Thread: Need flap holster advice for my Glock20

Default Need flap holster advice for my Glock20

So after living here for a couple of years and carrying my G20 in the woods while fishing, chopping wood, hiking, berry picking etc. I have come to this conclusion... I need a better carry method for my strong side situation on a belt. I need a flap type holster that is synthetic and of high quality that fits my G20, any suggestions?

In case people were wondering why I'm making this decision, it's due to having chunks of vegetation and wood chips etc. wind up in my current holster a Galco cop 3 slot and getting into the gun itself. This isn't for CCW mind you it's for when I'm in the wilds without a large pack.
    Any help as to brands and or websites is greatly appreciated.

Mountaintrekker

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Maybe, you could wear the gun higher on your hip, (Wear Suspenders), and let you coat hand down over it.

Some coats, and tops, have a drawstring at the bottom hem.

A flap might help some, but the Flap could be pulled open by the buck brush. (One of the probably, about 50 different kinds of willows, here in the Greatland.)

Of course, them Coyotes will sneak up and, knock it open too, if they get a chance.

Smitty of the North

??????
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

MT, I'm in the same situation as you. Except I have one additional requirement. I have a Surefire flashlight mounted on the rails to my G20, so I need a holster that will accomodate both the gun and the light. I think I have found the solution. It is a Safariland holster and can be seen here:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6280 If you click on the link there is a very nice instructional video.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safarila...and-dbeac.html Optics Planet sells the holster for $96.00 Safariland also offers a quick disconnect belt loop system that makes transfer of the holster from your pack to pants belt quiet easy. The holster disconnects from the belt hookup, with gun inside, and snaps onto another belt hookup at a different location, like in wearing the holster on the pack belt and easily swapping the holster to your pants belt when the pack comes off.

The holster, while not the flap type you seek, is a securely made piece of equipment that will firmly retain your weapon encased in a full enclosure. Once familiar with the workings of the holster, the gun can be quickly drawn.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Quote Originally Posted by Ex1811 View Post
    The holster, while not the flap type you seek, is a securely made piece of equipment that will firmly retain your weapon encased in a full enclosure. Once familiar with the workings of the holster, the gun can be quickly drawn.
    The point is NOT quick-draw, that is for cowboys. The point is that when you need the firearm (Revolver or self-loading) it is NOT packed with dust, dirt, seeds, leaves, pine-needles, glacier silt, blood, hair or fur, etc.

EX1811, that is a nice holster, but I'm still looking for something like AGL4now commented on. I need to keep out all of the garbage from the holster and pistol that seems to accumulate while wearing on the hip during a work day. The bianchi is an option, I'd like to know if anyone has one and what they think about keeping out the detritous.
    Marinehawk, what say you? What pistol do you use with that Bianchi and how is the fit/function? I'm a bit hesitant using a holster model that is made for multiple brands and sizes as I don't think it will be as tight fitting.

Mountaintrekker

If you insist on a flap style I would look at the Bianchi military M12 style.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...p?numSubCat=26

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The point is NOT quick-draw, that is for cowboys. The point is that when you need the firearm (Revolver or self-loading) it is NOT packed with dust, dirt, seeds, leaves, pine-needles, glacier silt, blood, hair or fur, etc.
    Last time I checked I don't own a cow, so I don't think I'm a cowboy, but I do have the hat that goes with the cowboy get-up. You guys must really be some manly men, gettin all that Blood hair and fur into your guns. At least you didn't mention having to contend with feathers and fish scales so I guess you've got the feathers thing licked.

Experience with flap holsters is such that the flap is either well secured with a buckle that prevents any type of smooth draw or the danged flap comes open, hence is useless for securing the weapon. Brush grabs the flap release device, as previously cited by Smitty below. I've used the Bianchi M12 flap holster in South America during jungle ops and found it to be an unsecure method of carry when the brush snags it. Also the flap gets in the way of drawing and re-holstering.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Sorry to hear that your COW died. What ever works for you is fine with me. I use fine high quality LEATHER flap holster, and they work fine for me. I have no problems re-holstering the firearm. They all have SNAPS not buckles or latches. Me happy with my system & You happy with your system. Everyone is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    ... Marinehawk, what say you? What pistol do you use with that Bianchi and how is the fit/function? I'm a bit hesitant using a holster model that is made for multiple brands and sizes as I don't think it will be as tight fitting.

Mountaintrekker
    I actually meant to link this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=590866

My G20 SF fits in it like a hand in a glove.

I started using these with M92s in the military, and continued to use them when backpacking because they fit well on the web-belt I use (pictured below--with no holster for obvious reasons), and can be strapped on or removed without removing everythign else on the belt.

Been a few years since I used the Bianchi M12. However, I never had a problem with it sngging open and the buckle/elastic/hook held the flap pretty well. They are built like tanks.
    Also (and why I am looking into getting one) is you can also get a chest harness and an extender (drops holst a few inches lower on belt.
    With these addisitions it makes it a great all-round holster set-up.
    And of course if you don't need the flap and want a quicker draw, the flap can be easily removed and a thumb-break put on.