Thread: The Ramblin' Rifle...

Default The Ramblin' Rifle...

Some time back I mentioned a custom rifle made by a local Smithie on a Montana action with a Broughton barrel and an MPI fiberglass stock. The finish is a durable baked on polymer called cera-kote, the color is "Frog Green". The same color as that stinkin' greasy crap we used to put on our faces.

Whadda ya' think?

The caliber? Oh, it's a 338 WSM!

Yes, my wife is at work and I'm playing with her camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Ramblin

It ain't purty like a rust blue job. It is a neat rifle though. So whats the weight and barrel length? What bullet is it going to be shooting? How about a .225 gr. Swift A Frame.

Looks great Murphy,

I love my Montana action rifle and I am very sure you will as well. I had them build my entire rifle (280 rem) up bbl and all minus stock (McMillan).

Doug

Default Friend of mine...

used that same color on a 1911, seems to be quite pleased with it. His WIFE, however, wasn't, at least not until after the stink went away. Seems he used 'her' oven to bake it on!
    I know an awful lot of guys get slobberin' silly when they see an 03A3 or M1 that's had it's Parker-type finish go 'green'.
    I used about the same shade of Krylon on a Bell & Carlson stock that I put onto a 1939 dated Oberndorf M98 done up as a .35 Whelen, then had the metal bead blasted and blued, though I think back and it would've been as easy to Park it, too.
    I LIKE it!

Default frog green rifle

sweet!! That pic is incomplete, gimme a full side view. I like rugged irons on everything. Hope you got a barrelband front. Possibly a tritium?( fingers crossed)

hey murph, can ya call a rifle a ramblin' rifle without ruffling Kifaru's feathers? remember his rifle?

Question price

That rig is a real beauty. Can we see a pic of the front sight? Pic of the whole rifle? What did that puppy cost total? (not counting scope) How long did you have to wait? I am not a fan of the little fatties but i am imagining that kinda rifle in .358 winchester or the long action in .35 whelen, .375 whelen,.375hawk/scoville, .411hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    hey murph, can ya call a rifle a ramblin' rifle without ruffling Kifaru's feathers? remember his rifle?
    H/C,

Maybe you're right. I don't think this rifle is sophisticated enough to be called a ramblin' rifle. I don't want to step on his toes.

Maybe a better name would be a draggin' rifle. A "get down and get muddy" rifle. Rugged and utilitarian, yet refined in a an ugly sort of way.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default More shots of the Mud Gun..

This is the requested front sight. It is a barrel band NECG with a flip up Moon Bead or what is refered to, in some circles, as a leopard sight. A barrel band frot swivel stud is also included.

I'm limited to only two pics per post so will have to add more later. What do you think of the sight?

Default More Sights and Band...

I need more space. How's this shot?

nice, veeeerrrry nice.

jedi

Smile

It's nice to see a man so proud of his rifle!!! Its beautiful. Have they talked with you about advertizing for them?