Thread: Party applications, wife etc - draw question

Default Party applications, wife etc - draw question

I was told "Ask about the wife applying for the tag and you filling the tag...AK has a loop hole along these lines and its legal and will double your odds in the draw. "

Is this true?

While I do have my wife apply to double our chances of one of us drawing a tag I do not believe you can proxy hunt draw tags. I know I know this means you actually gotta drag her along with ya in the field and have her fill the tag. So not it is not legal to fill another person's draw tag, but I believe you can proxy hunt general harvest and tier II tags if you and the person you are proxy hunting for meet the requirements.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I was told "Ask about the wife applying for the tag and you filling the tag...AK has a loop hole along these lines and its legal and will double your odds in the draw. "

Is this true?
    nope like Luke says... wife will have to do the filling... unless she meets the proxireiquimrnets... which are past a certain age... disabled to a certain point.. (permanently) or she is under the age of 17... and can fill your draw tag as your child under youth hunting ops
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

This worked really well for Trooper Wooten when he filled his then wife's cow moose tag when she didn't want to pull the trigger.

Lost his position as a Wildlife trooper, but didn't loose his job with the Troopers. And then there is the whole national media thing with his former sister-in-law and her meddling husband.

Go ahead and do it, just don't get caught since you don't know who will turn you in.

Thanks, I figured it seemed to good to be true, I am not going to break any laws etc so that rules this out.

I am pretty sure that as long as she pulls the trigger you can back up her shot, as with helping out any other hunting partner. Just think of the quality time in the field. It is a small price to pay for the extra chance at the draw. It works for children as well

You are allowed to proxy hunt drawing tags, but only for moose and caribou (and deer, though there are no deer drawings). Sheep, goat, etc. are out - or, at least that is my understanding.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You are allowed to proxy hunt drawing tags, but only for moose and caribou (and deer, though there are no deer drawings). Sheep, goat, etc. are out - or, at least that is my understanding.

here ya go all of it... but sounds like the OP was told he could double his chances if he put the wife in... and then left her home...

5 AAC 92.011. Taking of game by proxy

(a) A resident hunter (the proxy) holding a valid resident hunting license may take only moose, caribou, and deer for another resident (the beneficiary) who is blind, physically disabled, or 65 years of age or older, as authorized by AS 16.05.405 .
    (b) Both the beneficiary and the proxy must possess copies of a completed proxy authorization form issued by the department. The completed authorization must include
    (1) names, addresses, hunting license numbers, and signatures of the proxy and the beneficiary;
    (2) number of the required harvest ticket report or permit harvest report;
    (3) effective dates of the authorization; and
    (4) signature of the issuing agent.
    (c) A proxy authorization may not be used to take a species of game for a beneficiary for more than the length of the permit hunt season listed on the proxy authorization or for the maximum length of the species general season listed on the proxy authorization.
    (d) A person may not be a proxy for more than one beneficiary at a time.
    (e) Repealed 7/26/97.
    (f) A proxy who takes game for a beneficiary shall, as soon as practicable, but not later than 30 days after taking game, personally deliver all parts of the game removed from the field to the beneficiary, who must sign the proxy authorization form upon receipt of the game.
    (g) Except for reporting requirements required by (h) of this section, a proxy who hunts or kills game for a beneficiary is subject to all the conditions and requirements that would apply to the beneficiary if the beneficiary personally hunted or killed the game.
    (h) Reporting requirements for proxy and beneficiary are as follows:
    (1) if the proxy takes the bag limit for the beneficiary, the proxy shall provide the beneficiary with all the information necessary for the beneficiary to complete and return the harvest ticket report or permit harvest report, as required by regulation, to the department within the time periods specified for such reports; the beneficiary is responsible for the timely return of the harvest ticket and permit harvest reports;
    (2) if the proxy is unsuccessful or does not take the bag limit for the beneficiary, the proxy shall provide the beneficiary with any information necessary for the beneficiary to complete and return the harvest ticket report or permit harvest report, as required by regulation, to the department within the time periods specified for such reports; the beneficiary is responsible for the timely return of the harvest ticket and permit harvest reports;
    (3) the department may require the proxy to complete a proxy hunter report issued with the authorization form and mail it to the department within 15 days after the effective period of the authorization.
    (i) A person may not give or receive remuneration in order to obtain, grant, or influence the granting of a proxy authorization.
    History: Eff. 7/1/93, Register 126; am 7/9/95, Register 135; am 6/28/96, Register 138; am 8/19/96, Register 139; am 7/26/97, Register 143
    Authority: AS 16.05.255
    take note this ONLY applies to RESIDENT hunters also. NON res=no proxy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yep - thanks for that, Vince. I should have clarified that it is not allowed as asked, but figured others covered that ground. Since proxy hunting came up, I wanted to point out that it is indeed allowed for drawing permits, but only for certain species. As much as I might like to, I can't proxy hunt a Tok sheep for my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep - thanks for that, Vince. I should have clarified that it is not allowed as asked, but figured others covered that ground. Since proxy hunting came up, I wanted to point out that it is indeed allowed for drawing permits, but only for certain species. As much as I might like to, I can't proxy hunt a Tok sheep for my mother.
    heres part 2... remember that AAC,( Alaska Administrative Code) are in cunjunction with some sort of Alaska Statute... AS...
    AS 16.05.405. Taking Fish and Game By Proxy.

