Thread: Mdf report on cwd

Default Mdf report on cwd

There are probably only a few folks here that go down to the lower 48 to hunt deer, but i found the new science and reports from the MDF to be a good read and every hunter that travels south should be aware of the effects of CWD- chronic wasting disease. We all know the big scare that came about when it started spreading from state to state, but the last few years the hype has gone away, but the disease has spread to more than 20 states and providences. It has infected deer,elk and now moose, however antelope and sheep seam imune. studies now show that it is spread from body fluids, but mosty spinal/brian tissue, it has never been found to infect humans. each state handled the spread differently over the years but nothing has thus far worked, from not doing anything at all to killing as many deer as you can get the public to take and state deer disposale programs or monitoring game by collars. Over all, studies are showing that once found in a area it spreads and 20-40% of the population dies off, however the herds stay at around the same population because the disease takes 4 years to manifest, allowing the game to reproduce(hit sexual matureity). So what I get from this is after it is spread you wont see, or see very few bucks/Bull, that are older than 4 years of age, and it takes longer than that to grow to become a mature animal. They still know little about CWD and have not moved very far in 10 years, I find that alarming! what is even worse the phrase that researchers are using is..get this.."ONCE YOU HAVE IT, YOURE SCREWED".

I hunt in a CWD area in Colorado every year. There HASNT been a proven case where it has been passed from game animal to human. In fact they used to require that your animal be tested. Now it is voluntary for testing. I have never been worried about shooting an infected animal but I do get animals tested each year before eating them. I'd be more worried about being killed by a drunk driver than contracting CWD.

okay, thats serious... if it is spread by brian tissue he isn't fishing on my boat again, ever.
    sorry, dude!.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Brain and spinal fluid seems like a really odd medium to spread a disease. I can imagine this being something to be avoided by hunters but how is it spreading amongst the game population? I don't see a lot of animals swapping cerebral spinal fluid on a day to day basis...

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    I found the new science and reports from the MDF to be a good read
    Do you have to get the magazine to get the info? I checked their website and couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Brain and spinal fluid seems like a really odd medium to spread a disease. I can imagine this being something to be avoided by hunters but how is it spreading amongst the game population? I don't see a lot of animals swapping cerebral spinal fluid on a day to day basis...
    Yea...I thought it was Mad Cow that was spread through spinal fluids and brain tissue...I'd like to see the research, seems like we may have two problems being reported as one.

Just a check on CWD:

The presumed CWD agent (PrPCWD) has been demonstrated by immunohistochemistry in various lymphoid tissues, including those of the digestive tract (e.g., tonsil, Peyer's patches, and mesenteric lymph nodes). These distribution patterns suggest that PrPCWD may be shed through the alimentary tract. Because TSE agents are extremely resistant in the environment, transmission may be both direct and indirect. A recent study has shown that, in a controlled environment, PrPCWD is capable of transmitting CWD through saliva (by oral inoculation) and blood (by transfusion) (Mathiason et al. 2006). Concentrating deer and elk in captivity or by artificial feeding probably increases the likelihood of direct and indirect transmission between individuals. Contaminated pastures appear to have served as sources of infection in some CWD epidemics; similar phenomena have been suspected in some outbreaks of sheep scrapie. The apparent persistence of PrPCWD in contaminated environments represents a significant obstacle to eradication of CWD from either farmed or free-ranging cervid populations.

http://www.cwd-info.org/

Simple Precautions Advised

Public health and wildlife officials advise hunters to take the following precautions when pursuing or handling deer and elk that may have been exposed to CWD:
    • Do not shoot, handle or consume any animal that is acting abnormally or appears to be sick. Contact your state game and fish department if you see or harvest an animal that appears sick.
    • Wear latex or rubber gloves when field dressing your deer or elk.
    • Bone out the meat from your animal. Don't saw through bone, and avoid cutting through the brain or spinal cord (backbone).
    • Minimize the handling of brain and spinal tissues.
    • Wash hands and instruments thoroughly after field dressing is completed.
    • Avoid consuming brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils and lymph nodes of harvested animals. (Normal field dressing coupled with boningout a carcass will remove most, if not all, of these body parts. Cuttingaway all fatty tissue will remove remaining lymph nodes.)
    • Avoid consuming the meat from any animal that tests positive for the disease.
    • If you have your deer or elk commercially processed, request that your animal is processed individually, without meat from other animals being added to meat from your animal.

Thanks for picking up my slack on the thread ERDUCKER, words right out of my mouth. And those are the precautions that they say you should do, but I find it odd that there has never been a case where the disease has spread animal to human, and that it was first documented in 1967, and been around for much longer. I wonder how many hunters have ate the meat without ever knowing it, because im sure some of us have, its hard to tell by just observations. I dont like the idea of eatting a infected animal, and Im sure that it is just a precaution to keep multi species infection(to humans), with 1000s of animals infected and not one person being infected, i would say for now we are safe. mad cow diseas and CWD are different diseases and im not realy sure how, Ill have to find out, because there is burcelosis too that is also similar. What seams to be the problem about the education, is that there was a big hype about it for awhile then it went cold and you hear little about it now. And this is why I posted, for now we dont have to worry about it in alaska but no research has been done on moose or caribou, there have been confirmed cases with moose though that makes it a reality if it spreads, its already be found in saskatchewan and alberta canada. thats a little scary.

Looks like the MDF- mule deer foundation isnt available for everyone, ?? to bad,.. I subscribe to the magazine and get the latest info, www.muledeer.org , if you are interested

So after all these posts are why are we saying "the sky is falling"? Simple precautions are all that is necessary. If you hunt in a CWD area, you should have read everything available on CWD. Don't shoot and definitely don't eat an animal that appears infected. Get your animals tested if you're hunting in a CWD area. I repeat.....there is not any evidence of the disease being passed from an animal to humans. I'm leaving for my annual Colorado deer hunt on Thursday, and I'm not worried one bit that I'll be getting sick from an infected animal. I think someone is trying to spread fear on this page!

ADF&G put out an article on CWD this month. It advised against using imported deer urine, as that's how CWD got a foothold in NY.

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...rticles_id=481

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    So after all these posts are why are we saying "the sky is falling"? Simple precautions are all that is necessary. If you hunt in a CWD area, you should have read everything available on CWD. Don't shoot and definitely don't eat an animal that appears infected. Get your animals tested if you're hunting in a CWD area. I repeat.....there is not any evidence of the disease being passed from an animal to humans. I'm leaving for my annual Colorado deer hunt on Thursday, and I'm not worried one bit that I'll be getting sick from an infected animal. I think someone is trying to spread fear on this page!
    what? where do you thing Democrats come from??????

( pretty sure that one will get deleted.... )
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    what? where do you thing Democrats come from??????

( pretty sure that one will get deleted.... )
    Dang it I am all out of rep points Vince