Thread: 300WSM for brown bear?

Default 300WSM for brown bear?

So its posible that next year I may go on a brown bear hunt. Currently Im shooting 66.5grs of H-4831 below a 180gr Barns TSX's out of my 300WSM at 2775fps. I didn't do any further load development with any other "faster" powders cuz my gun liked it there and it was fine for black bears. My question is, is it a reasonable idea to work up a hotter load and expect to take a brownie (that is before he eats me). Just to be clear I'm a little skeptical about this myself. I have had a couple close encounters with brown bears before and understand there size and power. The reason I'm asking is that a friend of mine said I might be fine with this (I would be hunting with him and he carries a 35 Whelan). One part of me says just get a new gun. On the other hand I know the 30-06 has taken many a brownie and a hot 300WSM would be a bit more than that. Plus the wife is all ready going to kill me when she sees the bill from the gun I'm having built right now, let alone when I ask to buy another one. Any information or opinions would be apprecaited.

Thanks

your 300wsm will kill any bear as long as you hit it right. Just work up a load you are comfortable with. That said I will never try and convince a man that they don't need another gun! <grin>

[QUOTE=LuJon;826226That said I will never try and convince a man that they don't need another gun! <grin>[/QUOTE]

I will agree......... I think that most might say that a 180 grn is a little on the lighter side for the big boys and tell you wife to call me and I'll tell her that you need a 375 H&H for christmas

Your 300WSM load will be fine for brown bear. Had this same conversation with 3 AK. guides. Your bullet selection is excellent but I get 2925 fps with a 180gr Partition in my 300WSM. I load 69gr. H4831SC or 64gr. H4350. But if ole Betsy likes the load its all good.
    The guides all concur, put a premium bullet in the right place and things will work out.

But yes a 375 H&H is "better".

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I will agree......... I think that most might say that a 180 grn is a little on the lighter side for the big boys and tell you wife to call me and I'll tell her that you need a .375 H&H for christmas
    yeah good luck with that one.... i have been asking for a .50 cal for xmas for years .... and there are only 2 digits after the decimal on that one... (hey maybe i should use that argument)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    yeah good luck with that one.... i have been asking for a .50 cal for xmas for years .... and there are only 2 digits after the decimal on that one... (hey maybe i should use that argument)
    And the zero is just a place holder!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

If you are comfortable with the gun and confident in your ability to put the shot where it needs to go, then i wouldnt hesitate. The question is, would you?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Without a doubt your 300 wsm CAN kill any Brown, h**l it'll kill an elephant also it hit properly. IMO you would be better off asking for that .375 for X-Mas that a few of the folks have recommended. You may not need the extra "umph" but maybe you will. Kenetic energy is a wonderful thing when it comes to stopping a bear that intends to make you his dinner...Just my 2 cents.

I killed my brown bear with my Remington 300WSM, 180g Nosler Partitions. No problems whatsoever.

My Kodiak BB wasn't a big one mind you, the big one got away, but 69 grains of RE 19 with a 180 gr Barnes TSX in my 300 WSM worked just fine. Shot placement is key and make the FIRST shot count! Best of luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the replys. Sounds like it can definatly be done, and since I'm not a huge fan of heavy recoil I'll hold off on the big gun. Although there is room in my safe....

I say if you shoot the rifle well and are comfortable with it, use it. I have shot 2 grizz with my .300wsm. Shot placement is the key. Don't take bad shot. I would also say not to take a frontal shot, too much room for error. Take a good broadside shot and all will be good. I shot my grizz this fall with the .300wsm and it got a little interesting. The first shot was a frontal shot slightly turned. Bear went down and came back up running, I shot two shot at it running broadside and after the third shot, it rounded a tree and came straight for me. I only had one shot left and at about 30 yards, put the 180 tsx into it's head as it was coming at me like a freight train! Thus the reason I say to make sure the shot is a solid broadside/quartering shot. I have larger rifles, but chose this one because I shoot it well and am confident with it. It proved true on this hunt!

i'd advise to take your gun hunting...especially since your hunting with a partner (and i'm assuming you'll be backing each other up) wouldnt really worry about velocity, just bullet selection and shot placement. i tend to advise clients with 30 caliber rifles to stay out of the big bones up front...meaning taking only broadside lung/heart shots or quartering away shots (aim for opposite shoulder on the quartering away angle) and of course, keep shooting till he quits movin, both you and your buddy. keep your shots within short distances and pic your shots when the bear is calm and unalarmed...your admittedly recoil sensitive, and i find that recoil sensitive people dont appreciate 375 sized punch without the aid of muzzle breaks and porting (which can lead to flinching problems from noise if your not accustomed to them) so i wouldnt advise buying a "bear" rifle...

at the chance of sounding repetetive....shot placement, shot placement, shot placement....

i'll also say that postition and alertness of the bear seems to have something to do with available backup shot opportunities...calm unallerted bears being much more readily grounded when hit good with the first shot....alert bears seem to allready have a bit of adrenaline going and tend to run very quickly at the shot...just my observations.

you have a year to put in some real world practice with your rifle...i'd get off the bench and be able to shoot it well from all real world positions from offhand to prone and mentally commit yourself to getting as close as possible for your shot....have fun and good luck. theres nothing like stalking the big bears...

Excellent advice.

.243 is just fine, so we know the .30 cal is well known to be effective as well, providing you can place the shot.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I like to use the excuse that I need this type of gun to shoot this type of animal. It seems to grease the tracks well when it comes to the other half. Either way good luck kille em dead.