Thread: wood river

Default wood river

akguy454 is going on a float hunt on the wood next year... trying to convince him, bein the non-fisher that he is, that he should bring a pole along cause im sure there are some fishable waters flowing into the wood... am i right or just crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    akguy454 is going on a float hunt on the wood next year... trying to convince him, bein the non-fisher that he is, that he should bring a pole along cause im sure there are some fishable waters flowing into the wood... am i right or just crazy?
    You're crazy. No fish there. Nothing to see. Move along.

Red face save the space

Waters flowing into the wood river Alaskan Range nothing worth fishing. Just saying.

There are burbot, albeit small ones at the mouth. Upstream it is slim pickings but you could likely catch an old chum that time of year or small dollies. Take a trot line and set it while hunting in the sloughs. Good way to save on space and get fish to.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    There are burbot, albeit small ones at the mouth. Upstream it is slim pickings but you could likely catch an old chum that time of year or small dollies. Take a trot line and set it while hunting in the sloughs. Good way to save on space and get fish to.

ya thats what i was telling hm

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    ya thats what i was telling hm
    Tyler It may be best on occasion to sit and listen to Robbie also.... he has been out there enough and been out to my place,,, there may well be fish to be caught but the hassle is at times not worth the effort... the weight or the space. the grayling we get in camp would take over a dozen to feed one guy a snack... sure it's fun but once you get far enough in it gets real skinny.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Tyler It may be best on occasion to sit and listen to Robbie also.... he has been out there enough and been out to my place,,, there may well be fish to be caught but the hassle is at times not worth the effort... the weight or the space. the grayling we get in camp would take over a dozen to feed one guy a snack... sure it's fun but once you get far enough in it gets real skinny.
    In the lower reaches, you can catch 1 to 3 lb burbot. Not great, but worth it, if you use a trot line and put in very little effort. The dollies I have seen there are fingerlings, I never fished the grayling but I have to think you are correct about their size.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

vince i work for robbie... i listen to him alllll the time... for hunting advice, i would of coarse go to him... for fishing he comes to me... not to mention i cant picture any trip in to the woods without a fishing pole of some sort

well thanks all but I will leave the rod at home and take a 22 pistol for camp meat instead

ps I told ya so......tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Dollies? Never heard of them in the interior rivers - Might find some grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    Dollies? Never heard of them in the interior rivers - Might find some grayling.
    Some call them Goldenfin. I have found them in every region I have been.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Never spotted a goldenfin/dollie/char, or salmon though I suspect a couple may wander up it, all the years I hunted the Wood river. There are some burbot, there are some pike. I would not take up any space with fishing gear in that drainagefor the pusuit of either or any. Hare and grouse would be a far better pursuit for camp meat, so bring a .22 cal/ or air powered pistol/rifle instead.