Thread: sea plane kit for a C-180

Default sea plane kit for a C-180

Anybody know anything about putting a sea plane mod in a C-180 ? All I've ever heard is that its cost prohibited and hard to find a mechanic to d the job. Thanks Tom

There used to be a guy in Homer that did it. That was a long time ago. If I was looking to do it I'd call Seaplanes West.

They newer the 180 the more complicated it gets.
    Tim

Tom,
    Never done one personally, but heard it's pretty cost prohibitive as well. The lower door sill doublers were like $400 ea when I bought them for my project. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Labor would be the killer. Not necessarily technical, but very time consuming IMO.
    A friend was quoted 10k a couple years ago if that gives you some idea.

My Brother-in-law had this done about five years ago. $10K is around what it cost then. It was done in Anchorage. He has a newer 180.

Tom,

Before I got the 180B with float and ski capability I did some research on this myself. I was directed by A&Ps and other owners to buy a plane that had that capability from the factory.

Yep the cost is probably more then $10k.

Hey, if your not already aware, whoop over to the skywagons forum. There's tons of info there on Skywagons..Tons...

Good luck with it.

Rick

Default thanks guys

just as I thought, better to sell this one and get one ready to go if I want to fly floats bad enough. Think I'll just play with the big tires for a few years. Tom

Then again ... If you have an c-180 that has not been beat to death with years of float landings and hard ski landings, you have a great place to start. I added a float kit to my 56 about 1992 and it was not cheap, I think about 7 or 8K. I have yet to put the airplane on floats but I am glad I did it, the plane was a lot tighter, more solid. Dennis Haines did the kit to cessna specs which was absolutely important, I do not know if Dennis is still doing this kind of work but my experience was very good.