Thread: Anyone else using a 223 up here for wolf control, or mainly coyote and fox?

Default Anyone else using a 223 up here for wolf control, or mainly coyote and fox?

I just put a new Remington 700 223 SPS Tactical 20" bull barred rifle on layaway at Sportsman's. Rifle is on sale, and got the military discount and a $40.00 rebate from Remington to boot, rifle cost me slightly over $500.00. This is going to be my carry all this winter. Gonna keep it in the Jeep and snowmobile this entire season. The reviews were fantastic, sub MOA w/ just about every factory ammo out there, less than .5 MOA was reported everywhere, plus it's got the 1/9 rate of twist instead of the SPS Varmint's 1/12 twist so I can shoot heavier bullets accuratly and not be limited to 55 gr bullet. I got some Hornady TAP, Hornady Match HPBT and V-Max bullets to try out, got the bullets weight in the 60's-70's grain weight, 65, 68 and 75 I believe but not sure. I figure this with a nice Leupold or Burris will be a good setup for me. I've only predator hunted a few times and am trying to really get into it this yr. Plan is to call for coyotes and fox but if the opportunity would arise I'd live to bag a wolf. Got some wolves and coyotes around my remote property near Talkeetna, Willow west of the Parks, and getting out there is about a 30 mile snowmobile ride along frozen rivers and flats, perfect place to get a long shot off at some canines. Just testing the waters to see what you guys use for wolves and yotes up here. I know 223 might be a little light for a wolf but I've seen some pics of guys up here w/ a 223 and wolves they shot. Can't wait for some more snow!

Love my AR for wolf hunting been carrying some type of 223 on my line for something like 25 yrs now.Yes they can be really hard on fox but it puts the wolves down just fine. Most of the wolf hunters in this area are using 223s
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Started Ski-Doodling on Sunday. It is going to be a good winter.

I and my buds use .223s for wolf. They have ARs and I a Daewoo K2. Of course we also all have .17HMRs and use them on the foxes.

Just a word of advice on bullet selection for the .223 for wolf and yote sized animals. Stay away from the V-max bullets. They don't penetrate and tend to explode on the surface. They are also too destructive on foxes. I suspect the Hornady TAP will do the same since it's designed as an anti-personnel round.

Start with a 55gr soft-point and work your way up from there.
    Now what ?

.22-250 with a 4-12 scope. Should get the job done this year.

Think I wouldn't have a problem at all with a 223 for varmints. Good hit, dead animal for sure.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I had a clean kill today on a fox shooting a 69 grain 223. I was worried about the big blow out through the exit, to my surprise it was a clean entry and exit, I use this heavy of a load for wolves to, all around I love this mix.

Good to hear all of the positives about the 223. Who else besides Sportsman's has a good selection of factory loaded ammo? Looking for some bullets, between the common 55 gr and to heavy 75 gr. Thanks

check out ammo can in anch, they were pretty fair
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Swing by Matsu Tactical off of Palmer Wasilla HWY. It's a small shop, but they can order anything you want and they get it quick. I went in there Thursday looking for .17 HMR FMJ ammo. They didn't have it in stock, but it was in yesterday.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Most everyone in Southwest uses the .22-250 or .223, but I work with two guys who like to be different: one uses a .222 (he likes to cal it the "triple deuce"), and the other a 12ga. with 00 buck. The shotty fellow claims the balls make nice clean holes in and out, and you only need to hit them with one or two balls. Most folks use FMJ.

The .17 HMR is catching on in a big way, but it hasn't come close to the almost ubiquitous .22-250 and .223.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well i opted for the 6.8 Spc, shooting Stag Arms "black" gun. Topped it off with a Nikon Coyote BDC. So far, love the gun. the way it feels, balance, trigger, accuracy. To date have only busted one wolf. But the kill was very fast, clean, and couldnt find the exit hole. Shooting Hornady 110 gr V-max's. thats all i can find so far. Muzzle velocity is 2500 fps. I will hopefully get more chances this winter calling. always seem to cross paths with a wolf, or 4... UPS has my caller from Foxpro, due in mid week. cant wait to do some night ops! wolves, foxes, lynx, & yotes... hopefully this setup works. will learn many pro's & cons. Its all a leaning process. Great forum, great ideas, great people!