Thread: 5 Rounds of .500 or 6 Rounds of .454?

Default 5 Rounds of .500 or 6 Rounds of .454?

I have spent a lot of time reading here and thought I would tap into the wisdom on this site to help me resolve my dilemma.

I've been checking out the newest large bore revolvers and I noticed that the S&W X frames have a capacity of 5 rounds while Ruger's Alaskan and the N frame S&W guns have 6 rounds.

For a dangerous game protection carry gun, would you feel more comfortable with five rounds of .500 or .460 S&W or six rounds of .44 Mag, .454 Casull or .480 Ruger?

I know this is one of those personal preference things, just want to get a feel for how everyone else is thinking.

Thanks.

i'll take the six.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default My choice

6 in the .454
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

if using it for bear protection, then you would be lucky to get 2 shots off at the most. So go with something you can draw and fire and HIT with quickly. Size sometimes matters, but its how you use it that really counts! if you are really worried about capacity, carry along a box, just for the excercise alone is good enough.

Most shootouts with 2 legged critters are finished with 3 shots or less also.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default Bear encounters

Very good point. Also, make sure you have some handi-wipes. You'll need 'em................
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

1 can of pepper spray
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up

5 Rounds , Thumpers of course !!!!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

heres a idea, get one of those guns or both, grabbed them from the hip and put a five gallon bucket about 15 feet in front you of and shoot that bugger as many times as you can and as fast..see how good you really are, if you never hit the bucket, buy the cheaper gun...with the cheaper ammo...
    Master guide 212

well if you get 3 shots off you will be lucky, if any of them connect in the right spots...even luckier. personally would go with a 44mag thru 454 as they can be had in a smaller package that you will be more likely to carry. I carry a 45 lc in a taurus titanium 450 it is light to carry and quick to draw giving me a slight advantage of time......the recoil of it prolly limits me to two shots but I am pretty mean with it insde 20 paces....it holds 5

Moral of the story, any big gun will do if you will do.....pracitce practice

Default 6 shooter

A hand gun for bear attacks is an emergency last ditch effort. I would rather have a rifle already in my paws and flick a safety, rather than have to quick draw.

Chances of survival probably ain't real comforting so I would say ask your aires which they prefer (they will be inheriting it)...lol j/k.....make mine a 6 shooter.(prolly a ruger stainless redhawk)

jedi

LOL Jedi, i liked that one!

in all honesty, ya should probably get the one with the highest chamber pressure, and just as he is upon you, ram the barrel into his neck and fire, hopefully the bullet, and the air pressure being released from the end of the barrel will make a fist sized hole into him and stop him from finishing you off.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default 6

At the range you'll need it you probably will only get to fire 2-3 standing up the others will be from the horizontal position. So see how fast you can hit a 5 gallon bucket lid at 15 yds and move it in 5 yards at a time. Control will be the key GUN and BOWEL. Just give me 6 rounds I'll save the last one for me.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

It's a toss up. Most guys who've survived bear attacks say they had no time for more than one or two shots...the bear was just way too fast. If the bear didn't go down, then they were in big trouble. I'd say go with the one that you can fire most accurately for the first 2 rounds, and feels comfortable to you...if the 454, then go with that, if the 500, then that. Either will work. The biggest cannon on earth won't do no good if you don't hittem. To be really safe, bring someone along that runs slower than you...(LOL!)

Marshall

i would take whatever you could shoot best. put 3 rounds in your gun because if the bear is seriouse your not going to get any more. next fill your remaining chambers with some TP because if your fortunate enough to get him you will be needing it.

And if you dont..... you will be needing a lot more than what you have to help you.

All of these postings about pistols are really interesting. Phil Shoemaker on the Acurate Reloading forum says the 357 with 180 grain hard cast work very well at killing a brown bear at close range. He says the bullet will kill very quickly and stop the charge if you hit them in the head. Also, you can actually hit what you are aiming at with a 357. I will have to go with Phil, he has more experience with this type of encounter that all the rest of us put together. It takes a lot of nerve to stand you ground and place that shot. Personnaly, I carry a 480 Ruger, the one shot I am going to get off will hopefully hit in the right spot. At least that is how I train. Jim

Default .500

I carry the .500 S&W with 700 grain lead pills. I have been bluffed charge before without the gun, and everything that is being said about one or two shots is right on the money. The bear closes so fast is crazy.I feel confident that i could pull off two shots on target in a short period of time, i don't think there would be time for a third. I just hope that 1400 grains of lead would be enough to stop the Bruin.

shoemakers got some sense in what he says, a hard cast bullet will get there and kill it...IF you hit it in the head. lots of IFs on a bear charge. if theres only one bear, if your gun ain't stuck in the holser, if you see it coming if your hands are full, if your raincoat is covering you pistol if you hit it if you hit it right if it hits you first blah blah, carry whatever you want in an ideal world the .22 will kill it. in a unideal world none of them will.
    Master guide 212