Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dumb question I suppose

  1. #1
    Member sameyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default Dumb question I suppose

    But how do these "rep" points work. I've searched and cannot find any reference to them. Have had some folks "rep" me and I have no idea how to do it or if you are suppose to respond, blah, blah. Thanks, Steve

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    you can check your "rep" points by clicking on the notification tab at the very top of your screen. To give rep you hit the little star in the lower left corner of a post. It will open a dialog box where you can leave a note like "Great post" or "Thanks!". People usually leave their name as well so the receiver will know who sent it. After many years of quality posts you will end up with a bunch of little green boxes next to your name.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    But how do these "rep" points work. I've searched and cannot find any reference to them. Have had some folks "rep" me and I have no idea how to do it or if you are suppose to respond, blah, blah. Thanks, Steve
    Go to the lower left of that particular post that you like, and right next to the "!" in the triangle button you'll see a 6 pointed star button. Press it. Optionally type in a comment and also optionally a "from" username. Press the submit button. Done

  4. #4
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Geez, I just learned something from this ,"not so dumb question"
    Sending rep to sameyer for the thread, I didn't see any "from" area and am realizing I never say who I am sending rep pts,

    as I get something that says who it is from on my notifications page,

    So, is it something that basic members don't get, a "Who it is from" on their rep pts? I was thinking it was something that started with the upgrade maybe, that everyone now knows who sent them rep
    Not everybody tho?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default u got it

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Not everybody tho?
    Correct. Only "supporting members" and "premium members" get to see who rep'd them.

    All members get to see the comment attached to the rep.

    So the moral here is, when you're rep'ing a "member" consider adding a a "from memberx" addition to the rep comment (or not; your choice), and if you're rep'ing a supporting or premium member, such a comment is a waste of space.

  6. #6
    Member sameyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Kenai, Alaska
    Posts
    269

    Default

    THanks for all of your replies.

  7. #7
    Member Burke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    735

    Default

    Well, Heck! Great question. I just learned something. I had no clue about Rep points.

    Is it one rep point per comment from each member who shares? so 10 rep points = 10 members rep'ing?

    I will now pay attention and share those rep points because there are some great posts here and great posters.

    While I am learning, what defines a supporting and premium member?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Why can we not give negative rep here? Several other forums Ive seen offer that.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outnaboutnak View Post
    Why can we not give negative rep here? Several other forums Ive seen offer that.
    It is possible. Just gotta be a mod to do it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •