Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: extra gas

Default extra gas

I was wondering if anyone carries extra gas with them when they go out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Extra gas

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I was wondering if anyone carries extra gas with them when they go out.
    Yup, sure do. I figure how much I'll burn for the trip and add 10 or 15 % for wind, current and stupidity. I've also turned around and headed back when the burn rate told me it was time.

Always. Don't care if I'm just out on a lake doing a little fishing, I always throw at least a six gallon jug in the boat. Never know what you may need it for.

Just like in the plane I plan on returning with 1/3 of a tank. If thing get tough it is better to error on the right side. A poorly planned trip can turn miserable and even end in death.
    Lighter, matches, and the Fire Piston lighter and matches have failed but the Fire Piston has always come through.

I have had a few close calls and been put to the test summer and winter, put stitches in, walked out, even used moose hide to make makeshift flotation learned never to let some one else tie up the boat things need to be done right the first time.

Extra gas no brainer. Wear your PFD every time.

Cheers

I always carry extra fuel.

Default yep, 27.5 gallons extra

I have two nineteen gallon tanks that hold about 18 each. then on the bow i throw 5 5gallon can filled to 5.5 each. always on there and rotate it through during the summer to keep it fresh. once to the fishing hole i throw it in the back to get it out of the way. In PWS you never know how far you will end up going. So i have a little over 60 gallons on the boat and have never used it all. Biggest trip was 205 miles and had 10 gallons left over. I love my boat for the gas mileage. Oh have extra gas for your heater too or other stoves. My boat builder used to stash gas all over the place in early april on islands in PWS. then he has it during the summer. he of course puts it where a lot of people don't think to find it. only problem is by fall or end of summer a couple cans sometimes are chewed up by bears, but not often. i always thought that was a good idea. Helped him stash it one april and he does have some good spots. Just food for thought.

Our boat tanks hold 120 gallons combined. Biggest run so far has been to Montague and back out of Seward and only one tank was consumed. So far I have never carried any extra fuel but if I thought we were close to using it all bet your butt we would carry extra!
    Tennessee

Red face

I often take 12-15 gallons extra for PWS trips even though I have at least 1/3 remaining upon return. Having that little extra fuel for unplanned side trips or if the weather kicks up, fuel mileage suffers greatly at off-plane speeds. Running on fumes makes back to port does not compute for me.

Default extra fuel

The old hewescraft held 160 gallons. This gave it incredible range. I still always carried an extra 15 strapped to the rear bulkhead. For extended trips, I have carried as much as 105 gallons on deck. The new boat will have a 405 gallon capacity. This should free up some deck space.

My hewes has 160 gal tank. I was wondering would I be crazy to carry an extra 30 gal IE when I run to Montegue.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default gray

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    My hewes has 160 gal tank. I was wondering would I be crazy to carry an extra 30 gal IE when I run to Montegue.
    Call it a security blanket. You can always siphon it in when you get there and store the jugs up top or in the bow. If you are leaving from Whittier, the South end of Montegue is close to 100 miles. Better to have extra than come up short.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Depends on where I'm going as to how much extra I will carry. If going to my favorite fishing spot for Kings right here near Bethel, I'll carry an extra 15 gallons. My Wooldridge has 2 built in 15 gallon saddle tanks. Takes 9 gallons to do the round trip of 60 miles. If going up above Aniak for a week of fishing Kings on the George River I'll take an extra 150 gallons. When going upriver above Stoney River moose hunting I leave Bethel with 220 gallons , top off the empty 30 gallon tank in Aniak, top off another empty 30 gallon tank in Sleetmute and then continue on upriver to hunt. After 5 days of traveling to different places on the river it will be time to either head back to Sleetmute to fill up all the empty tanks or up to McGrath to do the same thing. Depends on which place is closer at the time. When heading back to Bethel we'll leave from where ever we are with a minnimum of 100 gallons and hope it last til we get back to Bethel. Usually does.

Any of you guys ever try the Fuel Bladders? After using the fuel from them you can roll them up and store them out of harms way. The few I have seen are pricey but they may be worth it on really long run.
    Tennessee

Default More gas

Alaska Gray......We have the same boat and gas tank. When I go to Montague I will bring an extra 30 gallons and dump it in when I get there. By the time I get back I have burned about 90 gallons. So I probably have close to 100 gallons in the tank when I return from Montague. I LIKE HAVING A HUNDRED GALLONS IN THE TANK. If I am running out 30 or 40 miles one way I just top off the tank as it is all I will need. That is with 5 adults, a boat load of nice halibut, sleeping bags and enough food and water for a small army. If it was more then a day trip I would bring more fuel. If that weather kicks up or problems come up I don't ever want to worry about running out of fuel. I know a couple of boaters who ran out of fuel and they lived through it and felt pretty helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Alaska Gray......We have the same boat and gas tank. When I go to Montague I will bring an extra 30 gallons and dump it in when I get there. By the time I get back I have burned about 90 gallons. So I probably have close to 100 gallons in the tank when I return from Montague. I LIKE HAVING A HUNDRED GALLONS IN THE TANK. If I am running out 30 or 40 miles one way I just top off the tank as it is all I will need. That is with 5 adults, a boat load of nice halibut, sleeping bags and enough food and water for a small army. If it was more then a day trip I would bring more fuel. If that weather kicks up or problems come up I don't ever want to worry about running out of fuel. I know a couple of boaters who ran out of fuel and they lived through it and felt pretty helpless.
    Do you go to Montegue through Seward or Whitter? I thin after this thread when I head out to there I will bring about 30 gallons.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Man, an extra 70 gallons on the trip and still take extra... Kinda feel like my planning is off! I have been going by the 1/3 rule. Use no more than a 1/3 on the way out. That leaves a 1/3 for the trip back and a 1/3 for emergency, weather, wind, etc. The OP only comes with an 85 gallon tank so I was going to take an extra 35-45 gallons with me that would give me a total of 120-130 gallon. So if the runs me about 80 - 90 gallons total I'll still have 40 gallons left when I get back.

Saw one of those big fuel cans down at Mining and Diving. Looks like about a 35 - 40 gallon clear gas can. Anyone have any experiance with these?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I saw at Sportsman a 14 gal with a nozzle for $140
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default tanks

Anchorage Suzuki/Arctic Cat has clear 15 gallon and 30 gallon tanks for $55 &$90. I believe they are rigged to hook right up to an outboard. Cabela's has gas tanks too, and I believe they're cheaper than the one at Sportsman's-seen that one too! Nice to have a pump though.

Tim

Only bad thing about those 15 and 30 gallon containers is moving them around. Man are they heavy once they are filled.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Only bad thing about those 15 and 30 gallon containers is moving them around. Man are they heavy once they are filled.
    I second that. We use a couple 15's and then a bunch of 6ers in our boat. Have 2 30 gallon ones, but have never used them do to the weight when full. The 15's are bad enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast