Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 214

Thread: What Sport/Personal Use Fishermen/women Can Do!

  1. #1

    Thumbs up What Sport/Personal Use Fishermen/women Can Do!

    Sport fishers unite. Encourage all you know to NOT EAT COMMERCIALLY CAUGHT FISH, of any kind!!! Even processed fake fish are directly responsible for the desimation of Alaska's Salmon. If you see someone in a store looking in the fish freezer section, tell them how they are helping to destroy the species. If you work in a Sports Retail Store or Tackle Shop, post a WARNING SIGN so that partrons can read and understand how the commercial fisheries are destroying Alaska's Wild Salmon Runs. If you work in a fast food joint, discourage the sale of fishwiches. Get the word out. Put it out there, on all the forums you participate in. We all need to say ENOUGH ALREADY. IF you see a guy selling fish out of the back of his truck, in the bar ditch, stop and ask to see his license's to do so. Put them on the run. There is much we can do, email all your relatives and friends outside, and let them know what is happening up here.
    If you have additional ideas on how we can stop the commercial take, post them up here, so I can take advantage of your ideas.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  2. #2

    Default

    WHHHOOOOOOOOO BOY!!!!! Can't wait for the responses on this one! Think I'll grab some popcorn and watch!!!

  3. #3
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    How ya gonna get this message out in Japan?

    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    How ya gonna get this message out in Japan?

    We have two senators and one rep. set a fire under their collective butts. We need laws that protect alaskans and their right to feed themselvest. Look at is another form of predator control, anybody or anything that waste that much of any resource is a predator.
    Chuck

  5. #5
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Res, with all your winking smilies and tongue-in-cheek commentary, it's tough to know when you're serious or when you're engaging in hyperbole. I enjoy your participation here, but I take much of what you say with a grain of salt. I received a reported post message about this one, but like others, I'm going to grab some popcorn and see what unfolds.

    For what its worth, our management practices are not perfect and are always worthy of scrutiny. The trawl-caught king catch is particularly worrisome this past year and we need to seriously reconsider how that fishery is run. That being said, I doubt any reasonable, thinking man would argue that all commercially-caught fish is connected to the "decimation of Alaska's salmon". I commercially fish, and I fail to see how longlining for sablefish in depths of 2,000' is contributing to the decline of salmon.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    How ya gonna get this message out in Japan?

    Don't really have to, IF the supply chain is choked off at it's origins. A lot of public monies have been spent in creating the market, now Alaskans' need to undo what has been done. Don't give weigh to a commercial boat, when on the water or in transport. Don't deal with them in a business like manner. They can find other things to do to make a living, just like they did just a few years back, when the market was in shambles. Do you guys and gals not remember how good the fishing was at that time?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Don't give weigh to a commercial boat, when on the water or in transport. Don't deal with them in a business like manner.
    Actually endorsing unsafe acts on our waterways? Not abiding by the "Rules of the road" established by the U.S. Coast Guard? I personally have assisted or towed to safety at least a half a dozen recreational boats in recent years. I'm certain those folks were glad I was there. To actually call for the mistreatment of a person because he makes a living harvesting a public resource is unbelievable, and you've lost all credibility w/ me.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-02-2010 at 10:02. Reason: Removed comment

  8. #8

    Default

    This is about the Commercial Fishing Industry....not the individual. Speaking of that....that industry lost all credibilty with me, a long time back. It has become an industry that cannot sustain itself, has to have public monies to prop it up, in management and marketing; it has done irreprable harm to fish stocks and marine ecosytems across the globe, not just here in our back yard. I would like to hear of one good rational explanation of why Alaskan's would want to see this continue or worse yet, get bigger. I for one, am simply not interested in having our resources used to feed the masses, at the risk of depleting them. We as a society do not have the knowledge nor the mindset to stem the greed that exists in ourselves and place the resource first and foremost. As individuals though, we can do a lot to curb the process and slow it down a mite.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Good Luck with this one Res,

    seems you're just "Ranting" about something that you have little knowledge of, Sustainability

    C'mon, I can see you have a problem with some forms of harvest, probably everybody does to some extent, meaning "the other guy" up current a ways, but you've gotta be able to come up with better than this,

    Or you'll just be dismissed like most, if not all, Ranters are,
    by the folks who really make decisions, as in, the rest of us........
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  10. #10
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Actually endorsing unsafe acts on our waterways? Not abiding by the "Rules of the road" established by the U.S. Coast Guard? I personally have assisted or towed to safety at least a half a dozen recreational boats in recent years. I'm certain those folks were glad I was there.
    Tried to rep ya here FB but gotta spread it more I guess, VERY GOOD POINT
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  11. #11
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default

    Thats ok Kodiak.

