Thread: Transporting/Outfitting/Guiding....the pros and cons

Default Transporting/Outfitting/Guiding....the pros and cons

A good friend of mine is considering getting a trasporters license, however in speaking to insurance companies regarding liability matters it seems as somewhat of a daunting idea. While we strive to see the good in people, the reality is that there are alot of pretty shady folks out there and you could lose everything you own with one simple incident.

For anyone that has, or had, a transporter license - or even been licensed as an outfitter or guide, what has your experience been with folks? Good, bad, otherwise? In speaking with others in the business, have most folks been lucky enough to avoid this kind of trouble?

We know a few guys who used to be fishing guides years ago; it was a short career, not due to lack of business, just lifestyle changes. They never ran into any trouble with their clients short of having to deal with the drama queens. :-P

What method of transport? It's a world of difference between boats and aircraft.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

What type of aircraft? The cub guys don't seem to have a full spring/summer/fall schedule. A cub will run about 90+-K. The beaver operators all seem to be doing darn good with both resident and non-resident hunters, fisher-people, and eco-tourism drop-offs. A beaver will cost a half million bucks....choke, choke. But regardless of the aircraft, seems many have to migrate around the state to follow the herd, at least while starting up. Might make for long months away from the family.
    ...or boat, out of where?...or horses?

So if you get serious, you will be starting up for the love of the business......
    I should have stayed in school and paid more attention to them teachers and those square things with all the paper pages inside............

This would be transport by boat only, and on local rivers not in the gulf or anything like that. So any transporting would be done strictly during that time of the year that you could safely run the rivers in a boat.... The transporters license requirements state that you need a minimum of $100,000 general liability insurance but many insurance companies won't touch this kind of policy and others that do strongly recommend a $1,000,000 policy as when people sue these days, they don't sue for just "hundreds of thousands of dollars", their aim is much higher.

TMS,
    Pls see thread New Hunting/Outfitter Rental business...everything in every post contribution, positive-neutral-negitive, applies to you also.
    Note #2, following my post above....Do it for the love of the busines....do it for the love of the business....do it.....get the million dollar plus policy....

thats all I got. nothing.
    Lunch is over, back to work 4 me.

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    While we strive to see the good in people, the reality is that there are alot of pretty shady folks out there and you could lose everything you own with one simple incident.
    Actually your limited liability corporation will loose everything it owns. You as an individual will loose nothing. Never start a high risk business unless it is done as an LLC.

And if you have insurance you won't loose much if you go for the high limit policy.

my input on this would be based on my observations as a guide working for outfitters...so less on the business end of things, and more from just observations and discussions with the outfitters i've worked for...

the main thing i'll contribute is that the expectations are VERY high in this industry these days. marketing for guarenteed hunts has skyrocketed in the lower forty eight, and worldwide (especially africa) and this among other things seems to have started a trend for very high expecatations...both in the guiding and transporting. in my opinion a good hunting transporter should have an interest in their clients success...unlike air taxis which dont have any obligations to the outcome of the transport, as a hunting or fishing transporter, you will be directly linked to your clients sucess. doesnt seem right, but it's the way it is. so be prepared to do your scouting, and have a vested interest in where you drop your clients, how much existing pressure might allready be in effect from other commercial operations, and most importantly (in my opinion) if the country you plan on operating in can handle the added pressure.

most importantly, practice good ethics concerning management of the resource and practice sound customer service techniques dedicated to your clients success and safety...

also...i dont know of many (any) outfitters or transporters who ever got rich by doing it right...but theres several that have made lots of money doing it wrong...with huge impacts on our states game resources...something to think about. i know you guys are proly tired of hearing guides say we dont do it for the money...but its true man...theres tons better (easier) ways to make a living. its a lifestyle choice...i'd say if the adventure of operating your boat and seeing the country via being out there is more important to you than getting rich, have fun and go for it...but it's easy to get burned out (quickly it seems) if your not into the lifestyle. it's not the most secure endeavor, financially or otherwise. but hey man, if its a dream... by all means follow with no inhibitions. theres nothing in the world i'd rather be doing than my job as a hunting guide in this state...outfitting being the obvious next step.

Great post ninefoot. I'd rep you for that one if I could (but I've got to "spread it around").
    Pursue happiness with diligence.