Thread: Juneau Geese

Default Juneau Geese

Anyone been seeing geese out on the wetlands recently? In the last couple of weeks we've seen ~10 flocks, all just out of range or 5 minutes before shooting. Saturday we had a flock 6 come within 30 yds, but they caught us by surprise and we didn't know if shooting had started, didn't want to risk it. Think I'm gonna try and whack one this weekend, just got a dozen new shells, along with some silhouettes I'm borrowing.
    Anyone else been having luck?

I've seen about the same. Haven't got a shot at one yet. You could definately get lucky though. If anything, goose dekes do help bring in ducks too.

It's usually not-so-good until Auke Lake freezes up and they don't have as many places to roost during the day.

Your best bet would probably be way out on the flats by the river on the peninsula side, or somewhere in the flight-path to Auke Lake...just gotta hope they take a look at your decoys after shooting-time. Make sure to hide well.

I've been surprized how many teal are still around. Huge flocks last time I was out.
    Nice Marmot.

Skookumchuck is right. Auke Lake is their refuge while it's still open. I know a lot of Juneau guys are lurking on this thread so I'll make a public plea...

DO NOT SKY BUST THESE BIRDS AS THEY COME OVER MEND. PENN!!!!

When you compare our geese (Vancouver subspecies) to the rest of the geese in the Northern Hemisphere, they rank at the top for ease of decoying and responding to calling. They WILL swing within range if you have a halfway decent hide and a few decoys. Guys get so excited at the prospect of shooting a goose that they start blazing away at 80+ yards and all they do is educate the birds!

How do I know this is true?! I've been hunting in my layout boat, well hidden, good decoys, decent calling and had the birds coming over Mend. Penn. on a string only to have "opportunist" sky bust or literally try to belly crawl on my spread. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT! I've had flocks fly over the islands with 2 weeks left in the season!!! These birds only get wary when people say "to heck with it" and start sky busting because of "goose fever".

Everyone using the refuge could have a good shoot on some geese if they'd just let the birds work into a decent range. I've heard reports that more guys are starting to take ques from the goose hunters in Oregon and Washington with their improved blinds, decoys and calls so the old system of sneaking on geese or blazing away at birds WAAAAAY up there is going to make it harder for anyone but the best outfitted guys to bag a bird.

Erich

saw at least four flocks out this morning... surprised cause they all flew well after shooting time but i didnt get in front of them

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870 View Post
    Skookumchuck is right. Auke Lake is their refuge while it's still open. I know a lot of Juneau guys are lurking on this thread so I'll make a public plea...

DO NOT SKY BUST THESE BIRDS AS THEY COME OVER MEND. PENN!!!!

When you compare our geese (Vancouver subspecies) to the rest of the geese in the Northern Hemisphere, they rank at the top for ease of decoying and responding to calling. They WILL swing within range if you have a halfway decent hide and a few decoys. Guys get so excited at the prospect of shooting a goose that they start blazing away at 80+ yards and all they do is educate the birds!

How do I know this is true?! I've been hunting in my layout boat, well hidden, good decoys, decent calling and had the birds coming over Mend. Penn. on a string only to have "opportunist" sky bust or literally try to belly crawl on my spread. YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT! I've had flocks fly over the islands with 2 weeks left in the season!!! These birds only get wary when people say "to heck with it" and start sky busting because of "goose fever".

Everyone using the refuge could have a good shoot on some geese if they'd just let the birds work into a decent range. I've heard reports that more guys are starting to take ques from the goose hunters in Oregon and Washington with their improved blinds, decoys and calls so the old system of sneaking on geese or blazing away at birds WAAAAAY up there is going to make it harder for anyone but the best outfitted guys to bag a bird.

Erich
    Over off engineeres cutoff we regularly hear people blasting 5-10 minutes early at geese. They really aren't that smart it seems, but after getting shot at anytime they get within 100 yards of a hunter, they do get wary.

There is also a couple of flocks that stay on the far side of mendenhall lake during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Skookumchuck View Post
    I've been surprized how many teal are still around. Huge flocks last time I was out.
    Still quite a few widgeon around too... We spooked a full-color drake teal on saturday, just before shooting. They sure do look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Over off engineeres cutoff we regularly hear people blasting 5-10 minutes early at geese. They really aren't that smart it seems, but after getting shot at anytime they get within 100 yards of a hunter, they do get wary.
    That's exactly the spot I'm talking about for sky busting, but I've had guys belly craw or do the "hunched-over stalk" on me or birds outside my decoys up and down the refuge.

One

Erich

I operate under the 100 and under I'll shoot rule...

I'll let you figure out what that means

:P

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I operate under the 100 and under I'll shoot rule...

I'll let you figure out what that means

:P
    Sky busting is just not ok.

We let it slide with geese and cranes. But only if we're doing the busting.

No goose sightings for me on Sunday. Didn't see many ducks for that matter. I have a feeling all the birds were out sleeping/loafing on open water since it was so calm.

I did see some swans this morning on my drive into work. They were outside the refuge, across the channel from the end of Channel Drive.

Erich

Quote Originally Posted by extrema View Post
    Sky busting is just not ok.

Oh c'mon....you just haven't hunted with me yet!

Gotta love em Briley extended chokes

I got within 50 yds of 30 on sunday, out near one of the islands. I didn't ever take a shot, because from where I was I knew if they flew I wouldn't be able to get off a second shot. If I had my full choke I would have taken a shot, but you always forget something.

I also had a mallard drake land on the ground near my shells, rather than with the duck decoys 20 feet away. They must really feel safe with geese around.

Ducks will decoy to geese, but not the other way around.

Who's chasing geese this weekend?

Erich

I got 2 shots off yesterday... still kicking myself for not getting one.
    I was set up near a flock on the ground, and was waiting for them to fly (they fly the same path every day I'm out there), but a person snuck up on them and spooked them in a different direction. I couldn't see them, but I could hear them. They flew about 10 yards above my head and caught be by surprise, and I wasnt able to take one down.

I'll see if I can get one this weekend.