    I covered him for you.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  12. #12

    Default

    I think you'd have about as much luck stopping people from eating commercially-caught fish as you would organizing a "don't buy gas on this date" boycott when you think fuel prices are too high.

  13. #13
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Whats next 'Res, boycott all forms of produce because the pesky farmers have destroyed once prime Buffalo habitat?
    Sheesh.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  14. #14
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    boycott every box store in the valley because they are built on prime moose habitat. and mickey d's in homer too. ( oh yeah, i don't shop there or eat that cr*p anyway)
    or...
    just say "no" to "res-rant"... use the ignore button... works for me!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  15. #15
    Member Alaskanmutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    947

    Default

    There is an ignore button??????
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

  16. #16
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    This is about the Commercial Fishing Industry....not the individual. Speaking of that....that industry lost all credibilty with me, a long time back. It has become an industry that cannot sustain itself, has to have public monies to prop it up, in management and marketing; it has done irreprable harm to fish stocks and marine ecosytems across the globe, not just here in our back yard. I would like to hear of one good rational explanation of why Alaskan's would want to see this continue or worse yet, get bigger. I for one, am simply not interested in having our resources used to feed the masses, at the risk of depleting them. We as a society do not have the knowledge nor the mindset to stem the greed that exists in ourselves and place the resource first and foremost. As individuals though, we can do a lot to curb the process and slow it down a mite.
    Awww crap, I actually agree with you. What now? Guess I'll go get good and drunk and see if this was just a dream when I wake up.

  17. #17
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Ok, guess I can't accuse you of "Ranting, to no avail" without offering some kind of intelligent response,
    tho not sure this approach warrants it........

    I believe that once we have our hands in the mix, there is no way we can pull out and hope to maintain a balance,
    Point being, "There is no way the Sport Guys alone can do the harvesting that is required to keep the balance."

    For Example, You Know those Pesky Cod fish that a lot of Sport guys aren't too excited about keeping for the Freezer?
    They are on a pretty big upswing right now, Know what they really like to eat? Candlefish,

    You know what King Salmon REALLY like to eat Also? Candlefish, y'kno those balls of feed you often work the edges of to catch Kings? CANDLEFISH,
    and what's underneath those Kings grabbing a LOT of candlefish? Pacific Cod,
    SO what happens to the King Salmon when the Cod just explode, only a few sport guys keeping them.....???

    BOOM and BUST cycles of Salmon, Historically that was a constant for subsistence users through out the years, There weren't just tons of Salmon all the time when the comm guys weren't around, the Salmon went in cycles as do the Cod, Halibut, Sea Lions, etc.

    So once we start introducing extra stocks of Salmon thru Hatcheries....... well it goes on and on.

    We're in Now, so we gotta stay in the mix, Serious Harvesting of species like Cod and others is a REQUIREMENT for Management.

    Something to think about anyway.

    as much as I'd love to follow this Manic Thread, I'll be out of town attempting to help manage the Introduced Mt Goat Herd on Kodiak, Rumor has it they'll be starving, overpopulated on Western Kodiak..... or Bears will be getting Too Big eating them all, So,
    Gotta go down and keep our hand in the mix I guess, awww shucks there's work to do. See Ya
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  18. #18
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    cod predator control.
    that's the answer!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Don't give weigh to a commercial boat, when on the water or in transport.
    Do you mean don't give way, as in don't get out of their way? If that's the meaning here, I think it's somewhat risky for a sport fisherman. Do you advocate inviting confrontation? If that isn't what you mean, pardon my ignorance. I like to fish, and do so way more than a little, but it isn't my life, and I wouldn't risk that for a few fish.

  20. #20
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    This thread wasn't started with the intent of having a rational discussion, now was it Res?

    I already know the answer.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •