Thread: Snare sizes

Default Snare sizes

Okay, i am very green and still learning. Have a few months until I can set traps anyway, so I am learning and scouting all I can, as well as stocking up on traps, until i can set them out.

Bought a few the other day and saw some snares in the store. Wondering what size snares to use for the following animals, and if any of them are basically impossible for snares - I am thinking fox will be trap or hunt only??

(feel free to copy and paste the list with sizes and/or best traps)

Wolf:

Coyote:

Fox:

Beaver:

Marten:

Lynx:

Wolverine:

Supporting Member

Exporer,
    I use 1x19 cable in the following sizes: Wolf/Wolverine - 3/32, Beaver - 5/64 and for Coyote, Fox, Lynx, Marten - 1/16
    Have never personally snared marten, but a friend of mine has and it can be done. Anchor wolf and wolverine with #9 wire and the rest with #11 or #12 (whichever is available). Anchor your snare support wire as high (at least 4') as possible to reduce chew outs.
    Good luck!
    Rick

Thanks, Rick. I hear ya on the marten - I plan on using mostly 120 coni's for them, but thought I might set a few snares just to see. I will mostly be snaring wolf/coyote/fox/beaver. Thanks again.

Supporting Member

Explorer,
    Remember when using the body-grippers to always carry spares with you to change out when you make a catch. Most times, your catch will be frozen in the body-grippers and you may damage the fur if you try to remove them before thawing your catch. See you at the AFTA meeting Tuesday night.

Thanks, Spike...will do. C you then.