(a) Subject to regulations adopted by the Board of Fisheries or the Board of Game to implement this section, including regulations relating to or restricting seasons, areas, methods and means, and species, a resident may take fish or game harvested primarily for food on behalf of another person under this section.

(b) Notwithstanding AS 16.05.420 (c), a resident holding a valid resident hunting license may take game on behalf of a person who is blind, a person with physical disabilities, or a person who is 65 years of age or older if the resident possesses on the resident's person

(1) a document signed by the person on whose behalf the game is taken, stating that the resident possesses the person's hunting license or permanent identification card in order to take game on behalf of that person; and

(2) the person's

(A) resident hunting license issued under AS 16.05.403 or permanent identification card issued under AS 16.05.400 (b); and

(B) harvest ticket, tag, stamp, or other document required by law as a condition of taking the game being hunted.

(c) Notwithstanding AS 16.05.420 (c), a resident holding a valid noncommercial fishing license may take fish on behalf of a person who is blind, a person with physical disabilities, or a person who is 65 years of age or older if the resident possesses on the resident's person

(1) a document signed by the person on whose behalf the fish is taken, stating that the resident possesses the person's sport fishing license, subsistence fishing permit, personal use fishing permit, or permanent identification card in order to take fish on behalf of that person;

(2) the person's

(A) resident sport fishing license issued under AS 16.05.403 or permanent identification card issued under AS 16.05.400 (b);

(B) resident subsistence fishing permit issued under AS 16.05.403 ; or

(C) resident personal use fishing permit issued under AS 16.05.403 ; and

(3) all other documents issued to the person that are required by law as a condition of taking the fish being pursued.

(d) A resident who takes fish or game on behalf of another person under this section may, subject to applicable regulations of the Board of Fisheries or the Board of Game, take the fish or game only under those conditions that would apply to the other person if the other person took the fish or game personally.

(e) A resident who takes, or attempts to take, fish or game on behalf of a person under this section may also simultaneously engage in fishing or hunting for the resident's use; however, the resident may not take or attempt to take fish or game by proxy for more than one person at a time. For the purposes of this subsection, a resident is engaged in taking, or attempting to take, fish or game by proxy while the resident has possession of

(1) another person's

(A) license, permit, or identification card and all other documents issued to the person that are required by law as a condition of taking the fish or game being pursued; and

(B) signed document under (b)(1) or (c)(1) of this section; or

(2) fish or game taken on behalf of another person.

