Thread: 70 pounder

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default 70 pounder

We thought we had a 70 pound king! we were trolling in about 50ft of water when this halibut took our bait!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Dandy fish! I bet that was a fun fight with salmon gear!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Great job! Thanks for the picture. It helps us get through to the next season.

Very nice! Lots of good eating there!

Very nice...

Nice, fish!! I thought I caught a sea monster a few years back. Trolling in 30 ft of water, my line went nuts, ran out about 100 yds and started to surface so I didn't think "Halibut", next thing I know some unknown animal porpoises away from me, it looked about 3 ft across the back. Then I started to think, what the heck do I have? A minute later it surfaced again and I saw what looked like a large white dorsal fin about a foot tall, now I'm really confused. 45 minutes later I got it close to the boat, it was a 250 lb halibut. It saw me and did a marlin style tail walk away from the boat, I've never seen anything like it.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I had the opposite happen one time. I was fishing for butt's out near Pony, and hauled up a 50 pound king from 300 feet of water. I was sitting there, bouncing the bait a bit, and then the line went slack. I reeled in until it barely got tight, set the hook, and the fish went nuts!I thought I had a huge silver on until I got it up close to the boat. The only explanation I have for a king hanging out that deep, was that it followed my bait down and then sat there for a minute or two before chomping on it and heading up the water column.

Great thread!

Kodiakcombo nice fish!
    Hey bud I was thinking when we're fishing the king derby we should get Sarah Palin and her film crew on board so they can film us from the beginning. Embarking on our epic hunt for the hog, the hook up, the fight, and the victorious landing all the way to the winners podium. Whatcha think?

I had a similar thing happen that I mentioned in another thread 80lb but, in 100 feet of water hit the bait about 50 feet down, and went berserk, Still the best fight I have had up here. she was a crazy fish. If I could figure out how to take halibut like that everytime, I would never bottom fish again
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Default The only explanation I have for a king hanging out that deep, was that it followed my

They tagged a hog a few years back in K-town for derby days. A troller had the electronic gear onboard to track it. It hung out at 40 - 50 fathoms quit a bit only coming up for a quick snack.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

There's a method here (hawaii) called "dropping stone"; and involves a 5 gal. bucket of rocks.
    We usually don't use that many in one trip, but always helps to have a backup if the bite is on!
    It's great for getting chum/bait down deep without being permanently attached to a sinker; you find a 2 to 4 lb. kinda smooth river rock and wrap your leader around it 6 or so times, with each wrap cinching down on chum or cut bait.
    The idea is to wrap from the hook (baited) backwards towards the swivel in a way that won't tangle upon releasing the rock.
    You free-fall the whole package down to where you want it (bottom or somewhere if you're marking fish on the finder), then jerk the line hard, which lets the rock fall to the bottom and you then have the chum & baited hook where you want it without a weight attached.
    This requires some boat handling at the same time as you need to reverse slowly against current so the line you're paying out goes down vertically. Sounds involved I know, but I've seen this pull up NICE fish when they're not on the surface or being picky about the presentation. Drawback is it's only good for a short time as the line will eventually end up back towards the surface, but you usually don't need much time if fish are around.
    Jim

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    There's a method here (hawaii) called "dropping stone"; and involves a 5 gal. bucket of rocks.
    We usually don't use that many in one trip, but always helps to have a backup if the bite is on!
    It's great for getting chum/bait down deep without being permanently attached to a sinker; you find a 2 to 4 lb. kinda smooth river rock and wrap your leader around it 6 or so times, with each wrap cinching down on chum or cut bait.
    The idea is to wrap from the hook (baited) backwards towards the swivel in a way that won't tangle upon releasing the rock.
    You free-fall the whole package down to where you want it (bottom or somewhere if you're marking fish on the finder), then jerk the line hard, which lets the rock fall to the bottom and you then have the chum & baited hook where you want it without a weight attached.
    This requires some boat handling at the same time as you need to reverse slowly against current so the line you're paying out goes down vertically. Sounds involved I know, but I've seen this pull up NICE fish when they're not on the surface or being picky about the presentation. Drawback is it's only good for a short time as the line will eventually end up back towards the surface, but you usually don't need much time if fish are around.
    Jim
    Jim,

What kind of fish do you catch in Hawaii with that technique?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    the victorious landing all the way to the winners podium. Whatcha think?
    Catching some fish in March is always good, winning a derby is livin the dream!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

One January I was looking for cod as hanging bait, I made a drop with a B2 triple glow jig and hooked up with a 40 pound king! I saw what I thought was a school of cod on the bottom which was 135 feet. The rod went nuts and I thought I hooked a chicken halibut and was surprized to see this nice king hooked to my jig! We trolled at 135 feet the next day and hookeed several kings.
    www.kodiakcombos.com