Thread: Suggested canoe trip and rental (btw Anchorage and Denali)?

Default Suggested canoe trip and rental (btw Anchorage and Denali)?

Hi, we're going to be driving up the George Parks Higway.....anyone have a suggestion for a canoe rental and river to canoe? It'll be me and my parents...We would prefer a flowing river with nice scenery and not too challenging (not serious whitewater). If it has ok fishing..that would be a plus, but it is definitely required. I'm probably better off not fishing b/c my mother is sure to get annoyed with me and my father's constant fishing...."it's not suppose to be just a fishing trip etc."

Three suggestions come to mind.

1. The Little Susitna River is accessible from the Parks at Houston. It's a fairly easy float but it would require a car-spotting or shuttle.

2. As an alternative, how about the nearby Lynx Lake Loop at Nancy Lake State Recreation Area? Eight mile lake loop, nice scenery, and some fishing (not fabulous, but some.)

3. Saved the best for last -- contact Tippecanoe in Willow for rentals and expert info on local canoeing opportunities in the same vicinity.

Talking Canoe rentals

I know REI has rentals for members. its pretty cheap to be a REI member i believe, and we have people all the time come down from Anchorage that have rented canoes from REI.
    You can put the canoe on top of your rig and head out where ever you want. I am not sure the price per day for the canoe rentals, but It should be about average as any livery.
    I rent mine from $25 to $50 bucks per day depending on the type of canoe. I think that is about the range you will find.
    I would like to do those rivers in Kayaks also.
    Rentals for those should be about the same. Mine rent for 25 to 50 bucks. My white water or river kayaks are cheaper than a Glass sea kayak, so it should be about the same as the canoes.
    the use of two vehicle drop off, or setting up a shuttle is going to be your biggest hurdle. you may want to make a few calls to the areas you plan on putting in and taking out and see if someone offers a service.
    in my younger days, I never thought much about that, as my thumb was always assured a ride back to my truck at the put in.. I never had to wait long, or do more than a couple of hitches to get to the truck,,,,, I am not suggesting you do this,, but that always worked for me...
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

In the Nancy Lakes area, can you paddle all the way back to Red Shirt Lake? There's a 3 mile trail for walking, but I'd prefer to not walk with all my gear, and my boat, that far. It looks like there's a stream that goes to Red Shirt that begins at the lake at the end of the road.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Also, does anyone know how long it would take to paddle the Little Susitna, from the Houston put-in down to the river access road. It's looking like a two-day venture from what I see on Google Earth.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default little sue

it will take 3 easy days or 2 hard days [if you fish it will take a little longer] frist 4 or 5 miles can be tuff to paddle if not a experanced paddler lots of boat trafic an sweepers an if the water is high look out [you will tip it over]

Know some people that do it for fun 16-18 hours paddling.

I have done the trip in my Mokai 6-7 hours if you press and don't stop 12 -13 hours back up stream lots of fun.

Cheers