideas as Taurus products have at times - I will *never* own another one. Firearms are serious business and I never want to be in a position of needing one and have it fail, or worse be injured by one, or have a loved one injured because of either catastrophic malfunction or a failure which prevents me from defending them.

I'm kind of a Lurker, but I read all that you write Snyd - you have a solid approach to things and I'd hate to see you pick up something inferior.

Thanks guys. USAFA_Dad, was yours 1st, 2nd or 3rd series? I understand there were some issues with earlier ones but that the 3rd series Millenium Pro's are a different animal.

Sorry for the late reply Snyd. I believe it was 2nd series (it had a side plate and improved pins). I hope you are right - but I have to go with the rule "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

If you decide to go with it, I'd like to hear your experience - I use a mini-kimber single stack now - very happy with it.