Thread: Any .30 sabot recipies?

Default Any .30 sabot recipies?

I'm thinking of picking up some sabots that will fire a .224 cal projectile out of my .30cal rifle. I was wondering if anyone has experimented with these and had some load data or experience with different .224 projectiles. I'm wondering how fast I can push these?

Mountaintrekker

what 30 cal cartridge are you wanting info on??? 30 carbine, 7.72x39, 308 win, 30-06, 300 win or some thing else

Try the Accurate Arms Powder website. I don't know if .30+sabot data is posted there, but they list data in their book.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

My experience loading sabots was limited to the 30-30. The sabot diameter of my loaded rounds was so large of diameter that most of the rounds would only feed into the chamber if I forced them, and they would not group well on target either, so I gave up on the project. I got my sabots on Ebay several years ago, but if you can find better sabots then go for it. Here's one source of both sabots and data: http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html

Marshall/Ak
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default 30-06 data only, see attached

Master Spread G Guns.pdf

I did quite a bit of messing around with the 30-06 and sabots… the attached represents the best results that I have been able to obtain so far. Note that the cases were Winchester and that the results shown here were for a 30 degree F day. I tried several other powders however the results were so poor that they are not included here, and I didn’t even record them…

A couple of pointers for you…

DO NOT crimp the case! It will spread the sabot petals and will not work correctly.
    Best accuracy was obtain using brass that was neck sized only.
    A clean barrel is a must.
    Light charges did not completely seal the chamber. Sooting evident on cases
    Accuracy above 4060 fps dropped off noticeably. Best groups obtained at 4060 were 1.15” for 5 shots. This is about par for this particular rifle with 180 gr bullets as well.

Use this data at your own risk.

Good luck
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

one more thing.... only flat base bullets should be used. boat tail bullets + sabots = the worst accuracy you can imagine....
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey thanks guys. I'm looking at 30.06, but I may just load some smaller grain .30's and not shell out the cash for sabots and a new powder etc. Hmmmm...

Mountaintrekker

I don’t remember the sabots being cost prohibitive or anything like that… but I will tell you what the real issue is.

When you take your 30-06 and substitute a 55 grain bullet for your 180 grain bullet and then send that 55 grain bullet flying out of the barrel at nearly 4,100 fps, or approximately 1,400 fps faster than you could have ever launched a 180 grain bullet; you simply cannot expect the point of impact for those two projectiles to be even remotely close to one another. And in my experience, they most certainly are not. This simple fact of physics creates a couple of interesting problems for us. First off, if you thought that you could wander around hunting moose or caribou with your rifle loaded with normal 165 – 200 grain 30 caliber bullets while carrying a pocket full of “accelerator” rounds loaded with 55 grain bullets, just in case you see a wolf or some other varmint that you want to whack a couple hundred yards out; that you could quick like, swap out rounds and send one flying down range… well then, you would be mistaken.

In my opinion, the only way that sabot loads make any sense at all is if you are going to do one of two things. 1 dedicate that rifle as your varmint rifle. 2 have a dedicated, quick change sighting system for both sabot loads and normal loads. The later is the way I have decided to go. I have two scopes for this particular 30-06, and one is adjusted for the sabot loads and the other for my 180 grain loads. With my loads, the point of impact difference at 100 yards between the 180 grain bullets and the 55 grain bullets is in excess of 20 inches. While this is still within the mechanical adjustment range of the scopes I use, it is such a huge difference that readjusting one scope to accommodate both rounds would be, and is, totally impractical.

You might then wonder why anyone would bother with all the hassle in the first place…. And while I can only speak for myself, I have noted some advantages the 30-06 sabot load has over similarly performing rounds like the 22-250 and 220 Swift.

1 barrel fouling (with jacket material) is nearly non-existent due to the use of the sabots.
    2 the report, or noise created is of noticeably less volume and lower pitch with the sabots.
    3 peak pressures are lower
    4 perceived recoil is noticeably less
    5 barrel wear is likely reduced
    6 barrel cleaning time is greatly reduced
    7 frictional heating of the barrel is greatly reduced.

The disadvantages of using the sabot loads is as follows (in my opinion)

1 inconsistencies in the sabots degrades the ultimate accuracy potential.
    2 slightly increased component costs (buying the sabots)
    3 the nominal 30-06 chamber exhibits far too much lead for optimum sabot use.
    4 sabots can pose certain safety problems is use with a muzzle break
    6 huge point of impact change necessitates a dedicated rifle, or scope.
    Ever since I started messing around with these crazy little sabots, one thing quickly became apparent… to get the most accuracy potential at the highest practical velocity would require a dedicated barrel with a chamber that has been cut with a very short lead, specifically for the use of the sabots. This of course would present a huge safety problem if anyone ever attempted firing any non-sabot load thru that chamber…

So, I have been tempted to buy a high end barrel, custom reamer, and have Andy build up a dedicated 30-06 sabot varmint gun just to see what sort of accuracy and performance could eventually be wrung out of such a contraption… but that fact that nobody else is using, much less raving about the awesome performance of this kind of set up, leads me to believe that it has likely already been tried before, and that the results were ultimately less that optimal… Still, I might just give it a go one of these days and see for myself… after all, I do love to learn things the hard way….