Thread: yet another bear gun thread-what sights do you like?

Default yet another bear gun thread-what sights do you like?

My standard going fishing on a river with lots of bears but I really don't want to shoot one gun is a old[60s]M37 Ithaca deerslayer 12 gage with 20 inch Cly barrel.[I could have made that sentence longer but I ran out of breath].
    I am using the original open sights but my 50 year old eyes don't like them.
    The top of the receiver is drilled and taped for Weaver mounts.Expected range just off the muzzle to 40yards
    Would you:
    A.-install a low or no power scope
    B.- install a lighted dot type optical sight [like a aimpoint]
    C.- install a receiver mounted peep.
    I am pretty confident in my rapid target acquisition with a scope as I have used them exclusively since I was 14, but I hate to mess up the easy carrying of a scopeless receiver.
    Possibly a long eye relief scout type scope on the barrel?

I would go with C. Looked one on a 45-70, wow! Just like bow hunting. Keep it all in focus and lots better than the factory leaf in rear. On the .375 ruger it has a express sight on the rear, slight V to it. I like that too, no 3 dots to line up, drop beed into the V and fire. I was good to 100 yards like right from the factory, I was aiming high since it is set for 50 yards, but nailed the bullseye 2 or 3 times, all I had shot total at that range. For self defense I wouldn't want to rely on a scope when the gun will be getting bumped around a lot. Again, I vote C!

Peep with a big hole. All my gun wear peeps and I use different hole size for the intended purpose of the gun. The aim points are neat but sure add bulk or something for thinks to hang up on.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

No sights as it does not hurt as much when you have to pull it out. Sorry,could not resist.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I am kind of leaning to the receiver peep[I like the way they look, for one thing], but that may require a E bay search. Lyman does not list one for any shotgun.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I
    Thanks, I completely forgot about Williams. Good price to.

I use both NECG front and rear, too I like either Redfield 70's or Lyman 48's. fronts consists with a f/o or a white bead. I USE both bolt guns or levers. I have always figured shotguns were for birds...sorry.

Personally, on my "go-to" rafting, bear protection gun i use a IZMASH Saiga AK 12 gauge with HK sights. The AMMO CAN in Anch put her together. Easy to see through with my 60 yr old eyes. For my back up bear guiding gun, back in the day-- my favorite sights are williams "buck-horn", on mod. 70, .458 with the old 600 grain BARNES. Also keep a GLOCK 36 close too.
    Just what works for me-
    Goo

On my 1895G I have williams f/o front and skinner ghost/aperture on receiver. Played with a scout scope but found acquisition was slowed. Waiting for the mailman to bring my Trijicon RMR (na batteries holographic red-dot) and going to try that. Love red-dots and the trijis are built like tanks. If I like it (hope I do for the $$) then I may add a magnifier with QR mounts for hunting.