Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slugs or 00?

Default Slugs or 00?

Hope this topic has not been beaten to death. Just joined the Forum.
    Just bought the wife a Stoeger Coach Gun for outdoor activity/camping use. Nice, inexpensive tool.
    With only two primary shots, been pondering what they should be. Could make an argument for everything from 8-shot up. Figuring this firearm will only be fired in distress at extremely close range with no time for a pattern spread, been leaning toward plugging it with the Brenneke Black Magic 3" Magnum slugs I have.
    Her shooting skills are solid, fundamentally.
    Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?
    Appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by DT360 View Post
    Just bought the wife a Stoeger Coach Gun for outdoor activity/camping use....been leaning toward plugging it with the Brenneke Black Magic 3" Magnum slugs I have....Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?
    I can't imagine that pulling the trigger on such a combo would be much fun....YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Has she shot it yet? A buddy of mine bought a double for his wife out at their cabin a while back. She fired it once. He ended up with the double and she ended up with the semi auto. Those light weight doubles kick like a mule with high brass loads.

Quote Originally Posted by DT360 View Post
    Just bought the wife a Stoeger Coach Gun for outdoor activity/camping use. Nice, inexpensive tool.
    With only two primary shots, been pondering what they should be. Could make an argument for everything from 8-shot up. Figuring this firearm will only be fired in distress at extremely close range with no time for a pattern spread, been leaning toward plugging it with the Brenneke Black Magic 3" Magnum slugs I have.
    Her shooting skills are solid, fundamentally.
    Anyone feel strongly one way or the other?
    Appreciate the input.
    I have a sawed off 12 for a protector gun for bears. 5 rounds and the first round is 00 buck for a face shot to slow him down just long enough to place 4 nicely placed slugs.
    In your case with a 2 shooter, maybe one of each and pray if you miss.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

When we are doing deterrent work on bears with steel shot we have a 00Buck on deck to slow down or break-up a charge if they happen to take exception at getting their arses burned and everything else in the tube is a Brenneke. But we're working with the advantage of pre-planning, having a few yards between us and the bears and being ready for a charge. For someone just out and about, I'd load it with the slugs and call it good.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    When we are doing deterrent work on bears with steel shot we have a 00Buck on deck to slow down or break-up a charge if they happen to take exception at getting their arses burned and everything else in the tube is a Brenneke. But we're working with the advantage of pre-planning, having a few yards between us and the bears and being ready for a charge. For someone just out and about, I'd load it with the slugs and call it good.
    Only reason I make my first load OO is for the occassional bear that would prefer to ambush you as to give you the time to place shots on a charge. I can pump off 5 shots faster than a bear can blink with my old model 10 rem.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I can't imagine that pulling the trigger on such a combo would be much fun....YMMV.
    Tried it, and went immediately to 2 3/4". If my wife showed interest, I'd let her get acquainted using trap loads and never let her try the heavies beforehand. I doubt she'd notice the recoil in an emergency, but it's got to be fun and comfortable for her to shoot it as much as she should in practice, then have some confidence in it.

I did that with her muzzleloader (a lightweight 54 caliber), letting her shoot it lots with light loads. Then I had her up it to 60 grain powder charges and told her that was a "deer" load. She did well with the 60 and shot it as well as the 30 grain charges she had been using.

Then I lied through my teeth and made her a custom powder measure labeled 60 grains. But it actually measures out 90 grains. If I told her she was shooting 90, she flat wouldn't do it. Sneaky, but for a good cause.

For an outdoor gun, put slugs in it. Buck does nothing for bear. Nine little 32-cal soft lead round balls have no business in the woods, though they can be great for around the house.

Get reduced recoil slugs for range practice so as not to ruin the slugging experience during training. In a real fight-or-die situation the extra umph of "real" slugs will not be noticed by the shooter.

Slip a stock shell carrier on it to carry a couple extra slugs, bean bags for running off a curious bear that is close but not threatening, and some bird shot to gather dinner if needed.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    For an outdoor gun, put slugs in it. Buck does nothing for bear. Nine little 32-cal soft lead round balls have no business in the woods, though they can be great for around the house.

Get reduced recoil slugs for range practice so as not to ruin the slugging experience during training. In a real fight-or-die situation the extra umph of "real" slugs will not be noticed by the shooter.

Slip a stock shell carrier on it to carry a couple extra slugs, bean bags for running off a curious bear that is close but not threatening, and some bird shot to gather dinner if needed.
    Did I just read you right? You'd rather shoot a charging bear on your first shot with a bean bag rather than using OO? Your frickin crazy. I'll go the double O in the face and blind him and then fill his neck full of slugs and paralyze the f---er
    Remind me not to rely on you as a guide in the woods......lol

Nope, you didn't read it right at all.

Keep a couple bean bags in the side saddle (or stock carrier). If you get one of those curious bears that isn't threatening and just wandering too close, you pull out the bean bag, take aim at the shoulder or rump and shoot the bear. It's called training. The bear will not want to mess with you anymore.

A charging blind bear isn't much better than a charging sighted bear. Don't waste time with buckshot. If you're going to kill the bear, then get to it. Slugs are the only way to go with a charging bear. If you can hit it with buckshot, you can hit it with a slug. Better to take a slight right or left of center slug and bust a shoulder (thereby actually limiting mobility) than pepper the bear with worthless pellets that will not do anything to slow or kill the bear.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Nope, you didn't read it right at all.

Keep a couple bean bags in the side saddle (or stock carrier). If you get one of those curious bears that isn't threatening and just wandering too close, you pull out the bean bag, take aim at the shoulder or rump and shoot the bear. It's called training. The bear will not want to mess with you anymore.

