Thread: Nautilus reels

Default Nautilus reels

Any use 'em? Was looking at them the other day at WWA. Seem to get pretty good reviews, thinking about picking one up.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I have the FW 3+, 5+, and 7+, as well as a CCF 8, an NV 5/6 and an NV Giga8.

The NV is the best reel in its class - bombproof, dummy-proof, smooth, light...all around awesome. I have fished the hell out of them, rode 'em hard and put it away wet, and no problems whatsoever.

I own 2 CCF 12's for my spey rods and I think they are the best reel in the under $550 price range. Very smooth start up, TRUE totally sealed drag and they handle extreme cold better than any other reels I've owned. I like Solitude in the under $250 range and Jack Charlton/Mako for the $1000 price point, but Nautilus are great reels at any price. I love Nautilus, but don't think you need to spend $500 to get a good reel. There are at least a half dozen good reels out there under $200!

Right on, from what I've been reading, I'd pretty much already decided to but one. Just wanted some unbiased opinions. Thanks fellas

Hey Raptor,

Madison River Fishing Company has the Featherweights on clearance. It's always nice to shop local though.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Wonderer View Post
    Hey Raptor,

Madison River Fishing Company has the Featherweights on clearance. It's always nice to shop local though.
    Thanks man, I'll check it out. Not buying till spring though. Leaving AK for a few months so won't be doing a whole lot of fishing till then. It going on a 6wt legend elite though.

raptor1:

the drag on the current FW's are very weak and IMO utter junk. also, when you take the spool off, you will figure out that the spindle bearing on the spool is plastic, and it has these three grooves that have to be perfectly aligned or it won't lock in. Also, the drag doesn't engage until about the second turn of the drag knob. And then, it takes about 3 turns to tighten up to maximum, which is about 1/3 the max drag strength of similar wt reels, like the Ross LT.

people buy this reel (the FW) due to its extremely light weight and high arbor ratio, and, at least for me - the reel drag doesn't loosen up so much that it backlashes. Much better in this last respect than the orvis, for example. Anyway, that's why I bought it.

I would not recommend the FW for anything above a 4wt rod. The reason they are on clearance is bcz nautilus has come out with another model, which is even lighter. The new version may have overcome some of the issues with the FW, then again, it may not have. We'll see. In the mean time, Sage has a new sealed drag wide arbor that is similar, and that one, supposedly - has a one revolution drag knob - it is in the same price range (or less) than the FW. Check out the new Sage and the Ross LT if you are all into light weight.

The orvis's (BLA) are cheap, but then, they are a cheap, loosely fitting, design (alot of slop); the lettering is not even anodized on their anodized reels. Like they wrote it on with a felt tip pen.

I appreciate the info, but I think I'm gonna gamble and buy one. They get nothing but good reviews on the internet

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I appreciate the info, but I think I'm gonna gamble and buy one. They get nothing but good reviews on the internet
    That's not true either, go search washingtonflyfishing.com's forum for nautiluls reels and you'll see similar comments to mine. FYI, just in case you think you can adjust the drag - nay - you can't, it is sealed, put together with tools you don't have, there are no instructions to do so, and if you touch it you void the warranty anyhoo; you'll have to send it back the factory (with $20) if you don't like the drag. From what I understand from people who did, it is slightly better, but not much. And there won't be jack sheet you will be able to do about that funky spindle fit....that's just the way they are made. I would go nutz if I had to remove that spool more than once a month.

The reel does have advantages, and I did buy one for them, mainly the high arbor ratio, a higher backing capacity (for the FW+), and the lack of backlash. But not for the drag . It is a very lightweight reel hence the "featherweight" series name.

I was talking about the NV series. I think I'm going with one of those.

R1:
    I literally melted down a Sage 8 weight after only a day of hard fishing but went with NV 8/9 two seasons ago. Still running hard after two hard seasons with zero maint.

How about the CCF specifically, anyone have experience with / opinions on them? Was thinking of picking up a 10 for kings and some saltwater fun Outside...

Dinker,
    you can't go wrong with the CCF or the NV. They are the go to reel for tarpon and one of my favorites for all species of salmon. Solid structural engineering, smooth drag and a true water proof drag system. Five stars!