Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut/Salmon Charters

Default Halibut/Salmon Charters

Hey guys I have finally Decided I would like to go out on a halibut/salmon charter the summer of 2011 and im just trying to get some good info on when and what charter companies i should be looking into.If anybody has anything that might help me i would be eternally grateful.Oh and It would be in july or august that i would do this charter thanks guys.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Where do you want to go out of?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I was thinking valdez preferably

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    I was thinking valdez preferably
    I fish out of Homer and have never fished out of Valdez, so can't help you there.

i used to fish out of homer with the spirit charter but uhh i dont like the whole 25 people rotating for chickens idea.

i used to fish out of homer with the spirit charter but uhh i dont like the whole 25 people rotating for chickens idea.
    There are a few hundred charter operators in Homer that DON'T fish 25 people rotating for chickens, and some that will take only 1, 2, 3 or 4 people if that's what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    There are a few hundred charter operators in Homer that DON'T fish 25 people rotating for chickens, and some that will take only 1, 2, 3 or 4 people if that's what you want to do.
    True But i think this year im going to stick to valdez since its a bit closer,It usually takes ten hours to get to homer from fairbanks for me at least

In Valdez July and August the silver fishing is usually pretty good. Cheapest way for silvers is rent a boat from Fish Central. Halibut fishing you will need to get on one of the Gulf of Alaska Boats. Harvest Charters, Seclusion Charters, Reel Pleasure Charters, Halibut Grove, Orion Charters, Shark Tooth Charters, or Petre's Charters.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    In Valdez July and August the silver fishing is usually pretty good. Cheapest way for silvers is rent a boat from Fish Central. Halibut fishing you will need to get on one of the Gulf of Alaska Boats. Harvest Charters, Seclusion Charters, Reel Pleasure Charters, Halibut Grove, Orion Charters, Shark Tooth Charters, or Petre's Charters.
    Thank you very much for this info.Last summer I went out on a MWR charter and we were in a little 6 person boat in 8 foot waves lol hey we even passed icebergs bigger than the boat kinda scary.

Better pick someone good then, if Valdez is your destination. There's a fair amount of water that gets pounded hard by the commericial guys and sport fisherman. I have a number of friends who fish PWS and the Gulf and they've mentioned the same thing.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Hello Albradley I hope you enjoyed your time on our MWR trip. I have been running the boat since 2009 our boat is 26 foot and is actually rated for 13 people but because it is an uninspected vessel we are limited to 6 paying customers. Hope to see you again this season.
    Sincerely Warren

True But i think this year im going to stick to valdez since its a bit closer,It usually takes ten hours to get to homer from fairbanks for me at least
    Valdez---fish with 25 people rotating for chickens.
    Homer----go out and fish with you and the 2, 3 or 4 other people you want to fish with.

Sorry, but I'll take Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by captain.corbett View Post
    Hello Albradley I hope you enjoyed your time on our MWR trip. I have been running the boat since 2009 our boat is 26 foot and is actually rated for 13 people but because it is an uninspected vessel we are limited to 6 paying customers. Hope to see you again this season.
    Sincerely Warren
    Yea I had fun I still cant believe my dad caught the only halibut on the trip,But I really am looking foward to going out again.Im sure we could take you out for dinner again if your up for it.

Homer----go out and fish with you and the 2, 3 or 4 other people you want to fish with.

Im probably going to take the MWR charter in valdez this summer and A charter in seward with the family in late july.

There's no boats in Valdez that take 25 people,Mutt once again you don't know what your talking about. There's two party boat's in Valdez they take a max of 14 clients per boat, they don't go directly to chicken holes like homer boats, Homer is the chicken hole capital of the world, Valdez has larger fish on average.......

Gee, I'm sorry for misquoting what Albradley said. I thought he was saying he didn't like doing 25 person charters out of Valdez. Sorry. My mistake. Don't be so quick to criticize me on a quote from someone else.

I only take the number of people OUT OF HOMER that originally book a charter with me and I don't take them to a "chicken hole" and then run them home when they have their limit. If 2 people want to go fishing for halibut with me I will take just 2 people and not fill my boat up with the maximum capacity just to make money. If 1 person wants to go out with me I'll take just one person. If 5 people want to go out with me I'll take 5 people. But I will not add more people just to fill my boat out. I take pride in taking people out on intimate fishing trips and the people that I do take out seem to appreciate that fact. And I will take them to places where they have a very good chance of catching something more than just a "chicken" as you can see on my website. I take people out for the enjoyment of getting people into fish and doing everything I can to make sure they have a very intimate and enjoyable experience and catch the biggest fish possible.

Gee, I'm sorry for misquoting what Albradley said. I thought he was saying he didn't like doing 25 person charters out of Valdez. Sorry. My mistake. Don't be so quick to criticize me on a quote from someone else.

I only take the number of people OUT OF HOMER that originally book a charter with me and I don't take them to a "chicken hole" and then run them home when they have their limit. If 2 people want to go fishing for halibut with me I will take just 2 people and not fill my boat up with the maximum capacity just to make money. If 1 person wants to go out with me I'll take just one person. If 5 people want to go out with me I'll take 5 people. But I will not add more people just to fill my boat out. I take pride in taking people out on intimate fishing trips and the people that I do take out seem to appreciate that fact. And I will take them to places where they have a very good chance of catching something more than just a "chicken" as you can see on my website. I take people out for the enjoyment of getting people into fish and doing everything I can to make sure they have a very intimate and enjoyable experience and catch the biggest fish possible.
    Mutt I really do hope I am able to one day go fishing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    There's no boats in Valdez that take 25 people,Mutt once again you don't know what your talking about. There's two party boat's in Valdez they take a max of 14 clients per boat, they don't go directly to chicken holes like homer boats, Homer is the chicken hole capital of the world, Valdez has larger fish on average.......
    Umm..I think homer charters catch larger fish on average hence...All of their derby winners are larger than valdez's derby winners

Umm..I think homer charters catch larger fish on average hence...All of their derby winners are larger than valdez's derby winners
    I can think of a couple in the last few years that Valdez beat Homer,(Valdez 2007,343 pounds), I think Valdez beat Homer in 2009,322????and in 2010 Valdez DQed a 366 pound Halibut on a technicality.

And one big fish isn't the average,

I take many fishermen out every year, that have had it with Homer and their chickens, Granted the big fish are declining everywhere.

Mutt you are clearly not in it for the money. You are one of the few who dont try and fill a boat and give it your best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast