Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got agood one - What's your comfort zone on a bear charge?

Smile I got agood one - What's your comfort zone on a bear charge?

What's your comfort zone on a bear charge?
    When do you start shooting?
    I use 20 feet as my rule for a charge, but will give em to 10 feet and then I'm opening fire.
    Why 10 to 20 you say? At 20 feet I'm ready to deal (I hope)
    At 20 feet I'll look in his eyes and watch his actions as to bluff or not. From 20 to 10 feet I have a slug jacked in and ready. When he hits 12 feet and hasn't slowed down, I'm unloading my gun by the time he hits 10 feet.

LOL

Just thought this would be a fun thread to start for grins and giggles
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I beloieve this one's been done last year, but situation dictates was the general consensus.

- are you walking along a dark trail
    - are you streamside fishing
    -are you smoking some pork on a riverbank with a bunch of drunk fisherman joking about the Canadian fellow during peak bear season

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Who do you think you are Bob Mundon? Unloading your shotgun at 10 feet? A full on charge can exceed 25mph (thats apox 37fps). In terms of counting 1-2-3 I have to quote the great Ron White and say you might make it to wu....... :-) At 20 feet I'm lookin for my buddies leg!

Now seriously though having never been charged by a bear (been charged by a wild eyed women a time or two and a pack of 4 year olds once) I could not say what my comfort zone would be. As every situation like this is different I don't know but I would have my rifle up and ready on a charging bear before 20ft if time and distance allows. As to when to shoot? If you read about me in the obituaries you'll know to start shooting a little earlier!

Great post topic!
    John

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    What's your comfort zone on a bear charge?
    When do you start shooting?
    I use 20 feet as my rule for a charge, but will give em to 10 feet and then I'm opening fire.
    Why 10 to 20 you say? At 20 feet I'm ready to deal (I hope)
    At 20 feet I'll look in his eyes and watch his actions as to bluff or not. From 20 to 10 feet I have a slug jacked in and ready. When he hits 12 feet and hasn't slowed down, I'm unloading my gun by the time he hits 10 feet.

LOL

Just thought this would be a fun thread to start for grins and giggles
    LOL it shold be fun... give your answer then admit truley how many times you've

1 seen a charge

2 been charged

3 fired a shot.

JUST to measure armchairs...

never been charged myself.. never had a bluff... BEEEEEEN AWFUL close to some bears.. and the rest of them hang over the desk.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    LOL it shold be fun... give your answer then admit truley how many times you've

1 seen a charge

2 been charged

3 fired a shot.

JUST to measure armchairs...

never been charged myself.. never had a bluff... BEEEEEEN AWFUL close to some bears.. and the rest of them hang over the desk.
    H*ll Vince, probably wouldn't have time to get the first shot off.................lol
    Just fun to see the answers.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Who do you think you are Bob Mundon? Unloading your shotgun at 10 feet? A full on charge can exceed 25mph (thats apox 37fps). In terms of counting 1-2-3 I have to quote the great Ron White and say you might make it to wu....... :-) At 20 feet I'm lookin for my buddies leg!

Now seriously though having never been charged by a bear (been charged by a wild eyed women a time or two and a pack of 4 year olds once) I could not say what my comfort zone would be. As every situation like this is different I don't know but I would have my rifle up and ready on a charging bear before 20ft if time and distance allows. As to when to shoot? If you read about me in the obituaries you'll know to start shooting a little earlier!

Great post topic!
    John
    lol
    If a bear runs 37 feet per second and my slug goes 1000 ft/sec, that should work. If I just pump and shoot till he gets me, I should at least have glanced 3 slugs off his body. OOPs I meant 3 deadly shots in the body...............lol
    I left one shot out because of the normal human panic zone before reacting..............lol

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    lol
    If a bear runs 37 feet per second and my slug goes 1000 ft/sec, that should work. If I just pump and shoot till he gets me, I should at least have glanced 3 slugs off his body. OOPs I meant 3 deadly shots in the body...............lol
    I left one shot out because of the normal human panic zone before reacting..............lol
    I like your math.... LMAO

Some times they turn at ten yards and some times they don't.Be aware and trying to back-up at thirty yards with gun ready.At twenty might just as well stay still with gun ready.After that its up to you.If you shoot it follow till you kill it
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Maybe if people would start shooting when they SEE them, regardless of how far away (Legally of course), there would be more moose (Metal Creek area comes to mind)?

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Some times they turn at ten yards and some times they don't.Be aware and trying to back-up at thirty yards with gun ready.At twenty might just as well stay still with gun ready.After that its up to you.If you shoot it follow till you kill it
    At 20 feet I'm done with the bluff. I'm ready to shoot and kill. If the bear wants to call my bluff at 10 feet, he's already lost the bet.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My comfort zone is somewhere around 200 yards, or far enough away, I feel no immediate need to shoot, and can prepare in case I do.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by dammdoggs View Post
    Maybe if people would start shooting when they SEE them, regardless of how far away (Legally of course), there would be more moose (Metal Creek area comes to mind)?

