Thread: Kodiak Bison Hunt Raffle, Bison Down!

Default Kodiak Bison Hunt Raffle, Bison Down!

Again I would like to thank all the forum members who purchased tickets for the Kodiak bison hunt to support project healing waters fly fishing.

The winner of the raffle went on his hunt today and I had the privilege to tag along. This was a hunt. The first hour we spotted about four different herds from the road. When we spotted a heard with some nice bulls the stalk was on. When we first moved into position the herd got a little nervous and moved away from us making us backtrack about half a mile to the beach and try again. Once on the beach got back into range and again they moved out. We then walked a few hundred yards down the beach to cut them off and that did the trick. Then came the next hard part, waiting for that big bull to step away from the herd in order to get a shot. Once this happened Andy's 375 rang out and the bison ran about 40 yards but the rest of the herd surrounded it and we could not even see if it was down. After about fifteen minutes they started to move away and we could see this big boy lying on the ground. The bison was aged at about ten years old.

Two and half hours later we were loading up the trucks and heading home, soaking wet and somewhat hypothermic but very happy!

Frank Bishop is mentioning doing another hunt next year but this will most likely be for a "meat bull", a four to six year animal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by akflyfisher; 11-03-2010 at 20:46. Reason: Pictures were doubled

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

AHHHHHHH!!! THAT COULDA BEEN MEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Dude thank you so much for sharing that with us... i was looking at those stubs today still in my window sill at the office.. More than happy to have donated to a good cause.. what a WONDERFUL looking bull... would love more pics if you have them.. .and tell the lucky hunter CONGRATULATIONS from me and my family for sure...

thanks for doing this...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up Bison Hunt

Due to the driving rain/wet snow I did not get many pictures but here is another view. Andy is really tall so he actually makes the bison look small.

I would like to thank the winner, Andy, for letting me take home the brisket section. Hot sticks will be on the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default big bodied bison!

His fur looks to be in fine shape too. So tall-bodied.

The herd surrounding the wounded bison is typical from what I know, which is of limited experience. After downing one you don't just march up there and shoo the others away...

Where was he hit?

Thanks for the great pictures and for sharing. (+1))