Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with New Marlin 1895 SBL

Default Problem with New Marlin 1895 SBL

I admit that I am new to the lever action world, but for the life of me I can't get the thing to take a round. Caliber is .45-70.

This is as far as they go in, then the rim catches. If I uncock the lever a bit they will go in the rest of the way, but then they slide backwards after the cover door closes.

I really hope this is me and not the gun. I do have a Marlin 336 and have no problem loading. Does anybody have any ideas before I contact Marlin to send it in?

I have tried 2 kinds of ammo, Leverevolution and Buffalo Bore FWIW. Here are some more pics for reference.

TYREX, I'd be on the phone with Marlin, could be something as simple as debris in the tube someplace but if moving the lever allows ctg to drop in then I am thinking a fit issue.....
    America is unique because we embrace Freedom.
    Freedom simply means you have choices, you can have things you want.
    Freedom does not guarantee safety - your choices do that!

It's not the tube stopping the round for loading. I have "cheated" 2 rounds into the tube by wiggling the action while loading. The rim gets wedged between the opening and the front of the lever mechanism.

Have you taken it apart at all yet?
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

If you can, find someone with an 1895 and try their lever on it. My guess it that the lever cam is screwed and holding the carrier up too much at the wrong time (from your description).

FWIW go onto marlinowners.com and see if any similar issues. Don't want to be the bearer of bad, but there have been a lot of quality issues reported on MO, specifically with SBLs and also the other newer Marlins, following the Remington buyout and factory closure/move.

Trade it in for a Browning Lever Rifle. This is like the seventh recent issue (with Marlin Lever Rifles) that I've seen on this forum since I've been a member. A select few "Marlin Purists" keep blabbering about how the rack and pinion on BLR's can supposedly jack up, but I've yet to see one messed up, and I sure have seen a lot of jacked up Marlins though.

matnaggewinu

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    Have you taken it apart at all yet?
    I have not. I've been reluctant to do any home gunsmithing as it is brand new and under warranty. Marlin must not test fire these at the factory since they would have noticed the problem right away. That in itself is a little disconcerting.

Since it's under warranty why don't you bring it by the shop. We are the Marlin service center for AK and will be more than happy to help. Depending on what it looks like when we strip it down real quick, we may even be able to fix it while you wait, no garantee but maybe.

WWG 7100 homer drive, Anchorage

I was thinking about bringing it to you guys, but I was unaware that you were the Marlin warranty service center. I wanted to get the upgraded extractor and follower anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I was thinking about bringing it to you guys, but I was unaware that you were the Marlin warranty service center. I wanted to get the upgraded extractor and follower anyway.
    And you think you'll leave WWG with only an extractor and follower (trigger happy, big lever etc), you won't be able to resist when they are all shiny in front of you!!!

Default doH!!

You putting them in backwards!! Just messing with you. That really sucks Ive been drooling of the SBL for a while. But this make me hesitate just a bit. Id say have WWG take a look.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Please let us know what you find out.

Loading Gate problem

Like others said WWG if you still have the problem!

Flex bullets good for deer and small bear............not for Alaska.
    Alaska

I recieved a Marlin SBL .45-70 after 6 months of waiting for the order to arrive... long story related to the sale of Marlin, a fire at the factory, relocation by the new owner company etc. Anyhow, what I found with mine was every screw on it was loose, especialy the screws which hold the rail to the reciever. After purchasing another (larger) gunsmithing screwdriver set and securing the fasteners, I took it to the range to put holes in paper. I fired Remington 405grn loads and Hornady Leverevolution through it without fail or hiccup. Accuracy was impressive to me with the ghost ring sight picture.

As to the problem with your rifle, it defintely sounds like a timing issue to me particularly if you can manipulate the lever to load the rounds through the gate. I have nothing good to say about WWG but, if they are the warranty center, then by all means have them look it over.

Bump to the top...just curious if this issue has been resolved and what the problem was?

I'm going to try to get into WWG in the morning to see if they can take a look at it. I will post what was found.

hi bushman; i have had very good results with hornady leverevolution ammunition....having taken 3 elk with 3 shots. two of them were complete penetration ( 248 yds & 217 yds ). the third bullet (200 yds ) drilled a rib on the near side, and made a 3" hole through a rib on the off side. the bullet was under the hide.

the caliber? .35 remington. hardly a magnum, yet sure seems effective to me...... also now they have developed a monolithic ftx bullet which may be even better (?). give em a try.

jh
    p.s. i have used wwg and their products including the ejector, lever, and trigger. couldn't be happier.
    happy trails.
    jh

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hi bushman; i have had very good results with hornady leverevolution ammunition....having taken 3 elk with 3 shots. two of them were complete penetration ( 248 yds & 217 yds ). the third bullet (200 yds ) drilled a rib on the near side, and made a 3" hole through a rib on the off side. the bullet was under the hide.

the caliber? .35 remington. hardly a magnum, yet sure seems effective to me...... also now they have developed a monolithic ftx bullet which may be even better (?). give em a try.

jh
    p.s. i have used wwg and their products including the ejector, lever, and trigger. couldn't be happier.
    WOW! Hats off to you. It sounds like you are very well aware that velocity isn't everything. Your choice to shoot that 35 Remington, the distance of the shots you took, and you're success, it's amazing.

matnaggewinu

I went to WWG today and Ken and The Kid hooked me up. The loading issue, I guess, was caused by some finish machining that wasn't done. The Kid beveled the part and also found that the feed ramp was not done either so he took care of that as well. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems to load and feed fine now and the action feels smoother as well. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast