Thread: 1999 Polaris Transport weight info

Default 1999 Polaris Transport weight info

Anyone know how much a 1999 Polaris Transport snowmachine weighs? I just bought a used one in great condition and I need to find out how much it weighs so I can get an estimate on how much it would cost to ship it out on one of the freight airlines. Tried looking up spec info online and found a few sites but for some reason the weight info was left out. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

I've shipped a couple of fan cooled Polaris sleds on NAC. One was a short track Pro X and the other an Edge Touring. Both weighed near 600# with nearly empty fuel and oil tanks. That TranSport should be in the 575-600# neighborhood.

Thanks Mr. Pid, Found the info I was looking for. I used to own one of these sleds back in 99. Used it for 5 years then sold it to my cousin. After a lot of searching over the last couple of days I found the old Operator's Manual, 4 page supplement had the specs. The dry weight for the Transport is listed @ 477lbs. Nothing like a good ol' 440 fan-cooled engine, especially when I am paying $5.72/gal for gas and $7.47/qt for 2-cycle oil.

I know what the brochures said about mine, too. Let us know what yours scales at.

Snowmachine was delivered to one of the airlines that flys freight out to the bush, spec sheet listed the weight of the sled at 477 lbs, when the carrier weighed it the 2nd time around it weighted in at 558 lbs. First time they weighted it they tried to include the weight of the pallet that they put it on. But my soninlaw questioned that and they removed it. Gets kinda expensive when you are paying 0.98/lb. When I talked to their office staff I had them double check the weight, since there was an 81 lb difference between the specs and their listed weight on the airway bill. Makes me kinda wonder when their scales were last calibrated. Anyone know if airline are required to calibrate their weight scales and how often this is required to be done? Now I am wondering if this is a recurring problem for folks shipping freight out to the bush.

Is this the correct State office to report concerns too when a paying customer thinks the weight scales used by airlines are not giving accurate reading on his freight and are needing to be recalibrated?

http://dot.alaska.gov/mscve/main.cfm?go=wm

I'm not surprised. I tried to tell you.

It doesn't really matter. Sleds weigh what they weigh.

They get inspected once a yr if i remember right.
    Faa has been looking at all the airlines for awhile on weight/balance.
    Remember the sled makers fudge the weight too try and be lighter than each other.

Think the airline freight scales should be inspected more than once a year. Do the calibrators put a inspection sticker on the scales that show they have been calibrated and certified by the State for that year?
    I woulda got taken for more of my hard earned money if my soninlaw didn't question the weight of the pallet used to lift the sled on the scale. That kinda got me concerned to the point to make me wanna question the accuracy of their scales. Doesn't look good for them when they are pulling this kinda stuff on their paying customers.

Just fyi, My father and sister work at NAC, And they get their scales checked twice a year.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Just fyi, My father and sister work at NAC, And they get their scales checked twice a year.
    Thanks for providing that information about NACs weight scales being checked twice a year. Anyone know if Alaska Central Express and Everts Air Cargo do the same? Thanks in advance.

Don't know but will ask around.

All the cargo companys do the same weight scale checks... Although my dad said when they have doubt, They have them checked every 3 months. But with the cargo checks its much differiant LOL. A checks every sunday.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Lake creek fishermen, could you ask your dad if air freight companies usually allow customers to look at their weight scale inspection records to make sure the scales have been calibrated within the past year before agreeing to use their services. Thanks in advance.

My sister said they get checked alot for scales.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Most of the commercial scales I dealt with they have the latest cal sticker on the control box. A good trick is to know your own weight and innocently step on the scale if possible. That said, odds are that your sled is just fatter than what the manufacturer claims.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Snowmachine was delivered to one of the airlines that flys freight out to the bush, spec sheet listed the weight of the sled at 477 lbs, when the carrier weighed it the 2nd time around it weighted in at 558 lbs. First time they weighted it they tried to include the weight of the pallet that they put it on. But my soninlaw questioned that and they removed it. Gets kinda expensive when you are paying 0.98/lb. When I talked to their office staff I had them double check the weight, since there was an 81 lb difference between the specs and their listed weight on the airway bill. Makes me kinda wonder when their scales were last calibrated. Anyone know if airline are required to calibrate their weight scales and how often this is required to be done? Now I am wondering if this is a recurring problem for folks shipping freight out to the bush.
    factory specs do not include any oil in the system, two stroke/resivor/engine and crank case deposits, chain case, fuel in tanks.. resdue build up in the exhust, or sand gravel in the belly pan. does not include, tool kit, spare belts or plugs, or any additional accessory
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Lake creek fishermen, so airline freight companies do allow customers to review their weight scale inspection records to see if the scales are calibrated, that is good to know.

LuJon, better yet the folk from the AK DOTPF MS/CVE should just do unannounced random inspections to make sure airline freight scales are reading accurately, then publish their reports and finding annually, semi-annually or quarterly on their website for all consumers to read.

Vince, 81 lb difference between out of the factory weight to shipping weight to the bush is a lot of belt, plugs, chaincase oil, oil in the reservoir, gravel in the tub, deposits in the crankcase and residuals in the muffler, etc, etc. Just seems a lil overweight to me. I may be wrong but guess we all as consumers have a right to question the details in any transaction, especially when it comes outta our wallets.

Try sending the 81 pound bill to polaris and see what they say. NEVER have seen a machine weigh what the manufacturer advertises. That is why the magazines like to weigh them when they hit the snow.