Thread: griz unit 13

Default griz unit 13

a friend and i are planning a hunt this spring in unit 13 for grizzly. curious were some good jumping off points might be, we are going to try and do it on snowmachines. also, when do the bears there usually come out on average and are sleds viable? is there enough snow usually? thanks

Oshetna river in may. As for jumping off point, the denali is the easiest (bring extra gas). Big bears come out of there.

Default plan on the warm days

Never made the hunt myself but done some research on it. One thing to consider with sleds is the spring may require travel in the morning. Afternoons the snow softens up and tarvel can be limited or eliminated. Best wishes on the hunt.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

What Blink said but hit it 2 week in April.We have pulled them out of the "cow pasture" in years past from the 6th to the 17th.And also what carnivore said.Plan on traveling in EARLY morning because by early afternoon the snow is completly different.Awesome time of year to winter camp!Good luck and go get you some moose munchers!

thanks for the info guys. what about going around eureka or off of the richardson highway? see many wolves up there?

Yes,the oshetna and "cow pasture" are back behing Eureka.You have a very good chance seeing wolves.Take them out!!

Maybe you're thinking of "horse pasture" between the Lil Nel and the Little Oshetna rivers. We go in from Eureka as it is about 50 miles to the Big Oshetna river. Never came in from the Denali as the road may not be open yet.

Yep Mod thats it.We always called it the cow pasture because one year we went back there and seen hundreds of cow caribou gathered looking like they might be getting ready to drop their calves.We seen 6 bears and shot one.Talk about a bear buffet,lol.

Default Unit 13 hunt

There is some great spring hunting up there. I go up in late may each year and hunt between mile 60 and mile 40 of the highway. I know they get some in mid to late april if your snow machining. Al Nichols, that own's the lodge up there on the MacLaren, has been great at providing info on where the bears have been sighted. He would like them thinned out as much as anyone else that spends time up there, so he's happy to help.

Al's lodge is open year around, and you can email him from his website that I pasted below. I usually get all the weather and road info from him before I head up. State opens the road no later then May 15th every year, but washouts in May are common, so you'll want to check.

Good Luck!

http://www.maclarenlodge.com/

Thumbs up

Just FYI, Denali state park will have brn bear season aligned with the rest of Unit 13. Year round, 24/7. BOG decision.