Thread: Ice thickness in the valley

Default Ice thickness in the valley

Anybody checked the ice thickness yet in the valley? I'm itching to get out there. As soon as I hear of 6", I'm getting out there. I love fishing the early ice fishing season.

Just a skim so far, my lake was open as of two days ago.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Way too early to even think of ice fishing. Not hardly any ice anywhere. Give it 2 weeks at the minimum.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Prolly be more than 2 weeks. Still open water everywhere!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Is early season better than say Feb or march?
    The reason I ask is because theres not gonna be any shortage of ice fishing opportunities this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The reason I ask is because theres not gonna be any shortage of ice fishing opportunities this winter.
    I feel early ice can be more productive given oxygen levels are still high etc. But over the years I think more like you in that the risk reward thing just doesn't equal out. Plenty of time for me to wait until ice conditions stabilize and I can enjoy my time out there more instead of freaking out every time I hear it pop because I'm out too early. Believe me, I've got storys I'm too embarassed to share of my early days.....

Just a word of caution to you early ice fisherman.... (Don't be THAT guy!)
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I have had some of my best days on the ice in late November/early December. Oxygen levels are very high and fish are very active. They are trying to store up reserves for the winter, so they are feeding greedily. Sometimes I can't get my lure and bait down to the bottom before I got a fish biting it. February and March are okay for char in deep water and landlocked salmon, but the rainbow fishing definitely slows down come January and doesn't usually pick back up again until right before break up. That is just my opinion.

Any fresh reports on Ice Thickness? I'd like to get some kind of fishing in this coming weekend, I've haven't even attempted anything in 6 7 weeks, talk about having an itch!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

The first week or two of good ice is the best time hands down for Rainbows. They are actively moving around and feed heavily. After that the bite really slows down, especially in lakes with only Rainbows.

Late January to mid February is a good time for pike. Some of my best days have come over that time frame, probably fish starting to feed to get ready to spawn. March is ok, but if its too sunny things aren't that great.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Any fresh reports on Ice Thickness? I'd like to get some kind of fishing in this coming weekend, I've haven't even attempted anything in 6 7 weeks, talk about having an itch!

Fish On!
    I did a lap around Kepler Bradley lakes for you this morning (didn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm dying to ice fish), anyway it doesn't look too good. Echo looked like it still had some open water. I punched a couple of holes in canoe with the auger and it was 3" up until about 40' out (it was only about 2 1/2 feet deep and I didn't dare walk any further). I'd say give it a few more days.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I did a lap around Kepler Bradley lakes for you this morning (didn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm dying to ice fish), anyway it doesn't look too good. Echo looked like it still had some open water. I punched a couple of holes in canoe with the auger and it was 3" up until about 40' out (it was only about 2 1/2 feet deep and I didn't dare walk any further). I'd say give it a few more days.
    Well that's not too bad. Thanks for checking for all of us. 3" ain't too bad considering the warm weather we have been having for November. Maybe with this little cold snap we'll get some more ice soon.

Yes, thanks for the update. Might have to get out there this weekend...I'm dying to fish just as much as you are.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I thought I would go ahead and start up this thread again. If anybody goes out, please give a report of the ice thickness so that we are all safe for the final days of the season. Usually the fishing is hot this time of year, but it can also be dangerous. In particular around the shore. Thanks in advance for any updates.

Big Lake last weekend during the fishing derby was firm ice, no snow melt and two out of 3 holes I drilled were too deep for my auger. I didn't hit water on packed down ice areas. Spots that I could shovel off first I barely got through.

Today on Alexander Lake I was able to drill through about 30 inches of good ice no problem. No rot, no snow melt yet. Just back near home I noticed Rainbow Lake had one end of the lake was snow melt. The Susitna River and the Yentna Rivers are both solid. No punch that I saw. A little punchy off the trail but on the trail no problems.

We notice two cave ins on the Su but nothing that couldn't be avoided. No more night running for me. After next weekend we are done on the River....

Good report Alaskawoodsman! I can wait till theres some decent leads forming in the river. The trout will be voracious!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Anybody know how the ice is looking on Big Lake the past few days?

Finger Lake almost bottomed out my auger on Sunday Mar. 19th. I know it was a while ago...but hey...

Went out today with my boys. Nothing to brag about. Just little ones. But the ice was at least 2 ft thick still.