Thread: S&w mp 45

Thumbs down S&w mp 45

I don't know what the rave was with this gun, but has anyone shot this gun? I bought one and brought it to the range twice. Must be me, I'm use to shooting Springfield and PARA. I've shot all three hand guns and the M&P performance wasn't what I thought.

What were you expecting? In terms of what was right/wrong in comparison?

Since you are used to Springfields have you tried the XD or XDM in .45? I personally really like the XD45 service almost as much as the glock 30. Never shot any S&W mp's however so I cant compare.

they do good in competitions. I usually shoot 1911 /2011 but i shoot my wife's M&P sometimes. I Qualified as Master with it and i can tell you that it is not as accurate as some of the other polymer guns but in my opinion it's "faster" for transitions and follow up shots. If shooting slow or from a bench it would seem crappy though. IMHO anyway

ak tech, that is exactly what I'm saying. The gun is not that accurate compared to my 1911. Anyone recommend Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckAlaska View Post
    . Anyone recommend Glock?
    Many recommend Glock. I've got a few that I really enjoy. Are you looking for minute of mosquito at 50 yards? What do you intend to do with the handgun?

Glocks are great guns. very reliable. But on your M&P remember that there is a difference between performance and accuracy. On the M&P what you get above other polymers is ergonomics, which translated for most people into faster shooting. So the M&P is not a bad gun its just not as accurate as others. It all depends on what you want. For combat or competitions its not so bad to sacrifice a little accuracy for faster transitions and reasonably accurate follow up shots. Unless you can fins a gun that has it all im still looking though.

Comparing a M&P to a 1911 is apples and Oranges, especially if you have had any custom stuff done on the 1911. As mentioned, the M&P should give you outstanding reliability, capacity and ergonomics for fast Minute of Dinner plate shooting. It, along with most modern polymers is a combat handgun and not a target shooter. They are designed for high reliability shooting on COM. Best suited in competition terms to plates, IPSC etc and not bullseye stuff. Personally I prefer the FNPs and XDs over the M&P or Glock, but that is a personal thing.
    Outstanding for what they are designed for, but that is NOT target shooting.

I have shot a few of the S&W M&P's and found them to be on par with the Glocks in the accuracy department. Standing at 25 yards I can shoot any of them into about a 3" group. Specifically, I shot a 4" (about) barrel 45 M&P and my G30 on same day at a nice indoor range with good light and kept fifty rounds from each gun in a hole in the middle. The M&P was out of the box and sighted in POA/POI at 15 yards right where it should be. What I did not like about it was recoil with the same ammo seem stronger than the smaller G30. Ammo was some Fiocchi 200 grain hollow point. Both guns gave POI at POA at 15 yards and both were about 1 1/2" high at 25 yds (yes high) The G30 out of the box was about 2" left at 15, I pushed the sight then shot this test yesterday.

I have shot one other 45 and two M&P 40's, with about the same results. Certainly combat accuracy, what ever that is. Any semi auto handgun that will shoot a 3" group at 25 yards is much better in accuracy than 90 % of their owners. I shoot every day at a nice indoor range a half mile from work, lunch time, free ammo. Many different guns and many different shooters are met at this range, I have seen one hole groups at 25 yards and 10" groups at 7 yards with the same gun, same ammo, different shooters. (these are rental guns). Just an observation.....
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

By the way i did end up installing a Storm Lake Barrel on my wifes M&P and it did tighten up the groups noticeably. Still not like my Wilson or STI, but like nbh40 said "apples and oranges". Not to mention you could buy 4 or 5 M&Ps for the same price

Quote Originally Posted by ak_tech View Post
    they do good in competitions. I usually shoot 1911 /2011 but i shoot my wife's M&P sometimes. I Qualified as Master with it and i can tell you that it is not as accurate as some of the other polymer guns but in my opinion it's "faster" for transitions and follow up shots. If shooting slow or from a bench it would seem crappy though. IMHO anyway
    I find it interesting that you shot better times with the M&P than the Glocks. I didn't and to me it seemed the recoil signature of the M&P was more pronounced than that of the Glocks. Maybe it is just my hands or maybe I need a grip panel change, I don't know. It is a new gun for me so it might just take me longer to get it down. What groups do you get with this gun rebarreled?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Could just be the size / shape of my hands. Not sure. I have kinda long fingers but still use the Medium grip panel. Also worth mentioning is that i mainly shoot 1911 and the grip angle is easier for me to go back and forth on with the S&W than the Glock. Of course Glocks are awesome. I shoot them well. Its just the M&P fits my hands a little better. Last year the M&P snagged a substantial share of the production division from Glock in USPSA competitions. You can read a lot into this or nothing.

