Thread: Skull antler mount for moose, what all is involved?

Default Skull antler mount for moose, what all is involved?

My pop shot his first moose this year and I want to do a Skull mount for him for christmas. I figured the cutting the skull and boiling it down would be simple enough, its just the actuall mounting that will be challenging. I tried calling several taxidermists and they are pricey and the turn around is 6 months at minimum. I'm sure I can tackle this kind of task.

So, my question is, where can I find a kit, local or online. I am in Fairbanks. My uncle is a Taxidermist in SC, so I can trouble shoot with him on some things but he is exclusively White-Tail and Bass. IS there a good online article that I can consult with as well?

Thanks, Zac

In my quest to find different ways to mount the skull I came up with this.....check the link.

www.skullhooker.com/bighooker.html

You can also find it at Cabelas.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    In my quest to find different ways to mount the skull I came up with this.....check the link.

www.skullhooker.com/bighooker.html

You can also find it at Cabelas.
    i just seen that in todays new catalog... looks cool
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That looks cool. I was kinda looking more at a Crown mount I guess.

I did one a few years back for my first moose. I had a buddy with a router make me up a nice board about 12 high and 16 wide. I stained that. Then after leaving the rack hanging in a tree over the winter (in the shade so it didn't fade, or you can boil or use beetles) I took it in the shop, trimmed up the bone to the crown, sprayed a bunch of that crack sealing foam into the brain case and let it extend out past it. Let it dry, then used a knife and later sandpaper to finish it to a nice round shape (not unlike the old plaster method). Then I mounted it to the board with two 1/4-20 screws in the low parts on each side of it's forehead, (with bolts counter sunk into back of board) Then cut a piece of camo fleece I had around (could use velvet, leather etc) and glued the seams out of sight and tight to the back edge of the mount. Then used black poly rope around the base of the antlers and then around the whole skull cap to cover up any indiscretions. Was cheap, and looks pretty decent too.

Plenty of variation on what you can do, but that is how I did it. A taxidermist may do a bit cleaner job but the effect is the same.

If you can get it to me in Palmer I can have it done by X-mas.. finishing 3 right now.. All panels are custom orderd.. Solid Oak or Walnut, Laser engraved with what you want.. Deer suede leather as a cover and hand braided suede for the trim.. Heavy duty bracket to hang on the wall.. Pm me if you can get it down here.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by zacsquatch View Post
    That looks cool. I was kinda looking more at a Crown mount I guess.
    zac... if your looking for NICE wood... swing over to Superior hard woods on the old steece... coming from town or NOPO... North on Steece Exwy. >>>>(right)Chena hot spring road exit>>> turn (left) under the over pass... >>>>>>turn left at the stop sign for old steece at Curry's corner..>>>>. turn left 1 blk superior hard woods...

they have a really neat selection of different woods and such.. are are super to deal with... they will cut for you at a cost...they are the ONLY place in town i go for cabinet work or other finish grade material for show ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here