Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70" Moose Story

Default 70" Moose Story

Check out this hunt I read on another site.

Monstermuleys.com
    Hunting Forums
    Hunt Adventure Challenge
    The Great Adventure
    Skip to Posts #88-89

This is a huge bull but I don't know how they packed it out in only 6 trips, especially since they were 3 miles from camp. The guys partner made three trips in one day. That is 18 miles with 9 miles done while carrying very heavy loads. What do you think?

You can also post comments on the hunt at:

Monstermuleys.com
    Hunting Forums
    Sheep, Goats, Moose, Antelope
    Alaska Moose

To make it easier...

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-bi...rumID50&omm=88
    http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-bi...rumID50&omm=89

Not too sure about the 70"s though...but maybe close.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Seems reasonable. We usually get our Moose into 11 pieces (2 rear quarters, 2 front shoulders, 2 pelvis cut in half, 2 bags of ribs, 2 bags of neck meat and "sweet meats", and antlers). I can see 6 trips. Some LONG packing though.

Also, looks like a WIDE moose. Could reach 70" (others have). Want to see a 70" with GREAT palms though...then I'll really be impressed. All the ones i've seen have thinned out and not great palms or brow palms.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I was gonna say the same thing, heck of a moose but long and thin sums it up well.... After packing a couple goat loads off of Kodiak form the top to the salt I can see how the guy would make three 3 mile loads in a day. That country doesn't look like fun hiking but it certainly isn't Kodiak goat hiking.

Anybody remember the "TWO" yes two 80" moose that locked horns and both starved to death, the heads were in Eberhart's Sporting Goods Store.

I did meet both of them at the transporter office while they waited for the rain to clear on their way into the field. They were both plump and sassy with great expectations. The photos he posted show an Ernesto who is much more threadworn and beatdown. Based solely on that, I can believe it. Also, wanting to get out of the bush can be a great motivator-perhaps they prefer the comfort of a woman to the cold damp dirt.

Wow, that's not a story its a whole book he wrote!
    Very cool moose for sure - I like the heavier palm'd racks but sure wouldn't pass that bad boy up!
    Thanks for sharing AKHUNTINFOOL!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Ditto what Nikster said - we bumped into them in the 40 Mile Hunters office on the day they were heading into the field. The guy in the Wyoming hoodie had already done a successful caribou hunt in 40 Mile country with three other guys, and went back out to help his buddy bag a moose - man, that's the type of friend we could all use!

He mentioned that his Mystery Ranch pack handled heavy loads really well, so I can believe they did it in 6 trips.

Anyone know the reason for big moose to have thin palms? I shot a 63" this year with thin palms and am pretty curious as to what causes that... genetics, age etc.

Sounds reasonable to me. Beautiful moose too.

All I can say is very nice moose.

Alot of bigger moose end up spindly. Nice moose. I tend to gravitate towards the 60-65" bulls with big palms and brow tines! I've seen a few 70" bulls that had it all, but wasn't during season!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Alot of bigger moose end up spindly. Nice moose. I tend to gravitate towards the 60-65" bulls with big palms and brow tines! I've seen a few 70" bulls that had it all, but wasn't during season!
    I saw a monster in Denali (hard park). To give you an idea when I spotted it I thought it was 2 bull caribou standing there! I have no idea how big it truly was but I will go with huge! Seriously picture 2 quality bull caribou standing rump to rump broadside looking at you with a moose nose poking out between their butts.

I saw one that was around 75" with HUGE palms and big brows one fall. This was confirmed by a friend who flies also. He flies and said the bull was every inch of 75". Just one of those big old bulls! I am sure he died that winter as we didn't see him for the next couple of years. I wish I would have walked the 5 miles down to him and got some close ups. I've got a 70" bull that is shoulder mounted. It is a darn nice bull!

The moose is actually 69" and he was pretty young. He probably had some growing in the palms to do. I think the burs were less than 7".

Ernesto is a beast in the field or so I have heard.

I would guess that it was just genetics. Wide, spindly horned, small bases. Moose are different. Not usually too many young moose that get 70 inches.

Northway - throw up a pic of your 70" shoulder mount.

Jpost, I don't even have a picture of it when I shot it. Long story there. The shoulder mount is hanging in my buddies house in Glennallen as I had no where to put it. I need to do a little remodeling in the house we bought last year, so will be able to get it and hang here. It will be a close call with my 10' ceilings! It missed B&C because one antler was 10" shorter than the other, otherwise would have scored in the 240 range. I know my buddy had it scored SCI and it scored VERY high, but I don't remember what it was.

Gotcha - sounds like a dandy alright

Default 70 inch club...

Bull moose are like us guys. Some are short and fat, others tall and skinny (racks that is) while most are somewhere in between. It's great when you have a combination of good genes, habitat and other things that produce the monster bulls we all drool over.
    I was fortunate enough to harvest a "tall and skinny" bull, that went 70.5". Had double palms as well. Only 2 brow tines on each side, but I'm not that picky. LOL.
    Since Northway can't post his, I'll post mine. His wife has an even better bull than mine. She's a killer!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast