Thread: any bou around Eureka or even cantwell

Default any bou around Eureka or even cantwell

thinking about a day trip has anybody been to eureka looking for bou and any sign, also thinking towards Cantwell, how is the Denali hwy, sure I will have to take 4 wheelers in Thanks

Denali highway getting a little bit of snow on it. definately need a 4 wheel drive, but lots of bou crossing the road from 155-185 richardson HWY

Didnt see anything around Eureka area. I heard some were around the lakes, but the best bet is the Denali Hwy and where bear 78 stated. Its to the point where sleds would be advisable on the Denali Hwy, but I still was able to take mine with a wheeler.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandbrett View Post
    Its to the point where sleds would be advisable on the Denali Hwy, but I still was able to take mine with a wheeler.
    Good luck.
    Yep, while we took a wheeler last weekend, we're transitioning to snowmachines this weekend. There might not be enough snow to go cross-country yet, snowmachines should be good for running the road and trails.

I went up behind Eureka last week, didn't want to mess with the crowds on the Denali. I left on Tuesday afternoon from the parking lot. Took the second outer trail just before Monument to the Nelchina without seeing a caribou track, i was the first and only person in there since the last snow which was that morning. I crossed the Nelchina and camped halfway to the Tyone. Glassed Wednesday morning, saw two bulls behind my camp without antlers. Went towards the Tyone River and found another big bodied bull without antlers, beautiful coat on top of a hill. Glassed the hills on the other side of the Tyone real good and found 2 big bulls with antlers, 1 cow and 1 bull without antlers on top of a mountain (more like a big hill). Went across the Tyone, up the hills and shot the bull with the largest rack, which the left side broke off when he hit the ground, there was no stink to the meat. It was a cold but great hunt and I didn't see anyone for 2 days. Only fresh bou tracks i saw on the way out were before Monument where the outer trail hooks onto the main trail. A few small herds were crossing there. I had no problems last Thursday pulling a loaded trailer with 4 wheeler out, only 3-4 inches of snow at the time. If they got a good snowfall since i would bring a snowmachine if possible. Good luck

So they have started dropping racks. I have always wondered about this since I have seen decent size bulls with a rack in the first week of Dec. But it seems they start sometime in early Nov. and continue dropping racks until early Dec. with the largest bulls often dropping first due to weight and wear and tear. Has anyone else seen anything different, or is this about right?
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

sounds like Eureka got about 12" and more to come, guess I will need to dig out the sled

Default Eureka bou

Yeah I thought it was mid november when they generally started dropping them, I was a little surprised to see the first 3 bulls without antlers back there at the end of October, when I just got done reading reports on nice bulls with antlers off the Denali. The bou I saw were not in big groups or migrating thru. Might be ones that hang out thru the year and thats why they dropped early??? Only saw 7 caribou, 6 bulls: only 2 with antlers and one cow. I was sarcasticly thinking when i shoot this bull, one of his antlers will fall off, and it sure as heck did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a great picture, sir. Very cool tines on that bull as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akgutpile View Post
    Yeah I thought it was mid November when they generally started dropping them, I was a little surprised to see the first 3 bulls without antlers back there at the end of October, when I just got done reading reports on nice bulls with antlers off the Denali. The bou I saw were not in big groups or migrating thru. Might be ones that hang out thru the year and thats why they dropped early??? Only saw 7 caribou, 6 bulls: only 2 with antlers and one cow. I was sarcasticly thinking when i shoot this bull, one of his antlers will fall off, and it sure as heck did.
    actually it is not so early... November 1 every year we have, seen many of the breeding bulls have dropped the rack immediately after the rut. it is kind of a oh **** i need to loose this stuff to survive mechanism for them.. they went nearly a month with out eating. and the extra weight during migration drags them down... soon most will shed.. except for the pregnant cows who will shed at calving time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

AKgutpile, great report and congratulations. What did you shoot it with?

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    AKgutpile, great report and congratulations. What did you shoot it with?
    Thanks TR and Brian. I shot it at 150 yards with a 300 rsaum with a 168 gr triple shock. Being this close, with a good standing still broadside shot, I felt comfy with a 6 inch or so behind the head neck shot. I didn't want to mess up any of the meat or chance it going off the edge of the mountain/hill that it was on and dying on some steep area since I was by myself with a "thru the rib" lung shot. It just went straight down where it stood with a broken neck. It's always nice when you can dispatch an animal like this in ways of cleaning it with no bloodshot meat (doesn't always go like this), and just plain out respect for the animal with a quick kill. What a good hunt. I did see one set of grizzly tracks, by the Nelchina River but never did find the bear.

Thanks Vince for the info on the bou rut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's an awesome looking bull. Lots of character with those long top tine and that double bez. I'd be dropping that one off at the taxidermist.

Akgutile, Nice Shot! And thanks for posting another picture. Almost too pretty to eat.