Thread: One exspensive Haul rd hunt!

Angry One exspensive Haul rd hunt!

I recently had repairs done at a napa care repair shop on ****** in anchorage before my hunt and I have had a bad excperiance there, anyone that needs repairs to their hunting vehical may want consider this! IMO. made my bou and moose meat run a whole lot higher per pound for 2010, spent 6k on repairs, $3500 of it to repair the repairs. this has to be the most exspensive haul rd hunt in history, just be sure when you go everything is ready for a heck of a beating and bring a few spares! dont end up with a list like mine(rear diff, 3 brake repairs, serp belt,tension bar,power steering pump, heating hose, backing plate) and your hunt wont run be so costly, at least we ended up with a few bou, and a moose to fill the ice box!
    Last edited by LuJon; 10-31-2010 at 23:25. Reason: Removed business info per forum rules

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Rotten Luck.

Did you get stuck up there, far from civilization?

That's what always concerns me. I've got pretty good vehicles now, but in the past, I've traveled the Denali Highway, with some that weren't so great.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sounds like time for a upgrade we went up 1st week of October and we had no issues. We didn't have 10 spare tires, 2 serpintine belts, a spare engine etc.... Sometimes I wonder all I heard you need this and that we took the basics and had a great trip.

Mr. Montana...Seriously, what were your vehicle problems, and what caused them?
    Was the prior vehicle maintenance the problem? Or just bad luck? Which can happen.
    ....heck of a beating"...."be prepared and bring a few spares (tires)"...
    How fast were you driving? How was your vehicle beat up, other than needing a super terrific wash job to get all the mud off your entire vehicle. (Next summer the underside will still harbor mud.) I have done the haul Road a few times without -knock on wood (my head?) - any concerns. Perhaps I'm been just lucky so far. Not really any different than driving any other dirt road anywhere on earth, and better than 90+ percent. No, the haul Road is better than 99 percent of the back country, dirt, roads I have traveled.
    Please do, objectively, tell?
    dennis

Other than the road chewing threw tires never have had any other problems with the vehicles up there. Did you ask to see the parts that were taken off the vehicle? When I used to work at a dealership where we did repairs we often showed the customers their old parts and why they were bad. With that many problems either that is just really bad luck or you were taken.

IMO a lot of people drive the haul road way too fast. It tears the heck out of your tires and is hard on your vehicle. Even pulling a boat up, I've never had so much as a chip in my windshield. If I see a truck behind or ahead of me, I pull over and give them room. It's good to keep them happy! We stopped to help some kids from Anchorage one time. They had been driving all night and the tongue on their boat trailer was actually bent in the middle clear to the ground. It was incredible! This was on one of the paved sections and I can't imagine how fast they must have hit the pot hole that caused their trouble. We couldn't help and headed on our way North. We took our time as always and stopped at Coldfoot for a hot meal. By the time we got to the Sag. and were launching our boat, the boys from Anchorage showed up. A state guy had stopped to help them and had a press and welder to fix the tongue. We were happy for them but more than a little amazed that they had made it in one piece. In my opinion, people need to just slow down. It might put you a few hours behind but the caribou will still be there, or not, when you get there.

There must be a more extensive list than what is posted. I just don't see 3500 in that list much less over 6K...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There must be a more extensive list than what is posted. I just don't see 3500 in that list much less over 6K...
    oh i do at 85-100 an hour labor... and the read diff alone is nearl 2k of it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    oh i do at 85-100 an hour labor... and the read diff alone is nearl 2k of it.
    Hmmm, guess that's why I do all of that stuff myself... For 6K I could have put in an aftermarket Dana axel, Brembo or Bear brakes, aftermarket radiator and hoses, New pwr steering pump and probably had enough left over to add a hydraulic winch and bumper or at least a set of lightforce lights...

I love those shops that charge "shop rate" for each repair individually. Sure it takes 2 hours to change a pwr steering pump or 1 to change a serp belt or 2 to change a belt tensioner. So charging for each job individually at shop rate would be 5 hours work. Of course those who do work know that you have to take the serp belt off to pull the pwr steering pump or tensioner anyway so they are charging you 3 times to change the serp belt!

guys, it was a lot of bad luck and yes I did get taken , I was bent over a ... well you get it!! LOL this was my 4 time on the haul but the first with problems, never even had a flat! I had repairs done before I went up and everything they touched fell apart or wore another part out, the pinion was tighted to tight and the rear diff went out, the belt was replaced and the tention bar came off, the brakes were done and they came apart twice. I would have never spent that much if it was done right the first time, but it wasnt, so I had to have everything fixed or additional stuff repaired due to the stuff I had done in the first place. I cant say I was going to fast either to make stuff fall apart, because you do have to watch out for those trucks and pull off and give em space, respecting the truckers will get you far on the haul road and dont forget the pics we stop alot. everything went well going up it was the return that got me and I made it from the yukon to fairbanks with one loud rear diff, I guess just make sure your vehical is done by a certified tech if you take it in anywere, or do it yourself so you know without a doubt.

WOW sounds like a miserable trip, I have been going up there since 99 often 4 times a year, and (KNOCK ON WOOD) never had any issues 1 flat tire that I got on the way home and it actually went flat the next day in my driveway. I had a fuel pump go out but i just switched to my rear tank, I feel for you though my rear tire locked up comming back from Chicken, I thought it was my brakes took it to midus in fairbanks and they said it was the bearing, well they fixed it so the next day I went Bou hunting up the steese and at mile 124 it locked up again, long story short Midus paid for the tow repaired my truck that day and I got a great appology from the manager a discount on my next brake job.
    At least you were successful and nobody got hurt.

Sorry you had so many problems. One thing to think about whenever planning for a trip like this is to do all your major maintenance a couple weeks before you leave then put some miles on the vehicle locally. Not saying it would have solved anything in your case but as a general rule most major systems follow a "bathtub" pattern if you were to graph out failures over time. There is a significant failure rate right out the gate followed by a substantial level period where every thing just works before stuff starts wearing out and failing.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    this has to be the most exspensive haul rd hunt in history,
    No it is not. The "Tundra Trucks" hunt was probably the most expensive haul road hunt of all time. To spend more than that would require someone cashing all their chips for a head stone.

Sounds like an awful trip. Better luck next time for sure.

As a side tip, however, the haul road is probably not a terrible trip to break in new tires, maybe a new power steering pump, or something similar. Breaking in a new rear end, engine, transmission, or other major repair on the haul road - probably not the best idea.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.