Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Easy and cheap work bench

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default Easy and cheap work bench

    We purchased a house in January with a garage, I was so excited. It had been since 02 that I had not had a shop to play. This new garage was ownd by a widow so had no man cave stuff at all. I have been equiping it slowly via craigs list, garage sales and thrift shops. When I saw this all wood dinning table with good legs I knew I had my work bench. The first photo was after I ripped the table down then decided to document this for this thread. The Shopsmith in the back is what I used and is for sell (shamless, I know).
    1Benchproject.jpg

    I then screwed a 2x4 to the wall and the height of the underside of the table top and had to cut back the 1x4 under the table enough to slide up to the wall over the 2x4. Because I can only post two images I didn't post the 2x4 on the wall but I hope you can invision it. Here is the end product and it may be narrow for most but it is just for smallish projects and a place to work on stuff. Hope you like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Don't know why the second image showed up like this, I did the same as the first. Oh well!

    George

  3. #3
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Looks good, good enough to use that idea in a kitchen or something.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  4. #4
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Good idea George! I'd never thought of buying an old wood table and splitting it like that!

    I just built a 30x40 shop/garage and that idea may come in quite handy!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Good idea and good job. Not for me though. That window glass is way too close for comfort. I tend to get wound up pretty tight, when I have a hammer in my hand.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6

    Default

    Thats using your head for something other than a hat rack George!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

  7. #7
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    That window glass is way too close for comfort. I tend to get wound up pretty tight, when I have a hammer in my hand.
    I saw that too. I was thinking I would be enjoying the view when I should be watching what I was doing and something would smack the glass.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Nice job
    Its like having the window over the kitchen sink you can set your beer up there and its out of the way

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default

    I have limited space and didn't want the lathe in front of the window. In my mind things fly off my truning projects caused more concerns as I am a neophite on turning. Maybe a plexi barrier to keep the natural light and save the glass...

    Thanks for the kind responces, now for some storage shelves under it.

    George

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •