Thread: Pachmayr Decelerator help

Smile Pachmayr Decelerator help

I need a little help here. I am trying to take a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad off of an old wood stock. Other recoil pads I have installed have holes in the pad itself to insert a screwdriver so that you can simply screw the pad on. This Decelerator does not. Obviously there is something simple I am missing here. I can't see how to get to the screw heads to unscrew it without poking holes in the pad. Thanks.

It is one of two things. Either it is "glued" on with Brownells bedding compound (how most recoil pads are put on synthetic stocks and a few wood stocks) then ground down to fit stock. Or it is screwed in, and the soft rubber of the decelerator pad "sucks" in around the screw holes, almost concealing them. If it is on this way there will be two imperfections above and below the Pachmayr label on the recoil pad. Stick a phillips screw driver in those imperfections and push screwdriver in till it comes in contact with the phillips screws, then unscrew. If they are not there then it is glued on. You will have to get a power chop saw (miter) and line everything up and cut the recoil pad off. This will be done exactly at the wood/recoil pad junction. If it is an actual decelerator pad, this mounting plate is made of hard plastic and the chop saw blade will cut through it like butter. Hope this helps

Thanks for the input. I do know it is screwed on because I did do an "exploratory" cut into the stock to try to find out this very thing. I originally did think it was glued on because there are no holes in the pad in which to insert a screwdriver. I am not home right now to look at it again but I looked very closely as well as poke around a bit and I am sure there are no holes of any kind in which to insert a screwdriver unless I make my own, in which I was trying to prevent.

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    Thanks for the input. I do know it is screwed on because I did do an "exploratory" cut into the stock to try to find out this very thing. I originally did think it was glued on because there are no holes in the pad in which to insert a screwdriver. I am not home right now to look at it again but I looked very closely as well as poke around a bit and I am sure there are no holes of any kind in which to insert a screwdriver unless I make my own, in which I was trying to prevent.
    Do not know if you fixed this yet. If you saw the base off you will be left with 2 screws without heads - a PITA to remove. Also if you dig around and manage to find the holes, you will not know what size/type screwdriver to use and chances are you will strip them - again a PITA.
    If you are 'sacrificing' the old pad then the best way is to cut the soft rubber off with a Utility knife, just leaving the hard plastic base. This will reveal the screws and you can then unscrew the base easily.