Thread: Backcountry Snowboarding

Default Backcountry Snowboarding

I finally feel that I am ready to start taking my boarding away from Alyeska and want to start tackling some backcountry spots. I have been talking with people who spend a lot of time in and around the Chugach, but all of them are skiers. What are peoples methods for snowboarding in the back country? What I am really wondering is how to people approach getting up the mountain when they board? Do most have a split board and ski up? Snowshoe up and board down? Or do some simply tough it and hike up in boots? If anyone is a boarder or knows how the best way to get started is I am all ears.

Let it snow!

I am a skier but i have go out with boarders a lot and i have seen people use all kinds of methods, the cheapest and easiest to start is snowshoes since they fit a board boot easily and will start to give you an idea of what the backcountry is all about, my girlfriend uses them and has no problem keeping up. Really when breaking trail there isn't a huge difference in speed, but snow shoes do start to fall behind on well worn tracks, you would have to talk to boarders about the performance of split boards down hill but they seem to work great as an approach ski and climbing platform. The best advice i can think to give is try and think about who if anyone you will be with and see what would allow you to match their speed best or what pace is best for you.

All the guys I ride with are snowboarders too. Those guys on snowshoes are generally about the same speed as me going up on skins. I'd get snowshoes & see if it's for you before investing hundreds in a splitboard setup.

I Use snowmachine...