Thread: How common is boat icing in the Beaufort and Bering Sea in the july and august time.

Default How common is boat icing in the Beaufort and Bering Sea in the july and august time.

I will be on these waters this coming summer and keep seeing and hearing of ice conditions. How common are icing conditions on these waters? I will be in a small 17 foot modified boat with a 60hp motor. Modifications will be stabilty, flotation and bouancy systems. Just wondering if a heating system below the floor needs to be devised.

A 17' outboard boat in the summer? Don't worry about it. There's nothing you could do to "heat" the floor that would work anyway. Icing occurs at the late Fall season change when air temps drop below freezing but the arctic pack ice hasn't moved down yet. In the Spring, the air temps will be above freezing long before you have open water to boat on. And it won't be a summer time problem anyhow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by Bears unlimited View Post
    I will be on these waters this coming summer and keep seeing and hearing of ice conditions. How common are icing conditions on these waters? I will be in a small 17 foot modified boat with a 60hp motor. Modifications will be stabilty, flotation and bouancy systems. Just wondering if a heating system below the floor needs to be devised.
    I think the real questions should be what are you going to do with a boat that size out there?

Thank you. I have looked at weather for the past year up there and did not believe that it would or should be a problem. A couple guys asked me about it and they indicated that it would be a problem. I had never seen the problem in these months in the Canadian Arctic so I was a bit confused by this. Was Alaskan Arctic conditions this different? Thank you again.
    I have asked a few questions about my little voyage and have gotten some great answers that have lead me to planning changes and clarifications on what to expect and what i will see. I thank all of you that have helped.

Have a great deal of fun and adventure. Magellan and Columbus and many others were asked the same questions I am sure. I enjoy playing in a tougher than normal sandbox. Same reason that I tried to climb Foraker by a new route, talk about a riot in the cold, put up over 100 first ascents on rock in the Sierra's, solo climbed many new first winter ascents in the Sierra's and Cascades. Am the only person to kayak the western shore of James Bay and survive and kayaked 500 miles down your Yukon River after seperating my shoulder. Be ****ed if a little injury would stop me from being on the river. Wanted to do more but I do have safety limits. Pulled at the bridge. Thiis trip. I understand its seriousness but then again I also understand the challenge and fun. A great way to get to some really good fishing spots to.

I ran boats for 5 years on the Beaufort. Usually the ice doesn't break up until July 4-10th timeframe. When it does, it clears out pretty quick.

July 5th, a few years back...

It won't start to freeze up until late October.

This one is probably from August, I forget now...

Some Fall whaling boats from Nuiqsut...

The one thing missing in you list of preparations is fuel. Once past Kaktovic, there are no villages along the shore until you get to Barrow. There's oil company fields along the coast, but they are not in the business of fueling private boats. Nuiqsut is 30 something miles up the Colville River. You're not going to make it up there without local knowledge.

I'd be very wary about sleeping on the seemingly deserted barrier islands. They are polar bear highways...

Cool post Brian! What type of fishing is there in those waters?

Bears, you are planning ahead and that is the best thing you can do by eliminating or curtailing some of the variables, but there will always be unknowns.....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

No commercial fishing up there, yet. If it keeps warming up, then perhaps there may be someone who finds it too hard to resist. There are some salmon runs, char, sheefish (spelling) and of course bowhead. Between possible commercial fishing, and increased traffic due to the opening of the Northern Passage, the USCG is looking to expand their presence up there.

I worked for the oil companies.

Wow, that whaling boat is pretty plush. It even has a full size range in the galley!

I would say you will be fine. On the other hand, I worked on the SDC McCovey project up there. Plus the CIDS. Anyways on the SDC I remember it snowing like heck in July of 2002! We also watched a local guy in small boat like you are talking about getting trapped in the ice flow. He made it out eventually but we were waiting for him to be crushed. Don't forget to look in the shallows for shrimp!! Not much meat to them by the way they looked, but shrimp none the less! Once whaling season starts or gets close, all islands or offshore operations shut down for most of Oct. I believe, not 100% on the month. Good thing is I never seen it get to rough up there. Pretty shallow for the most part, hardly over 40' deep. No big tide movements either.