Thread: tents and wood stoves, wich setup

Default tents and wood stoves, wich setup

I want a nice sized tent with a stove. Tent size, should be a 4 person comfortable with stove. Id like to keep weight and packed size to a minimum.

Right now Im looking at the arctic Oven 10 but good lord the price is scary.

Next Im thinking of a wall style tent made of the arctic oven material. I like this one cause of weight, size but Ive never messed with a wall tent. I was looking at the 3 pole setup option and that is the one I would probably use the most. But it looks complicated to setup.

Then the cabelas Alakanak. Very heavy and probably too big at 12x12 but price is good.

Stove options, I dont really know yet. Maybe one of those sheetmetal jobs from AO, but the hunter arctic military stove looks good too.

Tent will mainly be used in the fall for moose hunting, and maybe 3 day weekend predator hunts in the winter. And then Family camping trips in the summer.

Anymore suggestions? What do you think of my choices?

Arctic oven 10 is too small for four guys unless you use bunkbeds. How about a Tee Pee? Kifaru and some other places make some big Tee Pees that are designed for stoves. You won't need a big stove.

I owned and the alaknak with a cylinder stove and took it on the Rex trail for the winter cow hunt. Needless to say I came back dried it out and sold it that spring. I will be moving to the Arctika with one of the direct vented oil or propane stoves.

Yeah I am eyeing that nu-way stove pretty good as it would work well in both my SL-8 and Arctic Oven when wheelering and snow-going. When backpacking with a stove tent setup I'lll still take the SL-8 with the 5 pound wood stove. Just like how handy propane is and if you can vent the exhaust outside to avoid moisture build up its pretty slick. That and with a nu-way stove I can keep a pot of coffee warm by putting it on the stove. As a side note we use bunkbed cots from Cabelas and they are WAY sweet. Easily sleep 4 guys in an AO with that two bunkbed cots and then have a bench (top bunk of each cot setup) for 2 guys on each side of the tent with a table for cooking in the across teh back of the tent.

The AO10 will NOT hold 4 guys and a stove. Barely holds three guys (with one sleeping under the ends of the cots).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Alaskan22,

I was referring if you used bunkbed cots you could easily get 4 in the AO 10. Certainly couldn't even fit 3 comfortably in the A0 10 IMO and still have room for gear and a stove.
    Here is a link to the cots I mentioned in my post above:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Disc-...y%3D0&Ntt=cots

Those cots look pretty sweet! I am not too sure how well they would work if set up on snow though! They may be just the ticket as my boys get older though, even in the big SL8 I could see the cot being pretty handy.

Just like using other cots on the snow honestly. We have used cots on the snow before. We usually haul a couple small sheets of plywood in the bottom of our sleds behind the sno-gos and that seems to work out all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Just like using other cots on the snow honestly. We have used cots on the snow before. We usually haul a couple small sheets of plywood in the bottom of our sleds behind the sno-gos and that seems to work out all right.
    Good idea on the plywood, I was thinking some sort of base would be needed. Unlike most cots these ones come with a bit more altitude and my sleeping bag isn't too conducive with trying to break a fall!

You must have good transportation to haul in those heavy tents.....for 4 of us we use a 12 man Kifaru Tipi with titanium stove....perfect and right at twenty pounds for both. Makes a very comfortable moose camp.

I have a slightly used Kifaru 4 man tipi that I intend to sell this winter

My old 10x10 Alaknak has been a good tent but not large enough for 4 men.....that will also go this winter.

The AO is a LOT heavier than some other setups. But if I am wheelering or on sno-gos weight isn't nearly the problem that it would be for backpacking. A 40+ pound tent, 10 pound stove, and another 20 pounds for a full 5 gal propane tank and you are looking at 70 pounds all setup. However, the AO is much warmer than a simply sil-nylon tent in the winter, which is pretty much the only time I use an AO. My GoLite setup with the Kifaru large stove without any bugging netting and just straight backpacking under 11 pounds for 180 sq feet of heated space. The other problem with just a wood stove is much of the area I winter camp in is above tree line which means you would have to haul wood, if it is around, which kinda negates the weight savings. Luckily I am setup to mix and match all my stoves with my tents for what best fits the trip and there is certainly no one way to go about things. Just another way of doing it.

That Kifaru is a nice setup for sure and I bet it rocks in moose camp, but for winter camping above tree line give me an AO. Know whatta I mean Vern??? (Sorry I have to )

What I did because I can't afford an AO either was get a military surplus M1950 (I think) arctic tent. It is 5 sided and is supposed to sleep 5 guys but of course thats military style, three is just about right. I built a propane vented heater for it.
    It uses a center pole and has the liner for heat retention.
    I got mine on Ebay for $150 delivered, but I believe GI Joes gets them in occasionally.

has anyone messed around with the military stoves like the m1950?

I went ahead and got the new military stove. Its Heavy at 50 lbs, but will burn just about anything, safer to use and is more fuel efficient than the old yukon m1950 and supposed to be trouble free. Its still small though. 17x17x9. Im now leaning on the idea of getting a little lighter tent and putting in a stove jack. Everything with a stove jack is expensive and/or heavy

alright in the end I got...

this stove: http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Campi...ue-Hunter-SHA/

And this tent (the spike III): http://montanacanvas.com/spike-tents.php

another option, spendy, but light
    http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    another option, spendy, but light
    http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/
    A friend of mine just picked up one of these and a four dog stove. Spendy setup but lighter. They dog mush all winter and opted for this over an AO due to other people in the mushing world they have talked to raving about it.