I can tell you though that when it came time to taking the M&P completely apart i had a *** moment and really missed my Glock

I didn't spend any time on a bench but i would say probubly about 3" ish at 25 ish. The original factory barrel was ok but had a "sticky" chamber. After S&W "fixed" the problem the groups opened up noticeably.

These days the prose and cons of different polymer guns are small and relatively insagnificant compared to what points and feels good to you as an individual. Notice that i qualify polymer guns specifically to leave out 1911s. IMHO 1911s are not designed for mass assembly lines and quality / reliability varies greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_tech View Post
    Could just be the size / shape of my hands. Not sure. I have kinda long fingers but still use the Medium grip panel. Also worth mentioning is that i mainly shoot 1911 and the grip angle is easier for me to go back and forth on with the S&W than the Glock. Of course Glocks are awesome. I shoot them well. Its just the M&P fits my hands a little better. Last year the M&P snagged a substantial share of the production division from Glock in USPSA competitions. You can read a lot into this or nothing.

I can tell you though that when it came time to taking the M&P completely apart i had a *** moment and really missed my Glock

I didn't spend any time on a bench but i would say probubly about 3" ish at 25 ish. The original factory barrel was ok but had a "sticky" chamber. After S&W "fixed" the problem the groups opened up noticeably.

These days the prose and cons of different polymer guns are small and relatively insagnificant compared to what points and feels good to you as an individual. Notice that i qualify polymer guns specifically to leave out 1911s. IMHO 1911s are not designed for mass assembly lines and quality / reliability varies greatly.

I like the M&P's but I get the feeling, talking to owners, that there are some QA problems with the guns. If so that's too bad cuz it is a nice piece and the grip adaptation is a good move. I don't think I'd make master with one but haven't with the Glock 45's yet either. I spent four hundred years shooting 1911's in all the alphabet soup games and may have to stick with that. I'm old and can't move anymore, I do El Presidente in the high fives now. Grass grows beneath my feet!!

Yep, I have one in 45 and 9 mil. Love them both. I like 1911's the best but the comparison between the two is pointless. I've carried a glock 19 and have one with 50000+ rounds through it. I would take an M&P over the Glock any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I've put a good number of rounds through the 9mm and it's far more accurate, reliable and ergonomic. It also has the same grip angle as every other auto I own EXCEPT the glock. This is a huge advantage when I use a number of different types of pistols. Just my own experience though.

Glock owners fire away! I'll be reading the discussion about blondes or brunettes, then on to Chevy or Ford debates.

Anyone out there tried some of the APEX Tactical mods on these? I'm thinking on trying their carry trigger system for my .45

Shot the .40 a few times, not really hot on the gun. For some reason I just can't get used to the grip. Glock and XD all the way though..

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I did a test of several .45's a few years back that included the M&P, the Glock, a Kimber 1911, A Taurus 1911, the FNH .45 and a H&K. For accuracy, the Kimber and the Taurus were the winners. Yes, the Taurus. I hated the Kimber though because it always felt like it was going to get away from me. Second shots were MUCH slower. The Glock felt terrible in my hand and I didn't like shooting it. The best for ergonomics, decent accuracy and plain "shootability" were the M&P and the FNH. If I had to pick one from the group, I'd get the FNH.

Later on shot the XDM and liked it a whole lot too.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I have the M&P40 and i love it. I have some 1911's as well. To me the M&P series points better than my Glocks i used to own. I have beat the snot out of my M&P40 and it has not missed a beat. I have not cleaned it and it kept on shooting untill i could not stand it anymore. Its a great pistol and its my primary carry pistol