(f) A resident who takes fish or game on behalf on another person under this section shall

(1) complete reports relating to the taking of the fish or game as required by the commissioner of fish and game under AS 16.05.370 ;

(2) deliver all parts of fish and game removed from the field to the person on whose behalf the fish or game was taken within a reasonable time after the fish or game is taken; and

(3) until the fish or game is delivered to the person on whose behalf the fish or game was taken, retain the person's

(A) license or permit and all other documents issued to the person that are required by law as a condition of taking the fish or game; and

(B) signed document required under (b)(1) or (c)(1) of this section.

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    nope like Luke says... wife will have to do the filling... unless she meets the proxireiquimrnets... which are past a certain age... disabled to a certain point.. (permanently) or she is under the age of 17... and can fill your draw tag as your child under youth hunting ops
    Is That legal?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Is That legal?
    hmmm well with parental consent they can marry at 14 .... ( i have seen 2 weddings at that age) and then under permit hunts on the youth hunt opportunities a youth can fill a draw tag for the the adult hunter.... and as a minor married person their spouse is their guardian...

did you really want to go there?

meet on face book here

The youth regs don't specify anything about relationship to the permit hunter. It only states that the youth can fill the permit of an adult hunter as long as that hunter is physically present and overseeing the hunt in the field. For instance, Brian M can take his nephew out and he could fill one of Brian's tags. Same thing with a neighbor kid or one of your kids friends. So yes under those laws a juvenile wife could fill your tag. Or, if you are underage and want to double your chances then marry an older chick and put her in for the tags you want. Just remember you will have to take her along on the hunt which might not be such a bad thing, I hear cougars are great hunters!

Default Do a favor for a disabled vet

If you don't know a disabled vet, then go get to know one or a few and give'm a hand, as they have already done for you.

Now encourage that person to apply for all the same permits you're applying for (party app or not; yes, that's a choice), and if they win them, they can proxy them over to you. You fill theirs and yours both, giving theirs to them of course.

If its a muzzleloader permit they'll in addition to you need to have the muzzleloader certification even though they'd have no intention of going afield and using it - they'd need it just to apply for the permit.

Very legal, and quite the right thing to do.

hmmm well with parental consent they can marry at 14 .... ( i have seen 2 weddings at that age) and then under permit hunts on the youth hunt opportunities a youth can fill a draw tag for the the adult hunter.... and as a minor married person their spouse is their guardian...

did you really want to go there?
    No, thank you. Too creepy, and Halloween is over.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    If you don't know a disabled vet, then go get to know one or a few and give'm a hand, as they have already done for you.

Now encourage that person to apply for all the same permits you're applying for (party app or not; yes, that's a choice), and if they win them, they can proxy them over to you. You fill theirs and yours both, giving theirs to them of course.

If its a muzzleloader permit they'll in addition to you need to have the muzzleloader certification even though they'd have no intention of going afield and using it - they'd need it just to apply for the permit.

+1 What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

or you could do the right thing and TAKE them hunting and HELP them overcome.

meet on face book here

Default Old people are important too, yes.

or you could do the right thing and TAKE them hunting and HELP them overcome.
    OR?

Either option is wonderful. I was taught hunting, hanging, cutting, and smoking skills by an 85 year old man who had trouble getting along with his own kid so he spent more time with me than he. You should'a saw that guy shoot; wow. One time I swore his second shot was a herd shot (except I knew better; that wasn't what he'd taught me), then the herd scattered and there his game laying there, with two holes in'm. Sure enough, he'd hit the same one twice and no blood was spilled from the many other that were available.

Though two was an exception; it was usually one. An area where my current methods diverge from his is that I like to punch paper between animals shot. Not him. He could just about count the empty shells in the box as one per animal; imagine a box of shells lasting almost 2 decades and getting one every year; that was him.

And ironically his son who I also got along with taught me more about blood tracking than any human alive; its incredible what you can do if you follow a few simple methods - again, and again, and again, until you find it.

So yeah Vince, FOR him, WITH him, either way. As important as it is to get the kids involved in hunting, we need to also remember to help keep the old ones involved too. To whatever extent they're still able to DO, then after that us doing for them, as they did for us.