Thread: Chum pots

Default Chum pots

Chum pots i know some guys are using mesh bags but how about some made out of nice small mesh black wire?? What do you guys think should i build some??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Somebody will buy them Steve. I don't know how you would get a chum to swim in it though, most people prefer to use a seine or gillnet

I guess it might depend on the size, Steve. Personally, I'd be concerned about using anything on my anchor rode that's too rigid or made of wire that could chafe or otherwise hang up tight. I've seen some smaller wire mesh cylinders (maybe 2-3 inches in diameter and 8-10 inches long) that are intended to be deployed with a spare fishing rod. You can't get a whole lotta chum in those things, so I wondered how well they'd work (never used one).

We've always just used a piece of PVC about 10" x 2" with a bunch of holes drilled in it. Cap one end and a threaded plug in the other and ty-wrap it to the chain. If it hangs up, the ty-wraps will break and just slap another one on.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Somebody will buy them Steve. I don't know how you would get a chum to swim in it though, most people prefer to use a seine or gillnet
    Get some big aluminum rig with twin jets and making lots of bubbles to confuse them into swimming into it ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Hang a sign on the entrance that says LIVE NUDE GIRLS.

Seems to work on getting human chums into places.

(has anyone ever seen dead nude girls advertised? I saw some in NY NY that may have qualified.)
    Last edited by Alaskanmutt; 11-03-2010 at 14:47. Reason: Cause I can't spell today
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Hang a sign on the entrance that says LIVE NUDE GIRLS.

Seems to work on getting human chums into places.

(has anyone ever seen dead nude girls advertised? I saw some in NY NY that may have qualified.)
    No, but the BoobyTrap downtown on 4th used to advertise on their sign "26 Beautiful Girls and 2 ugly ones"
    the ugly ones was in fine print... I remember it well I bought my 1st whoops erm I mean I met my 1st GF there

Chum pots or bags are fairly cheap. You can get small metal ones at Sportsmans ware house for under $5.00. Plastic sand bags are $.49 plastic milk jugs are free at the dump.

I've always used pillow covers. Big, strong, good mesh, and cheap. I like using alot of chum, so the pillow case allows me to use 20 lbs of smelly junk!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I like the idea of a mini chum pot that attaches right to the line. You can fill it with chopped up herring, freeze it all and then snap it on. That way scent trail goes right back to your bait.
    we stopped using a chum sack on the anchor many years ago becasue it attracts fish to your anchor, which may not be up current of your bait, if the wind is not lined up with the tide. So if your boat is being pushed 20 degrees off your anchor by the wind( and your anchor is 200' in front of your boat, then the scent trail from your chum sack is running in a totally different direction than your baits.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I like the idea of a mini chum pot that attaches right to the line. You can fill it with chopped up herring, freeze it all and then snap it on. That way scent trail goes right back to your bait.
    we stopped using a chum sack on the anchor many years ago becasue it attracts fish to your anchor, which may not be up current of your bait, if the wind is not lined up with the tide. So if your boat is being pushed 20 degrees off your anchor by the wind( and your anchor is 200' in front of your boat, then the scent trail from your chum sack is running in a totally different direction than your baits.
    I agree AKCAPT......What I do now if the fishing is slow, is I mush up a couple herring,put them in a paper lunch bag,tie them to a clients rigging right above the weight, after the weight is back on the bottom for a couple of minutes I have him jig it real hard a couple of times, the paper sack tears up and you have chum heading down current from your hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I also like this idea. I take what ever I'm using for scent (herring, guts, whatever) and grind it in an old fashioned hand crank meat grinder. Then either freeze it in usable portions (I use gallon bags) for later use, or put it directly into the chum bag. I have a reel with braid line I have attached to a shovel handle (literally). I use a 20# ball and it drops pretty straight down (rod holder on the rail about mid cabin). It's out of the way, yet isn't so far away (as in attached to anchor).

I usually use an old plastic minnow trap I've had for years. Clip it right to my chain at the shackle. When not in use, it splits in 2 peices one fitting into the other for compact storage.