Thread: cabin nautical map storage?

Default cabin nautical map storage?

hi again,,,,i was wondering what you boaters with cabins use for a permanent map storage?...i have seen the ones that tack to the roof, and you roll up the map and slide them in, or have plexi glass on the main table and slide in the map "of the day" underneath!....or, do you just rely on rollin out the folded map on the table, have a look-see and fold it up and back in the drawer?....i would like to keep my paper(plastised) maps rolled, i seem to get them to last longer that way!...thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I have the map of the day under glass on the table, plus several others rolled up in the overhead chart rack. People like to sit around the table and look at where we are going.

I have the full size charts at home, but don't bring them on the boat. Free, printable charts are available on-line. I downloaded a three ring binders worth from here

They are free and store well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

hi myers, would you have a quick pic you could post?....thanks larry

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have the full size charts at home, but don't bring them on the boat. Free, printable charts are available on-line. I downloaded a three ring binders worth from here

They are free and store well.

thanks spoiled one!!....it says they are reduced scale,, can you use them as regular Nat maps?.....i would be interested in the Dixon Entrance map!..unfortunalty, canada doesnt have free maps like that--but if anyone knows can you please let me know??....thanks for the link! larry

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi myers, would you have a quick pic you could post?....thanks larry
    sorry , that would be of the map storage rack! thanks larry

On my dads seine boat we used to have a chart table. It was a 3x3 varnished piece of plywood that was hinged on one end and it hung from the ceiling of the wheel house. It was held by brass chains. It contained all the charts and plotting tools. Dad would be able to chart a course and not have to leave the wheel and folded it back up out of the way

thanks fullbrush, interesting idea!! hmmmm........larry

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    thanks spoiled one!!....it says they are reduced scale,, can you use them as regular Nat maps?.....i would be interested in the Dixon Entrance map!..unfortunalty, canada doesnt have free maps like that--but if anyone knows can you please let me know??....thanks for the link! larry

I looked at the Dixon Entrance charts and they are not as zoomed in as the ones from PWS that I have. Personally, I do not use them for navigation. I just look at them in the evenings to scope out new areas to fish and explore.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I took a couple of charts I use the most and had them laminated at Kinkos. It was inexpensive. You can then use a "grease pencil" and mark them with routes or whatever you want. It wipes right off. They basically cover my table. (They double as fine place mats)

I will have to take some pictures, it may be a awhile but I'll put it on my to do list. In the mean time, it's the chart rack/light fixture over the table that all Sea Sports have. I have 1/8 glass covering the table with some other charts on it. The charts are fairly water/beer resistant when someone spills and it seeps under the glass at the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    The charts are fairly water/beer resistant when someone spills and it seeps under the glass at the edge.
    beer resistant??....i didnt know that was allowed on a boat?? i may have to try that!!....dont sweat the pics, i will look at the seasports, sure i can find one somewhere!! thanks larry

...Of course I have never heard of anyone ever spilling beer when fishing that just sounds insane.

They must have left out the chart rack when they built my SeaSport..??

ya, i checked out a few online,,,,no racks either?...will keep looking!

Charterboat Operator

i have a set of rod holders that are full round opprox. 2" circle, 4 holes wide, that have been mounted to the roof. roll the charts up and place them in, when they expand the pretty much hold themselves. have been known to slide back on a few "choice" water days. cheap and very redily available. just dont put them where anyone will hit there head on em'.

I guess I better get a picture out asap.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    i have a set of rod holders that are full round opprox. 2" circle, 4 holes wide, that have been mounted to the roof. roll the charts up and place them in, when they expand the pretty much hold themselves. have been known to slide back on a few "choice" water days. cheap and very redily available. just dont put them where anyone will hit there head on em'.
    thanks PB any chance you have a pic handy?....larry

Charterboat Operator

dont have any pics handy and the boat is down south. looking thru west marine the closest thing i can find would be http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10801

purchase 2 sets, use only the round bases. mount to the roof, approx. 2 feet apart and in line with each other.
    roll chart up and slide into place, as chart unrolls a little it will expand and hold itself into place. Mine is only a 4 holer, but how many charts do you need? hope that gives you a visual of what i have anyway.
    PB