Just a thought...
    I kinda get ya Damm, coming from NE Minnesota and watching the deer population go from great to nothing because they made the Timberwolf an endangered species which was BS.
    Oh ya, wolves only kill sick deer. My ars they do, they pack and run deer till their sick enough to kill.
    That ain't my honest opinion on this one. I watched em do it on the lake I lived on. How far can you run before you get sick and puke. That's my point. Ya, kill them predators so us humans can eat the game instead.
    Humans and predators can't sustain on the same food. Predators have to be controlled to the point that we can still hunt for food also. Can't control 1 if you don't control both,

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    My comfort zone is somewhere around 200 yards, or far enough away, I feel no immediate need to shoot, and can prepare in case I do.

Smitty of the North
    Thats funny Smitty, but I'm really the same. I'd rather see em that far away from me. I was river bank fishing a bunch 2 summers ago and had 2 different browns in the river by me, closest about 20 yards and neither of em even cared that I was there. That's normally how they act if they aren't disabled or whatever. My kinda bear. I don't wanna shoot em, but will if they p*ss me off. It was actually fun to watch em, but I had my hand on the trigger in any case........lol
    Another day I had a cow moose and a calf jump in the river behind me. The cow walked right up to me within touching distance. She turned her face right beside me eye to eye. That day I had my sawed off 12 sitting on the bank. Sure glad she was friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North
    Smart man!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like to be ready when they are 300 yards and looking in my general direction. If they step my way, well, it's time to put the cross hairs.....
    Had a big scare when I was 12 years old hunting in the Brooks Range. Had a sow charge to within 25 feet, I looked down at my .270, and made the decision my legs had a better chance of saving me then the pee shooter I was carrying. She was running full steam at me in the open at the top of a ridge, when I decided flight was best. I ran about 2 miles and never looked back. I'm sure she could have easily caught me and ate me, and I know it's not what your supposed to do, but I'm still here now, and super respectful of bears. Luckily, I live in an area where grizzly season is open year round.

Now I pack a .458 with 510 grain bullets, or my light .375 Ultra Mag. A lot of this is dependent upon each person's past experience.
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

If I see a bear at 20 feet, one of several scenarios is in place.

A) I'm at a zoo

B) I'm out of ammo and he is wounded or I missed a bunch and I'm about to die, or

C) He is dead

20 feet from a charging bear is too late.
    An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Except for the, I'm at a zoo if I see one, part. Never fired a shot or been charged though, and hope to keep it that way.

I have already decided to use the 21 foot rule (plus a few feet b/c bears are faster than people) and be ready as soon as I see it. Your bullet may go fast enough to catch a bear inside of ten feet, but it takes your brain 2 tenths of a second to simply process whether the bear is charging/bluffing or not and then you've got the time to actually react (let's say you're super human and we'll give you another tenth of a second). At 35 mph that bear traveled 15 feet before you could process and react to his charge/bluff.... effectively making your unshot 1000fps bullet useless.
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Well i am pretty self conscious about them... i give them a ton of respect, and know that not every bear i see is out to eat me... have not met one yet hat was... i have had them walk past me at 15 feet and not pay me any mind. while out bird hunting along fish streams, and do have one hanging that walked up to us... non aggressive but showed no fear... he was a young bear more curious then he should have been... turns out i am OUT TO EAT them... and i think they are getting the picture in a hurry... i have gone in on over a dozen bears tracked into the brush and close quartered dispatch with a side arm... so for me....

the distance is not the issue it is the demeanor of that bear at that moment... i am sure, VERY sure that anyone that spends a fair amount of time in the woods has been a lot closer to bears then they may relize... where do you think those tracks come from at night?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It depends entirely on the bear.

I've let some come within 20 feet because I was sure it was a false charge. I was ready to shoot one at 25 yards because he was dead serious and really needed shooting. He must have read my mind because he slowed and stopped, then turned away. I'll always believe it was more a case of changing his mind than a false charge.

Never been charged and never had to DLP shoot a bear. I have bean bagged bears who were showing curiosity about humans or our "stuff" and wandered too close. Those bears learn very quickly to give us more room. Been within sight (from maybe 5 yards out to hundreds) of many dozens of bears in the wilds and they mostly don't care about the presence of humans. When the bear knows you're there, they tend to go out of their way to avoid you just as much as we tend to avoid them in most cases.

Comfort zone distance? Cannot possibly say as there are way too many variables to take into account such as terrain, gun in hand, type of bear and what behavior it is exhibiting. However, 20 FEET is way too close to make a shoot/no shoot decision. That is only 7 yards away. If an animal is charging at a range of 7 yards and you don't already have lead in the air, the game is over and you've already lost. Ten feet? There's not even enough time left to pull the trigger.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast