Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The perfect "HOLSTER"........for Alaska.

Default The perfect "HOLSTER"........for Alaska.

The Perfect "HOLSTER" for a handgun.....???

I have two good size boxes full of holsters of every type ever made. Most holsters are very uncomfortable. Holsters are "GENERALLY NOT MADE TO PROTECT" the firearm. Most holsters are made for some form of quick access, or sex appeal.

The type of weather, the time of year (season), concealment, sporting, tactical, military, Duty, shoulder, ankle type, fanny packs, etc., etc., etc..are part of the proper choice.

If we did a survey (pole) I am sure which type Holster would come in dead last. Which holster has the very least "SEX" appeal, and would be deemed the dumbest type holster made.

And the winner of the last holster you would buy is the Flap type holster. So why with two boxes of holsters do I see that 19 out of 22 handguns live in Flap type holsters.....?

Because it affords the best protection to the handgun. Mud, blood, leaves, dirt, rain, snow, dust, airborne seeds, sawdust, etc.

I even put the handgun in a thin (very thin) plastic sleeve, like the ones the newspaper comes in. Put the handgun in the sleeve and fold the sleeve over, and close the flap. The handgun is protected and can if necessary be discharged through the plastic sleeve.

Funny how we just posted this topic about the same time. I have found I have a need for several holsters. I carry a Glock 20 95% of the time and my 5.5" .44 Redhawk the other.
    So my needs for the G20 are a concealable open top fast draw strong side leather holster for CCW and a single open top leather mag pouch.
    I also need a holster for use with my backpack when trekking around hunting or exploring, for this I use a Diamond D chest rig which is an excellent rig for both guns.
    My other holster set up I need is for everyday not in town situations like cutting wood, being out and about working on the property, cruising on the wheeler or snowmachine etc. where concealment isn't an issue and that's why I'm looking at a flap holster, good belt and a dual covered mag pouch to wear on the outside of my jacket or parka.

Good post AGL4now!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I've got no problems with a Flap Holster, but I don't need one.

Most of my holsters are for my right hip. I have both a hip holster and a chest holster for my 44.

The Chest Holster is the better of the two, all around. This is especially true when you have a long barrel, and I like long barrels.

Outta the brush, outta the rain, and you can sit or work without it getting in the way.

That said, I can live with the hip holsters. It it's too beeg a problem, I just hang it over my neck and shoulder. It's not as comfortable as a chest holster, but it keeps it up outta the way. I've done it many times, in the old days.

I just liked to have a handgun along wherever I went.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I use a chest holster for my glock 20. I think its called the alaska backpacker? Made in alaska I know that. Keeps the gun handy, secure and protected. Great for wearing a backpack or riding.

All styles have some value and purpose. Only problem with a flap holster is you never know when someone will remove the pistol and stick a banana in the holster.Bang the bear gets desert too
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    All styles have some value and purpose. Only problem with a flap holster is you never know when someone will remove the pistol and stick a banana in the holster.Bang the bear gets desert too
    Makes me think of a great way to carry a "banana mag"

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Funny how we just posted this topic about the same time. I have found I have a need for several holsters. I carry a Glock 20 95% of the time and my 5.5" .44 Redhawk the other.
    So my needs for the G20 are a concealable open top fast draw strong side leather holster for CCW and a single open top leather mag pouch.
    I also need a holster for use with my backpack when trekking around hunting or exploring, for this I use a Diamond D chest rig which is an excellent rig for both guns.
    My other holster set up I need is for everyday not in town situations like cutting wood, being out and about working on the property, cruising on the wheeler or snowmachine etc. where concealment isn't an issue and that's why I'm looking at a flap holster, good belt and a dual covered mag pouch to wear on the outside of my jacket or parka.

Good post AGL4now!
    I have to agree about the Diamond D chest holster. I bring it along with my Redhawk whenever I'm out in the woods and I find it to be quite comfortable. It's a bit pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCATTER View Post
    Just bought mine, have a waiting period but will be the perfect hunting, trail and camp holster. my order was for one holster for scope mounted revolver and one for open sights, they will innercange with the shoulder harness. http://www.barrantileather.com/images/dt___nwh_rig.jpg
    I currently am using the chesty puller from rob leahy. http://www.simplyrugged.com/wp/wp-co...uller_7_lg.jpg , both work quite well for keaping your big bore handgun handy!

That Barranti holster for you BisHunter looks real nice. I too have a Simply Rugged pancake. It's for my 4" Redhawk. So far so good with it. I carry it strong side. I may get the chesty puller system for it or just make my own. I could come in handy at times.

Bob Mernickle made a nice, strong side, high ride holster I carry a 4"blackhawk in. It protects the pistol very well and I've never had any issues with getting junk in it. It rides high enough to tuck in against my side and never gets in the way. He makes the holster with a couple of different mounting options but I had a loop fitted specifically for my belt (Wilderness Instructors belt, with reinforcement). The holster never moves, not during carry, not during the draw cycle. And there are no flaps, buckles or other garbage to do before getting my pistol out. He is an awesome man to deal with as well.

For concealed carry or duty holsters with a 1911, glock, M&P or whatever else you carry, it's hard to beat Blade Tech or Comp-Tac open top. I carry daily for work and I've used both for a number of years now with zero issues. They are fast, quiet and durable. Some choose the plastic (not kydex) Blackhawk Serpa, but, in my experience they never last long. It only takes one missed or flubbed draw to convince them to throw that holster away. That is with one caveat. Vehicle drivers prefer to wear chest holsters mounted to their armor and the Serpa seems like a good choice for that purpose.

Best for Alaska? I guess it depends on what you carry, what you wear while you carry (heavy clothing, backpack, fishing vest etc), what your proficiency with a handgun is, how often you practice your draw cycle (not just the shooting part), and on and on and on.

I guess the best holster is just like any number of other things. The best holster is one that fits you, holds your firearm securely and allows you to remove the gun quickly without having to wrestle it from the holster without giving you a wedgie.

I just got one of the Diamond D chest rigs but have not had the time to really use it yet, plus I'm a hip holster guy so it will take a lot of practice to get used to it. Looks very well made though.

do you guys prefer the open ended holsters on the barrel end, or closed? I know firing through a closed end wouldnt be the best scenario, but I've always prefered closed ended since they seem to keep the barrel protected too, sort of like the flaps keep the handgrips protected. I've had some fellows tell me they like open ended since dirt nd stuff can fall straight through and out if need be, but I've never had anything substantial accumulate down inside that I havent been able to clean out every few years or so.

I actually prefer a crossdraw for most of my carry, weather on a 4-wheeler, horse, boat seat, or in the vehicle, a cross draw just seems to tuck out of the way more easily and I find it more comfortable, hence I tend to carry a bit more frequently as compared to the uncomfortable, or difficult contraptions to install. I rarely carry a handgun if I have a rifle, so when I'm backpacking it's not really been an issue, but if I were to carry then, I think that Diamond D backpacker by David Johnston would be my first choice.

I have seen closed bottom holsters fill with water/snow and sticks go right up the barrel on open bottom modles.On closed bottom I like to drill a couple small hole. On holsters with snaps to remove the pistol I have seen the snaps frooze hard enough that the male part of the snap was pulled through the leather
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Google this

Wyoming Combination Holster

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Google this

Looks like they used about a half of cow to build that thing.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Looks like they used about a half of cow to build that thing.
    Pictures are deceiving. I had one made for my scoped SBH. It's a nice rig.

The Guides Choice Chest Holster is the by far the best Alaska Chest holster available. You can not beat the ease of carry, easy access, no matter how big the gun is it rides nice and firm to your chest. You can get it with or without a flap and made specifically for any gun. Revolver or Semi-auto. Check out the new website and look through all of the holsters but we have sold over 10,000 Guides Choice and not any have been returned because it wasn't the best chest holster they have ever had. www.DiamondDCustomLeather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Pictures are deceiving. I had one made for my scoped SBH. It's a nice rig.
    It wasn't heavy? It looks very strong.
    I have a Simply Rugged for a 4" Redhawk, works good.
    Then I tried a Bianchi 7001 Accumold thumbsnap. It's my favorite by far.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondd View Post
    The Guides Choice Chest Holster is the by far the best Alaska Chest holster available. You can not beat the ease of carry, easy access, no matter how big the gun is it rides nice and firm to your chest. You can get it with or without a flap and made specifically for any gun. Revolver or Semi-auto. Check out the new website and look through all of the holsters but we have sold over 10,000 Guides Choice and not any have been returned because it wasn't the best chest holster they have ever had. www.DiamondDCustomLeather.com
    You offer first class, super high quality products, and your a nice guy.........

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    It wasn't heavy? It looks very strong.
    I have a Simply Rugged for a 4" Redhawk, works good.
    Then I tried a Bianchi 7001 Accumold thumbsnap. It's my favorite by far.
    It's actually surprisingly light, very light in fact. Here's a write up with a bunch of pics I did.

Thanks for that link, Snyd. It doesn't look as big in your review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast