Thread: 800 RMK "thinks" it's overheating

Default 800 RMK "thinks" it's overheating

Iíve got a 01 RMK 800. On the last ride last season the temp light came on and the engine started running rough. I figured this was due to the fact that it was a beautiful 50 degree sunny day in the Alaska range (I donít have scratchers). I managed back to truck, stopping as necessary to cool down and packing snow on the running boards to cool things down.

The next evening at home after work I went to unload the sleds and park them in their summer spot. Right off the bat the temp light came on and the engine barely ran. The thing was stone cold so I know it was not really over heating. Anyway, I got it into its summer spot with the intention of looking at it before now.

Well, it is now and yesterday I started it up to move it. Same problem. Sitting all summer didnít seem to magically cure the problem.

Any suggestions on what to look for first? It has coolant. Could the temp sensor be the problem? I unplugged it while the engine was running (mostly cause it was easy enough to do) but that didnít make any difference.

Rick

I don't remember my '03 RMK having a limp mode when the temp light came on. Running rough would be my first thing to chase.

The Edge sleds do have a limp mode and the 800s especially are known for touchy temp sensors.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Change your water pump belt.
    Could be broke or stretched out.
    Mine was stretched out and running hotter.
    May have a gasket gone bad on the cylinder or head.

Check the temp sensor itself, they are prone to failure. Symptoms are exactly as you describe.

Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be the temp sensor. Specs are 2432 ohms at 68F and 192 ohms at 212F. Mine has infinite resistance at both temps. Looks like it's off to the dealer tomorrow to get a new one.

On a safety note, Wear safety glasses and open the cap to release the pressure - always. I was in a hurry and the engine was totally cold; when I unscrewed the sensor I got a face full of anti-freeze. Got it all washed out of my eyes, but stopping for a second to think and always wearing glasses when you mess with anything isn't a bad way to go.

Good advice, glad your ok. Let us know the outcome, if that was the problem. Good luck.

Yes, that was the problem. A new $23 sensor and she fired right up and I rode it up and back to the end our road. I paid more for the gallon of oil I picked up while I was there.

Next, I just need to figure out why it is smoking so bad now. Seems to run fine but it is pumping out a lot of smoke.

Give it some time to clean it's self out after sitting all summer and having been run in limp mode.

It could be oil pump adjustment, or failure. Those pumps fail open.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    It could be oil pump adjustment, or failure. Those pumps fail open.
    No, fortunately it seems to be what Dupont said. I rode it around so more and it has definitely settled down on the smoke generation. I guess a fair bit of oil ended up in the exhaust pipe while limping around. I expected some extra smoke in the beginning but it lasted longer than I thought it would.

Good. Easy fix, cost no money, that's what this forum is all about.