Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a temp shelter to cover Cub fuselage

Default Need a temp shelter to cover Cub fuselage

I am going to pull the wings off my Cub and work on it up next to my house. I need one of the Quonset hut type shelters made of fabric stretched over a metal frame. About 12 wide x 28 long should do. A cub is about 23 feet long.

Anyone know where the heck I can buy one..?? I see them around but nobody around here seems to know where to get one...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

check AIH. I don't know what sizes they have, I picked up a 12x20 for my boat from them and it works pretty well. I am on year 2 with it, just MAKE SURE you have something to block the wind off of it. I put mine up next to my shed and it has survived some pretty nasty wind storms. The last thing you want is it coming apart and the frame stabbing holes in your bird! You may also be a little late as I assume the ground is already frozen which makes it pretty hard to anchor. You may have some luck driving spikes in and then pouring water around the base of it to freeze the darn thing in.

good luck!

The good ones are Weather Ports. The local dealer in ANC has removed his stuff from his lot. Maybe he moved? Don't expect them to be cheap. Especially one that's long enough to do a Cub. Some 2x4s and a roll of reinforced visqueen would do the job for a lot less money. You may want to rent an LP heater and a big propane tank to keep it warm and not stink up the neighborhood with diesel fumes. Contractors tent and heat with that method all the time. It works.

I saw them at Sam's Club in Fairbanks 12x20x8 1/2 for $477.00

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Steve
    and they shed the snow well as they are round tops.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post

Steve

I've seen them at Sam's Club and Costco in Anchorage. This was last year.

I also found some at AIH, but they only have 3 sizes in stock, and CLAIM that they only order from the company (Shelter Logic ) once a year.....
    They have two that are 20 feet long with a 13wx20Lx12H going for $534.. Or they have a huge one that is 44 feet long for 2,190 bucks...

I just got off the phone with the company that makes them,,,, They had a 12 x 28 x 10 in semi clear for $899.... BUT GET THIS... the shipping was $920 as the package weighs almost 500 pounds and it sits on a pallet...

For that amount you could rent a corner of a hanger for a couple months and do work with consistent heat and electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    For that amount you could rent a corner of a hanger for a couple months and do work with consistent heat and electricity.
    x2

Even if it was double I'd rent the hangar.

Alaska Tent & Tarp

Hey FP.

Remember, if the women don't find ya handsome then they better find ya handy Ha!

With handy in mind - I just got thru bldg a 8' x 16' storage shed out back. Point is, getting some 2x4s, some osb and a nail gun and you cld have one up in no time. Cld make it permanent or temporary. Permanent a little more measuring and planning. Temporary you just remove the materials and use them on your next project.

PID is right abt the visqueen and contractors. When it gets frog-freezing cold they even use some sort of tarp/cancas. Still ya gotta build a frame for that to.

I thght I saw some on line at craigslist and alaskalist. I just looked and saw this; 2- 10'x20' for $350/each. One in ANC and one in FB.

http://alaskaslist.com/?cityid=1&lan...n=&pricemax=&x

Look under Buildings Sheds

Guess it boils down to how fast ya need to get 'er done.

Rick

There lies the rub...Here in Homer, you pay $300 a month for a un-heated and often un-lighted, hanger space that you share with as many other planes as possible. So you cannot leave your tools laying around since they will be moved the next day.. In fact your plane and parts are often moved around as well. Space in a heated hanger goes for $500 a month and up,, if you can find it... and you may not be able to do any serious work depending on who you make the deal with... I had one guy a couple years ago who would rent me a space in his hanger, but I was not even allowed to visit my plane unless he was in town to supervise..

There are some long term lease heated hangers for $900 a month plus,,, for a one plane stall... but the owner wants a minimum one-year lease.

I run into the same problem every year.. So I end up back outside for much of the winter...Next to the ocean and the salt air... which is why my Cub now needs so many repairs... Well actually the volcano dust did a lot of the damage when mixed with salt air..

Temp hangar space was $100 per day last time I needed some. I was really lucky to get it, too.

Back when I had a real job I could afford it... Now that I am involved in aviation full time I am not so well-off... Hmm,, I think I see a pattern here..

Quote Originally Posted by AKDREAMER View Post
    I've seen them at Sam's Club and Costco in Anchorage. This was last year.
    I bought two of those shelters at Sams and found out they aren't all created equal.The first one I got is white. I had the wings for my Aeronca Sedan under that shelter for a number of years when we were in North Pole. There were a couple of times I let more snow accumulate on it than I should have and never had a problem. We moved up to the Chena ridge area and I bought a second shelter from Sams. The new one is brown and I noticed the tubes are a little smaller in diameter than the white shelter. I put the wings under the new shelter and kept the old one for storing other stuff. We had a pretty good dump and I didn't get up to sweep the shelters off quite in time. The white one was fine, but the tubes for the brown one had buckled. Luckily, it didn't collapse enough to damage the wings.

Point being, don't let any snow load get on those things at all if you can help it...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I bought two of those shelters at Sams and found out they aren't all created equal.The first one I got is white. I had the wings for my Aeronca Sedan under that shelter for a number of years when we were in North Pole. There were a couple of times I let more snow accumulate on it than I should have and never had a problem. We moved up to the Chena ridge area and I bought a second shelter from Sams. The new one is brown and I noticed the tubes are a little smaller in diameter than the white shelter. I put the wings under the new shelter and kept the old one for storing other stuff. We had a pretty good dump and I didn't get up to sweep the shelters off quite in time. The white one was fine, but the tubes for the brown one had buckled. Luckily, it didn't collapse enough to damage the wings.

Point being, don't let any snow load get on those things at all if you can help it...Louis
    I am guessing your experience is with the ~240.00 models with peaked roofs?

the one stid mentions is a Quonset style with the round roof. i have one in my yard and never have had to do any snow removal..

also if your tie your peaks together with a line, end to end.. and run line through the peak lines post to post it will hold together much better on the peaked roof ones... in short lace the entire thing together.so that it pulls on the entire frame rather then sections of it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

HEY FP you got me stinking..

If you can, maybe build a rectangular enclosure with the long axis next to the house. A door that swings up in the middle. Make it deep/wide enough to cover the wings and cabin. So you enter it with the plane perpendicular to the house and rear fuselage and tail outside. If your strapped, it wld be cheaper then a full hanger and one wall of the structure is already built.

Just a thought.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I am guessing your experience is with the ~240.00 models with peaked roofs?

the one stid mentions is a Quonset style with the round roof. i have one in my yard and never have had to do any snow removal..

also if your tie your peaks together with a line, end to end.. and run line through the peak lines post to post it will hold together much better on the peaked roof ones... in short lace the entire thing together.so that it pulls on the entire frame rather then sections of it.
    Thanks. The lacing you describe sounds like a good idea. Yes, I did buy the peaked roof tents. I should have got the quonset roof type, but I don't remember seeing it at Sam's when I picked up the other one. I'll have to check it out, it would probably be a good investment if I have airplane parts setting out another winter...Louis
    Louis Knapp

FP, I have a 14x14x40 in Seldovia, its the rounded roof style. I put it up around 04 and h ad it cave in from ice 2008. I replaced the frame in the spring. So I have about 4000.00 in it in, thats the cost of a shelter building in Seldovia. The best part is having a building there is priceless.
    Now on the bright side, if you can use a hanger in Seldovia, Clair at Smokey Bay owns one in Seldovia ans rents space for around 225/mo. Its a gravel floor no heat and there is electric. Good luck, if I can help with anything PM me. Tom

Well these folk renting hanger space are milking the market. I saw one near Palmer for $250/month. I started asking questions and they started putting all kinds of conditions on it. Hell I'll build one myself rather then submit to that sort of hegemony.

Just my 2-cents worth.

RR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast