Thread: Ultralight Aircraft

Default Ultralight Aircraft

Has anyone seen or used Ultralight planes or helios to hunt off the beaten path?

Can't use Helo's in Alaska for hunting. And yes, to the Ultra-light.

An ultralight would be able to get you into a remote area but would not be able to carry out anything heavier than say a sheep cape. The range is also very limited on most ultras.
    An LSA aircraft like a Zenith CH750 would be the minium to carry out a load of meat.

the best part of the ultra light is you don't have to waste time and money learning to fly, you can get one and just go hunting! I beleive they come with instructions, and not being cert. A/C the weight and bal.stuff doesn't apply either, just put a bigger snowmobile engine on it and throw in a whole caribou!
    I'm just kidding, Alaska doesn't lend itself to ultra lights because of weather, wind, distance, terrain, turbulance. There are places and days you can fly them, but generally not offen enough to be practical.

I believe the "no license" loophole has been changed with the recent adoption of the Sport Pilot license requirement by the FAA.

thanks for ALL the info...NO ultralight for me

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    An ultralight would be able to get you into a remote area but would not be able to carry out anything heavier than say a sheep cape. The range is also very limited on most ultras.
    An LSA aircraft like a Zenith CH750 would be the minium to carry out a load of meat.
    well thats not entirely accurate... some of the newer trikes. have 2-3 person capacity... for about $16K.. and 500 lb or so payloads... i know a couple guys that spend a good part of year flying out of north pole to many remote areas.. and pack moose out in small loads.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A two seat ultralight (technically considered 'light sport aircraft') would be the ULTIMATE fishing machine. Imagine landing on your own private little slough or section of river to pull in a king.

There's quite a few that have two seat/weight capacity so you could take a boned out caribou/sheep or maybe 2 moose quarters at a time.

http://www.weedhopperusa.net/WEEDHOP...eedhopper.html

http://www.antares-us.com/index.cgi?...011220003552BQ

Both of these have 500lb+ total capacity so subtract your weight+fuel and you can carry that.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Could you imagine using one of these for spotting? Like, 24 hours and one minute before you plan on hunting? The Weedhopper has a stall speed of 28 mph. You could go low and slow enough to count brow tines.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    A two seat ultralight (technically considered 'light sport aircraft') would be the ULTIMATE fishing machine. Imagine landing on your own private little slough or section of river to pull in a king.

There's quite a few that have two seat/weight capacity so you could take a boned out caribou/sheep or maybe 2 moose quarters at a time.

http://www.weedhopperusa.net/WEEDHOP...eedhopper.html

http://www.antares-us.com/index.cgi?...011220003552BQ

Both of these have 500lb+ total capacity so subtract your weight+fuel and you can carry that.
    AH! so thats what Rich refered to as LSA... thanks
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think in general they could serve a useful purpose in accessing hunting and fishing oppertunity. It also depends on the definition of ultralight. The new lsa designation has produced some very noble craft such as the carbon cub and the cessna 160. In my mind a true ultralight is something along the lines of a rotax powered wing or a kolb... That being said, as others have mentioned, alaska has some very extreme and variable weather. While gusting 30 mile per hour wind might not be a big problem for a champ, it could be a disaster in a small ultralight. I have seen a couple crashed ultralights and some of them are very poorly made. I wouldnt trust my life to any of the "flimsy" models if i was to go that route. I would go with, at a minimum, one that is well built, faa certified to lsa standards, and has a good track record. Also, know the limitations of the craft and dont push them!

Just my two coppers.

If I cant shoot Wolves from , what good is it?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

OMG how easy would that be..lol

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

My buddy bought a Piper J5 cub for 18k. Great plane for a good price. Another frined has a 140 that I think he got for under 20k as well. For the money just buy a plane. You'll have to put a litle more money into the training and everything, but it would be much more worth it in the end. .02

after 44 years of flying I have learned that I don't want to be dead because it seems to be boring and last a long time. LSA is the min aircraft in my option. Ulta lights are a crap shoot for quaility. m2c
    Oh ya, stranger, how could you shoot one of those cuddly little creatures? I think they only eat beavers, or thats what I read once when they were going to put them in the adirondacks.