A charging blind bear isn't much better than a charging sighted bear. Don't waste time with buckshot. If you're going to kill the bear, then get to it. Slugs are the only way to go with a charging bear. If you can hit it with buckshot, you can hit it with a slug. Better to take a slight right or left of center slug and bust a shoulder (thereby actually limiting mobility) than pepper the bear with worthless pellets that will not do anything to slow or kill the bear.
    My reasoning on the first shot being OO is if a bear ambushes ya, no time to get the perfect shot, but you can nail at least part of his face, if you don't panic. Won't stop him of course, but will surely slow him for a second while you regroup and get the good shot. Then get busy on him with the big lead is all I'm saying. No, if a bear is charging me head on, sure, I'm going for the slugs, but I still have to give him that first shot of buck, cuz it's already in my gun and in the way.
    JMO

Don't depend on 00 buck for any use in bear protection. The likelihood of "blinding" a bear up close with buck is about zero. If you have time to aim at his face with buck, then you have time to aim at his face with a slug. Slugs are where its at. They penetrate far better than .36 cal round ball, also known as Buckshot, and will possibly break bones, something buckshot will probably never do. A standard 2 3/4" 1oz slug is far more efficient than buck for any animal except large groups of humans at distance.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

00 buck is a waste!SLUGS and then i choose Remington Buck Hammers. I have shot through deer the long ways with them. They work great in my rifled barrel and shoot fine in a smooth bore. For bear at close range in a smooth bore they would be fine!!! The do kick like a mule. the slug is harder than others so less deforming. They truly are great slugs!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Don't depend on 00 buck for any use in bear protection. The likelihood of "blinding" a bear up close with buck is about zero. If you have time to aim at his face with buck, then you have time to aim at his face with a slug. Slugs are where its at. They penetrate far better than .36 cal round ball, also known as Buckshot, and will possibly break bones, something buckshot will probably never do. A standard 2 3/4" 1oz slug is far more efficient than buck for any animal except large groups of humans at distance.
    Your right OO isn't gonna stop a bear. I'm not stupid. I'm just after that stun effect to give me time to regroup and get down and dirty with him. That OO in the face is definetly going to slow a bear for that split second you need to role and catch him in the neck with a slug or 2. I would never body shoot a charging bear. Neck or nothing. Paralyse the beast or your dinner. Scene too many deer run 100 + yards with their heart blown right out of their body. Can't imagine a bear being any different.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    00 buck is a waste!SLUGS and then i choose Remington Buck Hammers. I have shot through deer the long ways with them. They work great in my rifled barrel and shoot fine in a smooth bore. For bear at close range in a smooth bore they would be fine!!! The do kick like a mule. the slug is harder than others so less deforming. They truly are great slugs!!
    Never heard of buck hammers, but will look into it. Basically in a slug gun, you want a good slug that crushes bone and that's what I want. Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find me some of them.

Sorry guys but IMHO there is no substitute for a rifle that throws large bullets and generates massive amounts of energy. The slugs just don't do it for me. I understand that we were talking about DT360's wife but if she can shoot that coach gun with 3 inch slugs then.... Before I'd go and shake hands with Mr. Brown he's gonna have to choke down some .375 or 45-70 rounds. Again this is only my opinion and if I had to choose between slugs or buck shot it would be the slugs hands down. I have heard from my old neighbor that up on the slope they load the first shot with bird shot and the rest with slugs to protect them from polar bears. I'm told that the bird shot gives you some time to unload the rest of the shotgun. I believe they also recomend steel shot due to the fact that it doesn't flatten out and penetrates better than soft lead. Again this is only hear say and not from experience. Never done it and hope to never have to!

Buck is perfect for wounding bears and after eating you and his health goes down he will keep tring to eat the easiest thing to catch.The best buck might do is turn a bear but then that wounded bear will take easy game.Buck is like shooting a bear with a half dozen lead lightweight 38spc rounds.A good slug at close range is wonderfull in its effect.As a LEO year ago we dispatched six bears in seven days with one shot each of the cheap federal 1 1/4oz shells.You do not want to wound a bear and put the trouble on someone else.Takeing out eyes or nose or busting off teath is just that,trouble down the road.
    And yes the search function would show many of these post.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Buck is perfect for wounding bears and after eating you and his health goes down he will keep tring to eat the easiest thing to catch.The best buck might do is turn a bear but then that wounded bear will take easy game.Buck is like shooting a bear with a half dozen lead lightweight 38spc rounds.A good slug at close range is wonderfull in its effect.As a LEO year ago we dispatched six bears in seven days with one shot each of the cheap federal 1 1/4oz shells.You do not want to wound a bear and put the trouble on someone else.Takeing out eyes or nose or busting off teath is just that,trouble down the road.
    And yes the search function would show many of these post.
    Missed my point Amigo I think.
    I have never wounded a bear in my life and not finished him off.
    My point was slow him long enough on a full charge to a half charge so I had time to stage the good slug shots is all I was saying.
    I know what you mean totally about leaving a wounded bear in the woods. Not good medicine.

My point is if you can shoot good enough to hit the bear and slow him with buck why not kill him that same first shot with a slug.At close range the room for error is the same buck or slug
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    My point is if you can shoot good enough to hit the bear and slow him with buck why not kill him that same first shot with a slug.At close range the room for error is the same buck or slug
    A OO blast in his face is gonna make him stand up to rub his eyes and face. Now I have an open neck shot with slugs to paralyse him. I don't wanna body shoot a mad bear on a charge when he's in my 20 foot comfort zone. Too late then. A body shot only makes you finish him with your knife while your being mauled..............lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast