• Heck yeah do it so I can shoot it

16 72.73%
  • No you crazy, but will watch you shoot it

0 0%
  • just buy a 375, and be like everyone else

6 27.27%

Thread: 358 sta

Default 358 sta

I'm thinking of having one built, I don't know what is wrong with me I know its a boomer I have a 358 norma mag already and a 350 rm and 358 winchester. I guess I just need one. Anyhow what do you guys think who here has actually shot one, the ballistics impress but that isn't the main thing I really like the 35's. I would probably use a 700 action and either Shilen or douglas barrel or even McGowen barrel. Then stuff it into a mcmillan stock. What would I use it for who knows. I know some folks will say just get a 375 H&H but everyone has one of those along with a 338 and whatever else.

I can't comment about the 358 STA but I am fairly familiar with the 358 Norma. I own and shoot one. A fine round. Personally I do not see the need to hot rod the 358 caliber beyond the Norma mag ballistics. Considering the extra range the STA cartridge offers and what I would be using the 358 caliber to hunt, (the large bears) I can not see myself shooting at dangerous game beyond the range that the 358 Norma already affords.

The 358 line of bullets is somewhat under represented and shunned by the bullet manufactures. I recently asked Barnes to offer a 250 and a 275 grain TSX bullet in 358 caliber. They actually just laughed at the notion and told me to shoot their 225 grain and seek happiness in life.

It appears the premium 358 caliber bullet offerings, on the heavy end are the Swift A-Frame and 280 grains and the A-square Lion Loads at 275 grains. Woodleigh makes a good product also at 310 grains.

From what I've read of the STA cartridge it is a clear powder hog and it hurts from both ends of the rifle. Perhaps some benefit could be obtained from loading 280 swift bullets or the 310 grain Woodleigh into the STA case. If I were to build the rifle as you are suggesting, I'd attempt to match the twist with the heavy for caliber bullet.

The 375 is also an easier to get cartridges buy for.

I can't speak for you or anyone else but in MY old age I find that the essence of a true hunter is not at what great long distance/range he can hit an animal but actually how close that hunter can get to the animal he intends to kill. For me the 358 Norma affords all the range I'd ever have need for. Your opinion may vary and I certainly can respect different opinions.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

I concur, the .358 NORMA is the quintessential ALASKA -SIBERIA round, both up close and far away. I always wanted to build a necked up .300 weatherby or the shorter 7mm weatherby in .358-- but decided to spend the $ the reamers -dies ect. cost on raising a family. Again!! Its all shot placement.
    Just my thoughts from an old hunting person. Have killed some big Russian bear with an AK-47.
    Goo

I'll echo much of what has been said. I really like the .35 caliber cartridges. IME they are extremely effective cartridges for all manner of NA game. It seems that I am constantly considering a 358 Norma project gun, but it never quite gets out of my "that would be neat" stage. As for the STA, it's more than I need. IMO it really needs heavier bullets to stretch its legs. The 250 grain bullet is faster than the Norma (maybe 100-150 fps), but not enough to make it worthwhile IMO. That means moving to a still heavier slug and increasing the already fairly stiff recoil. To take advantage of the STA's increased range potential you need to consider shooting it from the prone position and a STA in a 9 pound gun is a long ways from being comfortable in the prone position. You can increase gun weight to make it more tolerable, but then it's a burden to carry around all day.

This is not to say that it is not a wonderful cartridge in a number of ways. The couple of rifles I've worked with were accurate and flexible with bullets from 158-280 grains. The failure to use pistol bullets is a frequent mistake in these .35s. They are inexpensive, devastating on varmints of all kinds and a lot of fun to boot. I'm not recommending them for "big game" animals, but it's the reason that I am still considering a 358 Norma.

Using a STA will certainly put you in the "that's different" crowd, but so would driving a monster truck around town. IMO it's simply more than is needed for all but the most specialized of hunts.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Life's too short to be like everyone else... build that gun already and post photos of dead critters.

H**L, half the big bores I have I don't really "NEED" but for some odd reason I keep picking them up because lots of folks don't have and/or shoot them for one reason or another. I say, start buildin' and post some pics when complete. Look into a Bansner stock, I have one on my 458 Lott and really love it.

I think I will do it and go with recommendations build it to shoot 280-310 slugs will it hurt probably. But life is short

Go for it! I would have to think a 358 that shoots bullets as heavy as the 375's would be very confidence inspiring. Ballistic tips for shooting long. Get a muzzle break if recoil is the only negitive you see. We really don't NEED any cartridges other than 375, 30-06, and 223 but we have hundreds. I reload for 21 cartridges and none are the three just mentioned. Your money your gun.

This is a real easy question. If you want it, go for it. I don't know how much more it will give over the 358 Norma ( mine shoots 250gr at 2880) but a 250 gr at 3000 or so should anchor sheep way out there. Have the chamber cut with a little extra freebore and you can take better advantage of that big case.

Get it built and let me know when I can meet you at the range!!

One of the gunshops in anchorage has one. It is built on a stainless 700 but it has a ugly hogue stock. But the main issue I have no idea what the barrel twist is. That would be the way to go not a bad price but would have to restock it for sure.

Had 1 built many years ago with a 29 inch bull barrel,iron sights,on a browning action. Former Marine scout sniper was impressed with the accuracy,due to handloads made for the gun. Never did shot any game with it. Gave to son for Eagle scout award. Other than that,is a very accurate gun,right medicine for what might ail a person when confronted with something mean and nasty.
    Will always recommend this gun to any 1 interested.

Over the years... I've often wanted to convert a .30-06 to a .35 Whelen - yet found the 8mm Mauser (full-house heavy4caliber loads) just right where it needed to be. Same could be said on .308 case lengths to 35cal something-or-other, just never a real world solution - yet without doubt to have something different and fun.

I realize the potential of .358 at magnum velocities. Big difference for .35 @ real magnum velocities for extended rages. The .358 Norma Magnum is a winning, proven example of this, and I wouldn't mind having one. Can also be said for .358STA.

For me, the .375 H&H is positively better all the way around from feeding it, to shooting it, to even considering use when caliber restrictions could be in place.

Tho' a poor seller, I also believe Remington had it right all along with the 8mm REM MAG. I'll go so far as to say in this case (pun intended) the 'Parent-case' is better at extended ranges and penetration on heavy game with longer, heavy4caliber 8mm bullets of good construction than the .358STA.

Need a gun no one will have in camp - a real head turner...
    Today, I'd go the big belt-less REM Ultra-Mag Case and get 'er done to .35 ---- now that girl will play a tune with fire in 'er eye!
    KICK like the DEVIL!!! Maybe make ya cry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post

The 375 is also an easier to get cartridges buy for.

I can't speak for you or anyone else but in MY old age I find that the essence of a true hunter is not at what great long distance/range he can hit an animal but actually how close that hunter can get to the animal he intends to kill. For me the 358 Norma affords all the range I'd ever have need for. Your opinion may vary and I certainly can respect different opinions.

Well Said ! Bingo! and Ditto!

Stalking and stealth and tracking and actual hunting skills have diminished now that people are mounting huge star-gazing telescopes on their plastic stocked shiny-barrelled shoulder kickers. " Outta sight / Outta range".