Thread: Late August/September Haul Road

Default Late August/September Haul Road

Hey, I am new to this site and just wanted some info on the haul road. for example how far up will i have to drive. I know that caribou herd migration routes are not that prodictable but i was just wondering the general location they will be during late august/ early september. One more thing would Kayaks come in handy up there or not

any info would be great Thanks

You never know til you get there. Lot of people by the road. You need to get off the road, and you may want to consider bringing a raft to float the Sag or just get across it. I suppose a kayak would work, but seems pretty small.

welcome, use the search function. If there is one thing that has been covered on this site it's the haul road hunt.

I was up there late this year from the 7-10 of sept, most the bou had moved through but there were patches of them moving just past happy valley on both sides of the river including on the briads of the river. They were mostly cow and calves and one small bull, but the bou on the other side of the sag had a few real nice bulls, just wasnt willing to cross the river for em in my inflatable canoe, be careful if you cross the sag this river it claims a few lifes every year. there are some shallow places near the pump station(first station where you first see the river) that would make it easy for smaller water craft. I didnt go all the way up to deadhorse, but i did dive pass franklin bluffs and again seen some bou but not the big herds from last year. In 09 I hunted near toolik lake just north of the gravel pit rd, this was a hot spot last year, but that was on the 1 of sept, and we bagged a few bulls out 5 miles. that was the first spot you normaly first see bou, you dont realy have to even make it to the sag, but at least that far, oh and dont forget your poles and a spiner, the grayling fishing is unbelivable!!! 16 inchers all day.

thank you all for the info