Thread: Opening day pics - dogs, open leads, new marten buckets

Default Opening day pics - dogs, open leads, new marten buckets

Not enough snow to go overland yet, but river conditions are fairly good for this time of year.

I did pick up some planter buckets at Lowe's, thanks to whomever gave me the tip on where to find them. But they are a bit smaller than the ones I had been using and kind of a pain to get a 120 to fit:

Will see how those work out, like to have the whole trap fit inside the rim so it doesn't launch off and spring downward and catch them on the shoulder area.

Love this time of year with the open leads around, makes for easy dipping a drink of water when thirsty.

The team at mouth of small side creek, where I have a set:

Heading downriver today, gonna get some river lines in this week then start hoofing it on foot on some overland lines if we don't get more snow. Doggies are glad to be out and about. Me too!

Very nice, Mark. What were you using beforehand for the marten sets?

I wish we were that good nothing is even close to being froze down this way. I'll still be getting things going this week so I can start working some sets soon. Have a good season
    Chuck

Nice pics as usual Mark. I look forward to additional picture posts of yours.

Default some 2nd day pics

Kyle, you asked what I was using before for marten sets. I still have some pole sets with #1s on them, but have tried to convert over to the marten bucket sets and 120 conibears. I was using larger 1 gallon planter buckets but over the years (I leave them out on the line) bears have gotten many of them or they got chewed on by foxes or whatnot. Those larger ones are just perfect for the 120s...these newer ones I just bought are a tad smaller.

Saw this wolf the other day, big lone black wolf...will see if I can catch him.

And I went through some suspended ice on one of the side creek mouths.

Funny thing about that was I well know all the side creeks are like this early in the season, can't really get on them safely til they fill with overflow, and I had taken my fur hat off right here before walking to a marten set to listen. You can hear the creek burbling under the ice and generally tell where it's hollow. Sounded off to my right and took one more step and crashed through, landed on my right knee (owee!) with my hands in the water <grin>. Was only a couple inches deep. But it was a good three feet down.

Sun came out on the way home.

Gotta cut wood today, then back out and set more line tomorrow. Chuck, hope it freezes up there soon, good luck with the beavers for now.
    Best to all,

Nice pictures & good lookin dogs!! Looks like things have changed out there quite a bit since you were out looking for moose. Good luck out on the trapline.

Really enjoyed your photos. Keep the pics coming and stay safe out there.

awsome pics mark...all of them. looking forward to more of what your line produces as the season progresses. man i miss long line trapping...ahhhhh...next year for me.

Great looking pics. Best of luck to ya on the trap line this year.

Amazing picture you have taken. I just love them. Keep up the work. Would like to see a picture of that lone wolf once you catch up to him.

Best of luck

Mthunter

Thanks for the comments, guys. That lone wolf ended up being a pup, poor thing was just real skinny and hungry. Been an interesting first week trapping, no marten yet but caught that wolf and came home with a wolverine yesterday...had some real miserable warm conditions for a couple days that caused the river ice to rot in places and all the open leads to pump out water, will have to get some more pics posted.
    Best to all,

Beautiful Pictures! I hope your weather conditions improve soon. I can't wait to see more.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

One guy I have seen pics of uses s block of wood screwed to the tree to hold the coni. The jaws grip the block. You can buy special made metal brackets as well. Screw or nail the block to the tree. Set the coni. Mount the bucket right above it. The trap is then separate from the bucket.
    There is a whole lot of information on www.trapperman.com for anyone wishing for new ideas.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

This link will take you to an archived marten thread on trapperman.
    http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...d_archive.html
    Lots of ideas there.
    Some guys are using the pots closer to the ground and putting the trap on a tip up. There was always marten that would not climb a pole when I was seriously trapping them.
    Good luck, Mark.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Beautiful Alaska and lifestyle. Great road system
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you